High End Video Stabilization: Mercalli 2 > NewBlue Stabilizer - RC Groups
Mar 20, 2012, 09:18 PM
Mini-Review

High End Video Stabilization: Mercalli 2 > NewBlue Stabilizer

its really not even close. NewBlue takes tweak after tweak after tweak. Mercalli just works. & what's the deal with NBS changing the color/white balance? And the result is muddy & not as sharp with more artifacts.
it looks worse
it doesn't work as well

so M2 > NBS

thought about uploading it as a 3840*2160 video so everyone could see the natives all together, but i didn't have the time to render it (gah!?) and how many people can even play that resolution at 30fps?

this also demonstrates why you should ALWAYS have a safety line on your gopro. (FWIW, when i told my buddy, "hey man... you need to take your shoestring and tie it to the gopro for when the board nose dives and shears the mount off." i meant tie it to the board, not the ski-rope lol! details details details!)

NewBlue vs Mercalli 2 Stabilization GoPro (1 min 55 sec)
Last edited by Toysrme; Mar 21, 2012 at 02:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 21, 2012, 01:59 AM
Over 100 views and no comments. I wonder if others are pondering the same as me...

Could you please explain what we're looking at here? What is NewBlue and what is Mercalli 2 ?
Mar 21, 2012, 02:21 AM
you're looking at a comparison between the top two image stabilization programs/plug-ins that remain "easy to use"
ProDAD's Mercalli 2.x
NewBlue's Stabilization

compatible with most major NLE (non linear editor) and composting software:
adobe (after effects / premier)
edius
power director
vegas
corel/ulead
apple's final cut pro
magix video...
and basically anything else that can use adobe bridge, but that's all i can think of off the top of my head.

you would recognize ProDAD and NewBlue if you've noticed some of the "bigger name" fpv videos have started having an increasing amount of completely corny stock video & image editing as of late... it's because said people are starting to learn basic video editing/composting and have run across generic plug-in suites. most notably ProDAD's Vitascene & the gamut of NewBlue plugins (i will admit, i do like and use a few of NB's flash transitions tho. but so many of the actual effects are so corny)

now if you actually wanted to rank image stabilization methods it would go:
(manually) in after effects with Trapcode or Boris > mercalli > new blue > final cut pro > manually in default after effects (no worse than FCP, but a lot more work) > deshaker > vegas / power director.
Last edited by Toysrme; Mar 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM.
Mar 21, 2012, 03:56 AM
Cool - many thanks for the clarification
Mar 21, 2012, 09:13 AM
After Effects has industry leading stabilization (for the price) - the top price goes to Smoke though.
Back in the days, Combustion's stabilization was better than AE's, but Autodesk discontinued that. :-(
For those who don't want to spend the $$ and get a descent stabilization software Motion can also do the trick

Alex -
Mar 21, 2012, 12:46 PM
AE's default image stabilization is not very good. it's little better than the built-ins. plus you get to deal with boarders on your own.

AE was included for those that want to waste a whole bunch of time manually tracking & re-smoothing the footage with Mark Christiansen's method.
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial...shaky_footage/

too much work! (and if it really worked that well, there wouldn't be so many 3rd party motion trackers =D )
Apr 22, 2013, 02:55 AM
Hi Toysrme

what settings did you use on the Mercalli 2:

Pan Shot Comp % =
Avoid Border % =
Camera Dynamics ? (on/off)
Rolling Shutter Comp ? (on/off)
and any other settings in Advance ?