Mar 20, 2012, 05:55 PM
God is my pilot
Thread OP
Discussion

Help a fixed wing 3D guy pick a chopper

I've been flying planes for 6 years. I'm a decent 3D pilot.

So I'm looking for a helicopter for the park. I was thinking of a multiplex FunCopter for it's ability to fly outside which is mostly where I would fly. But the MCPX looks like like it could be flown indoor and out and offer some 3D interest to grow into.

I've played with heli's on real flight over the last several years and am pretty comfortable with TRex 450 there.

Thoughts?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2012, 07:03 PM
Jim,

IMHO you need to ask the rotor guys/gals.
Don
Mar 20, 2012, 07:08 PM
God is my pilot
Thread OP
Don, you are so right
Mar 21, 2012, 05:20 AM
I am new but have msr, msrx, 120sr, mcpx, and blade 450. My quick synopsis so far

Msr: Indoor or no wind outdoor. Auto corrects itself. Good in home first heli to puts around with
Msrx: still fixed pitch but doesn't auto correct itself. Aka if you push the stick in a direction it goes in that direction until you move stick in some other direction. Msr on other hand will stop by itself and hover if you let go of stick. Msrx is similar to mcpx but no real inverted/3d option.
120sr: same like msr but bigger so it can handle outdoor wind a little. Maybe up to 5-10mph. Especially if you upgrade the motor. It is cheap and straight drop in. If you upgrade it you will require higher C rated batteries though FYI.
Mcpx: probably what you are looking for if you want some 3d/inverted option. It is small but way more powerful than the others listed. Good starter for 3d/inverted flight although a lot of people say the larger are easier to start with. The downside of larger just like in planes is 1. Cost and possibly 2. Size. I can fly mcpx just about anywhere whereas 450 needs some space to really enjoy it IMO.
450: blown up versions. You want flybarless (fbl) to get into heavy stuff. Blade 450 is not fbl but can be through mods.

Battery sizes
Msr 150-160
Msrx same
120sr 500
Mcpx 250-300
450 2200

Keep in mind mcpx is not considered true 3d as it doesn't have the power to perform rapid tic tocs but it can handle rainbows and other aerobatic maneuvers.

I went through the profession listed above and think it is a good one for first timers when possible. You may be able to skip around a bit since I had no rc experience whatsoever when I started. Some people say the easy ones start bad habits because they are designed for new users not proper flying per se but it was still the right progression for me. If I started on mcpx or 450 I would be buying a lot of parts fast.
Mar 21, 2012, 11:35 AM
God is my pilot
Thread OP
Thanks Syner! Great description!
Mar 21, 2012, 01:53 PM
The MCPX is probably one of the best to learn on in doors or out. They are very crash worthy and can handle up to 20 mph winds( I have flown them in such winds, although a handful), they can be modified to use a brushless motor which will greatly improve performance and allow more aggressive flying.

The best piece of advice I can give is SIM, SIM, SIM!!!

Good luck

Doug
Last edited by 2Drum; Mar 21, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Mar 21, 2012, 04:30 PM
I'm not a 3d helicopter guy, but I've flown helis for 3 years now and I can hover, do sport flying, nose-in, stall turns, figure 8s etc. Of my fleet, the one heli that has aways worked and flown great is the Thunder Tiger mini-titan. I have it running flybarless with beastx and it is a dream to fly. All my align helis and clones have been nothing but trouble.

I also agree the MCPX is a great heli. It and the mini-titan are the goto helis in my fleet. It would be a great starter heli to learn and then move on to the mini titan (450 size) when you can hover.
Mar 28, 2012, 11:52 AM
God is my pilot
Thread OP
I picked up a used mCPx to get my feet wet. Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply