Mar 20, 2012, 10:49 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Dorado Maiden video in 30mph

Maidened the Dorado last weekend in brisk clearing winds on the San Francisco coast. The Dorado is a heavy build at 79oz due to a carbon spar down the empennage and the elevator servo in the tail.

The airplane flies big but has a very nice roll rate due to huge control surfaces and big throws. Butterfly with the big flaps is awesome- I was able to fly it backwards for about 100' to land.

Click on full frame- the video is pretty wide angle.

(3 min 2 sec)
Last edited by winterstick; Mar 20, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2012, 10:53 AM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
NICE! I like it... cool to see more precision aerobatics. That spot is perfect for it

Pretty courageous flying for the maiden... must've been pretty similar to the Minivec

Swiss Peter has just put together a superlight Dorado with intentions to VTPR it... we'll see how that goes!

Congrats, looks like fun

Steve
Last edited by surfimp; Mar 20, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
Mar 20, 2012, 12:15 PM
If it can-it will!
Quite a blow on there for a maiden.
Nice- yep, those flaps are summat else!
Mar 21, 2012, 07:56 AM
Red Merle ALES VII SJ
Nice! Real Nice!

Now that's the kind of flying I like to do on the slope!

Congratulations on the successful maiden. It appears to me in the video that you've been flying this model for quite sometime, it surely didn't look like a maiden flight! You made it look real easy.

Curtis
Montana
Mar 21, 2012, 08:32 AM
chronic in training
nice spot. where in the bay area is this??
Mar 21, 2012, 10:18 AM
Semper Fidelis
Sweet flying!

Looks like you enjoy it already, and your boom mod made good with the landing. I absolutely love mine and have yet to put ballast in it. It looks like yours recovers just as nice as mine with those stick bash tumbles.

@Steve- Can't beleive Peter is building one of these after all the trash he spoke about it after seeing mine.
Mar 21, 2012, 01:00 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Haha yeah I know right? But he was at SUSA, weighed the parts, and decided he could make a VTPR ship out of it. He has the Vector III and Minivec too. He likes to test lots of planes!

Steve
Mar 21, 2012, 01:12 PM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Loved the maiden, and you've got more guts than I do to launch her into that wind, although at that weight you might have needed it? Great video, and nice flying! Also, as Grfcon asked where is this location? It looks like a great place to fly!
Mar 21, 2012, 02:44 PM
Shut up and fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grfcon
nice spot. where in the bay area is this??
TSTSNBN

"The Spot That Shall Not Be Named"
Mar 21, 2012, 05:49 PM
auto-tune remix
Thank you
Mar 21, 2012, 05:51 PM
Wind Powered
Great video man. Love the rolling turns and snaps.
cheers.
Mar 21, 2012, 11:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle
TSTSNBN

"The Spot That Shall Not Be Named"
Some call it Mecca. Others, Dante's Inferno. It laughs at double 8oz carbon layup and eats kevlar for breakfast. If it were a mountain, skiers would say "You fall, you die". I once saw a brick with a servo and a popsicle stick do 200' half pipes there. It's actual existence is denied by both those who know and those who don't.
Mar 22, 2012, 12:24 AM
auto-tune remix
Maybe we can blindfold RobH, drive him across a couple of bridges, through some sketchy neighborhoods, feed him some Lumpia, and then take him to the spot and take the blindfold off.
Mar 22, 2012, 10:41 PM
Could get it on olerc.com, free shipping for all gliders.
Mar 22, 2012, 11:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerc
Could get it on olerc.com, free shipping for all gliders.
Now that's what I call random

Quick Reply