Oct 04, 2012, 11:06 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk
I have seen this discussion on several threads about parallel VS serial charging.
I may be wrong on this, but I thought this is the difference.
If you parallel charge, would all your batteries not need to be the same starting voltage. I would think when one battery gets to full voltage, the charger would cut out leaving some of the other batteries not fully charge.
In the series method, each battery is an individual cell, so the charger would balance each cell and get all the batteries to full voltage similar to balance charging a 3 cell battery.
You guys have more experience with multiple charging and I need to set up something to charge batteries for the MiniCP and a V120DO2S. Getting too many batteries.

I parallel charge all the time.

Question: What happens if I connect packs with different states of charge?
Answer: A current will flow between the packs. However, this current is not very high, even if one pack is full and the other depleted.
Yet, it should be avoided to connect packs with a state of charge differing over 50%

Make sure the cells are close in voltage before hooking them up to the charge board, within 20% or so seems within reason.

Here is a good thread.

About parallel charging of Lixx / PB packs.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932319

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&postcount=93

Tom
Last edited by Tom Z; Oct 04, 2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Added another link
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2012, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z
I parallel charge all the time.

Question: What happens if I connect packs with different states of charge?
Answer: A current will flow between the packs. However, this current is not very high, even if one pack is full and the other depleted.
Yet, it should be avoided to connect packs with a state of charge differing over 50%

Make sure the cells are close in voltage before hooking them up to the charge board, within 20% or so seems within reason.

Here is a good thread.

About parallel charging of Lixx / PB packs.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932319

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&postcount=93

Tom
For the reasons stated below, I don't think the text I boldfaced above is technically correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama
When I am not sure of how much current will flow between 2 cells connected in parallel, I put an Amp meter between them to check on the initial current flow.
So far, the initial/peak current flow has not been that much.
The one exception was that once as a test, I connected a fully charged Hyperion 240mAh cell to one at ~20% charge (3.7V):
my ampmeter got pinned and I quickly disconnected.
So in the extremes, there can be quite a current surge.
It is difficult to know what amount of current caused flying-llama's Ammeter to pin/peg without knowing the specifics of the meter; however, I believe most hobbyist Ammeters have a maximum current measurement limitation of 10 A.

Also, within the Julez' post that was referenced above, there's a link (https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...allel-charging) to a very informative article about parallel charging. At the end of that article, the author provides data on current measurements he made when he parallel connected LiPo's that had 0.2V difference. Here is an excerpt:

"The initial (peak) current represents a rate of just over 7C and within 2sec it was below 4C."

At the end of the article he states:

"The next test will be with the same packs but using a fully charged and fully discharged packs."

I read that article when I first read Julez' post a few years ago, and it doesn't look like it has been updated since then. I hope he's OK, and/or hasn't burned down the place.
Last edited by i812; Oct 05, 2012 at 08:26 AM.
Oct 05, 2012, 08:31 AM
Always wondered , would it be possible to fly the mini in rate mode? Or its gyro only does heading hold?
Oct 05, 2012, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk
Always wondered , would it be possible to fly the mini in rate mode? Or its gyro only does heading hold?
I think it has only HH, because if you set gyro gain below 50% it goes in test mode (led flashing red/green)
where all gyros are disabled (also tail one) and so it is unflyable.

In older WK RX gyro gain below 50% goes in rate mode, so walkera decided to change strategy.
Oct 05, 2012, 02:12 PM
*sadface*
Anyone know if the same applies to the master cp?
Oct 05, 2012, 04:00 PM
Brent 黑雁
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk
*sadface*
Anyone know if the same applies to the master cp?
Yes, it applies to the MasterCP as well. At 50% the gyro is disabled and is in adjustment(setup) mode.
Oct 14, 2012, 04:14 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
Thread OP
Bob at Helircstore sent me this prototype canopy for the Walkera Genius CP/Mini CP.
Different colors and patterns will be coming soon and I will post pictures of them.

They are USA Made 100% including the Plastic and Airbrushing paint and US Labor.

Tom

Prototype Canopy for Walkera Genius CP/Mini CP (1 min 13 sec)

-
Last edited by Tom Z; Jul 10, 2013 at 08:06 AM.
Oct 16, 2012, 08:35 PM
Brent 黑雁
I just got my MiniCP, set it up for Devo8S and had a short test flight today.
It is actually an amazing little heli so far. My first impression is it handles as well as my V120D02S.
Oct 23, 2012, 11:41 AM
I'm still using the Devo 7 that came with my ebay used mini cp purchase. I finally got it set up pretty good, but when it gets a little far away I seem to loose communications (about 40')
So my question is how do you tell which transmitter power out the transmitter is 10mw or 100mw ?? Not that I want to get that little thing too far away (hard to see) Ha !
Oct 23, 2012, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by segdohbird
I'm still using the Devo 7 that came with my ebay used mini cp purchase. I finally got it set up pretty good, but when it gets a little far away I seem to loose communications (about 40')
So my question is how do you tell which transmitter power out the transmitter is 10mw or 100mw ?? Not that I want to get that little thing too far away (hard to see) Ha !
I put deviation firmware on my 8s. Never messed with the devo firmware. Not the answer you wanted I'm sure but it is possible for Devo 6(s)/8(s)/10.
Oct 23, 2012, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by j35u5fr34k
I put deviation firmware on my 8s. Never messed with the devo firmware. Not the answer you wanted I'm sure but it is possible for Devo 6(s)/8(s)/10.
Also how fresh are your batteries? My 8s was cutting out yesterday due to low voltage. My Mini CP just fell out of the sky several times.
Oct 23, 2012, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Can you see firmware version?
It usually ends with an a or b and that's tells you 10 or 100mW.
Compare with versions at walkeras home page.
Oct 23, 2012, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palle_Plutt
Can you see firmware version?
It usually ends with an a or b and that's tells you 10 or 100mW.
Compare with versions at walkeras home page.
Yea I'll check when I get home
So a=10mw and b=100mw ???
Oct 23, 2012, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Yea I'll check when I get home
So a=10mw and b=100mw ???
I think it's the other way around.
A=100mW
Check FDR's site.
http://rc.fdr.hu/devo.php#devo7
Oct 23, 2012, 04:58 PM