Mar 18, 2012, 04:32 AM
Thermal Wrangler
Thread OP
Discussion

Any Open Source / CC CAD Files for gliders?

I was wondering why I haven't seen any CAD files for F3B / F3J / F3K / F3F gliders available as Open Source or Creative Commons License.

Kudos to Prof. Mark Drela for releasing the files for Super Gee / Supra AVA but wouldn't it be great if you could download the Rhino CAD file to a glider, take it a CAD/CAM shop and get a set of plugs machined.

Naturally, if the designer had done his work (closed paths and surfaces that match up with no holes) the machinist wouldn't have to tweak the drawings and it'd be a pretty quick job.

It would eliminate a step in the process that otherwise would be beyond the modeller who hasn't grasped CAD design yet but has the nous to make a set of moulds and lay up a glider.
Last edited by DrFragnasty; Mar 18, 2012 at 05:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2012, 09:29 AM
Money.
Mar 18, 2012, 09:49 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
I have shared CAD files and even most of the toolpaths for my Fr3aK F3K design.

They're scattered about on the forums, usually in a zip file that contains the drawing, toolpaths, and notes about each particular part. At one point I had all of the files assembled on my website but I've had a change of hosting companies and haven't gotten them re-published yet.

What's the harm in publishing "last year's" airplane and keeping the current stuff more secretive?

Even with the toolpaths available, normal modelers with machinists help won't usually be able to make anything usable. You almost have to draw the parts with the construction methods in mind so that you can properly fabricate the molds. This is one of the reasons that I've used rather simple intersections between the wing and fuse for example, so that if someone chooses to CNC my fuselage but bag their own wings... they can.
Mar 18, 2012, 02:09 PM
I'm getting the hang of it and what Tom is saying is quite true.
Even if some modelers are able to understand the machining and get access to machines it
could cost allot of money too.

This is why I started to get my hands dirty and do everything like Tom does.
Long term it is less money and many pleasurable moments are had in the process.

I do think that last year designs could be usefull for those like me who don't have a clue about Aerodynamics but have a platform to replicate and learn in the process.

I would like to share what I have in the near future but need to make sure that they are correct so that others don't have to do any mods or corrections.

Oz
Mar 23, 2012, 02:35 AM
Stirring the pot
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrinade
I'm getting the hang of it.....

Oz
What you have done so far looks great!
Keep at it!
Mar 23, 2012, 03:17 AM

Rcn09

I've uploaded the RCN09 which has a HM51 wing profile for those interested.
It is not my design I'm trying to remember the websites name that I got it from.
I think it was RC-Network.
Mar 23, 2012, 03:02 PM
G_T
G_T
It was a project of a group in Germany to come up with a 1-design for a group of people who were learning to build their planes. The object was a plane which was a decent flier, that many people could make parts for.

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/forum....php/234-RCN09

Sorry I can't post the translated link here as Google Translate is blocked here at work. But you can go to the www.rc-network.de link in my thread ( https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1256844 ) and find RCN09 at the top of the list, set up for English translation.

Gerald
Apr 09, 2012, 04:46 AM

Supergee 2 Cad

I've got the to share for anyone interested.
Apr 09, 2012, 05:36 AM
Thermal Wrangler
Thread OP

Super Gee 2 | Rhino CAD File

Hi Oz,
Wonderful, thanks for sharing.

Chris.

Quick Reply