Nov 19, 2017, 12:16 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Nice! You gone with bright orange LE and white TE? I find that scheme brilliant to see!! This one is going to look tops!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2017, 02:40 AM
Where is the inspiration
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON
Nice! You gone with bright orange LE and white TE? I find that scheme brilliant to see!! This one is going to look tops!
the moulds are white, so the back half should be natural carbon.

you never can tell exactly how our models will look until you pull them out.
Nov 19, 2017, 02:53 AM
Where is the inspiration
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercando
Groovy

If you can, please share your layup schedule

This will be quite light.

center section will be
200gcarbon biaxial,
1mm lanor core mat, 4 x 300g Uni Carbon (50mm, 45mm, 35mm, 25,), 200g kevlar Hinge (25mm)
100g biaxial carbon
End graine balsa Spar caps. 24mm, Aileron and Drag spar will be carbon sock over straws or carbon sock over blue foam.

Tips will be
100gcarbon biaxial,
1mm lanor core mat, 2x 300g Uni Carbon (50mm, 35mm,), 200g kevlarHinge (25mm)
100g biaxial carbon
End graine balsa Spar caps. 24mm, Aileron and Drag spar will be carbon sock over straws or carbon sock over blue foam.

Stab will be
100gcarbon biaxial,
0.5mm balss, 4 x 300g Uni Carbon (10mm,), 100g kevlar Hinge (25mm)
50g glazz.

fuzelarg will be
2x100g carbon biaxial, nose cone to rear end with some 1mm canor cormat in the fin
carbon tows running from nose cone 50% into the fin faning out.
300g biaxial carbon from nose cone 10% into the fin.
Nose cone area will be 2 x 200g kevlar. (This lay up may go lighter. need tho think more about it.)

Now just need to try stick to this
Nov 19, 2017, 04:37 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Sounds pretty heavy to me! Lol my latest synergy I built was 400biax, 300uni le to control surface le, then 300uni le to rear of spar, tip panels were minus the second layer of uni.

Fuse was 3oz glass, 300 uni to just in front of wing 3 oz glass again and heaps of glass from wing the forward, staggering layers forward.

Stab was 3oz glass, 0.8 balsa, 3oz glass and sock spars.

This did 315 on a rough day at tekapo before I chickened out
Nov 19, 2017, 05:15 AM
AvB
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Hey Will,
when you say "4 x 300g Uni Carbon (50mm, 45mm, 35mm, 25,)"

... do you mean that you're laying those down as spanwise spar caps, four strips, of decreasing width each strip? So outside of the spar caps the centre section layup would be
200 biaxal
core mat
100g biaxial

and that's all?
Nov 19, 2017, 12:31 PM
Where is the inspiration
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB
Hey Will,
when you say "4 x 300g Uni Carbon (50mm, 45mm, 35mm, 25,)"

... do you mean that you're laying those down as spanwise spar caps, four strips, of decreasing width each strip? So outside of the spar caps the centre section layup would be
200 biaxal
core mat
100g biaxial

and that's all?
yip

Its a light one
Nov 19, 2017, 01:28 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Yeah I also had that problem with the end not tucking in, reckon we need more pleats in the bags?
Nov 19, 2017, 01:34 PM
Where is the inspiration
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON
Yeah I also had that problem with the end not tucking in, reckon we need more pleats in the bags?
Yip.

This is its not just the bag.
Its also the peel ply, release film and breather cloth. as the vac come on it locks them down and then they will not move.
So doing these in 3 parts may be better at letting them slide over each other.
Nov 19, 2017, 02:37 PM
Where is the inspiration
Thread OP
I though I had posted these before
This is the second GA, Well using the first ever tips.

the groove I am building now will be the same colour as the Fuzelarge.
Nov 19, 2017, 03:06 PM
He who dares ... repairs!
I guess your garage is a bit warmer than my outbuilding - yesterday I started moulding a replacement fuz for my 60" ... only the resin is taking a full day to set in the cold even after hitting it with the heat gun a few times. BTW am keeping an eye on Wednesday's forecast...
Nov 19, 2017, 03:42 PM
Where is the inspiration
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobster
I guess your garage is a bit warmer than my outbuilding - yesterday I started moulding a replacement fuz for my 60" ... only the resin is taking a full day to set in the cold even after hitting it with the heat gun a few times. BTW am keeping an eye on Wednesday's forecast...
If you look on the floor there are 2 heaters an oil filled and a blower. I run them both for an hour before I do anything. I will leave the oil on low to keep it round 15 to cure.
Nov 19, 2017, 06:21 PM
Where is the inspiration
Thread OP
Spent the evening cutting open the second set of GA tips.
They were the nes on the model when it went it, but they weren't badly damaged.

Can bother fixing them, so though I would cut them up for templates.
I will cut the square hole so I can put the servo recess in the correct same place on both sides.

I was impressed at how hard it was to split them. (some may know this isnt the first time)

Think the thing was there was clearly some delamination of the carbon and not the carbon just pulling of the adhesive.
Nov 20, 2017, 07:40 AM
608 km/h!
Cool Will.
Ive had that issue of peel ply etc stopping the bag dropping in too. I think you need to make the bag really loose in those areas with pleats like Alex said, and pull the vacuum really slowly so you can work it all in slowly. Also I found having multiple layers of peel ply so they can slide a bit helps a lot too.
Im looking forward to seeing this one out of the bag!
Nov 24, 2017, 11:55 AM
Where is the inspiration
Thread OP
Lets make a Start!

Quick Reply