Jul 23, 2012, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJohnson
I have not had the chance to maiden it yet. I hope to in the next week or two.
Hi Tim any chance of sme pics of your install on motor and the like I am thinking of this combo also.

Thanks Rossco.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2012, 10:50 AM
stegl

Seafurry

Hi guys; just stoped in here and was wondering what the all up weight might be for the electric version. thanks.
Sep 13, 2012, 12:24 PM
maidened my bh seafury last weekend
its fitted with a dle 30cc and needed two sub c 5000mah packs under the cowl and 900g of lead to get the cg correct as per the manual, the elevator control throws are to small and i increased mine to 20mm up and down but i kept the alierons as per the instructions but i will increase the throws before another flight.
the engine is enough power for this model but somthing heavyer would help with cg issues, the retracts and valves from the kit work well and hold air pressure for hours but i removed the inner doors as these jammed the retract on one side but you not even notice in flight.
Nov 06, 2012, 07:37 PM
Have you guys seen this one?
Seafury maiden with Saito FA200 R3 (4 min 34 sec)
Nov 06, 2012, 10:04 PM
Split S
Thread OP
oh my god that engine sounds killer!!!!
Nov 06, 2012, 11:34 PM
Sounds like this engine could need a couple more inches of pitch, it was really revving and not going very fast.
That kid is a good pilot, did a good job, nice flying moderately priced ARF models in this size is great to see.
Chris...
Nov 07, 2012, 09:31 AM
The comments below on Youtube, said it was a break in run with only 1/2 throttle.
Nov 07, 2012, 09:36 AM
Oh here we go. Dug up a more recent vid.
Seafury with Saito FA200 R3 Now run in! (5 min 51 sec)
Nov 08, 2012, 11:52 AM
2 many planes & 2 little time
I would love to have this model in a gas power. That Saito twin and the Radial sound great... ... Subscribed.
Nov 09, 2012, 05:06 AM
Awsome we need to see one fly with an Evolution radial
Nov 24, 2012, 08:50 PM
Hi to all - Test flew mine last weekend and she flew like a charm. I had the C of G control throws set as recommended in the manual with 30% expo on elevator & ailerons, 15% on rudder.

After a few minutes dialing in the engine I carried out some taxiing tests and was very pleased with the way she handled on the ground. Due to the nice undercarriage location she tracked nicely and had a lot less tendency to nose over than some of the other warbirds Iíve flown.

With all the ground checks done and the light fading fast I had no more excuses not to fly her so after refueling it was time to bite the bullet, point her into wind and open the taps. I decided on no flaps for first take off. Gently easing the throttle forwards, touch of rudder correction whilst easing off the elevator saw the tail rise and before I knew it she was climbing out in a very scale fashion. U/C up and then turn into circuit, throttle back some and trim her out. Once trimmed the plane tracked very well, was very stable and certainly looked the part in the air. The Saito FG36 four stroke gasser sounded great too and despite being tuned conservatively (new engine) appears to be a good engine choice for this plane. Being the first flight I didnít push the plane or the engine, I did however enjoy a couple of show passes, chandelles and a couple of slow rolls, all of which she was comfortable with.

I did notice a characteristic which might be a good thing ... when I slowed her up in clean configuration, the Sea Fury gave me a definite indication that a stall was approaching ... she wagged her tail from side to side well in advance of any wing drop.
After ten minutes I decided to prep for landing so I tried out the flaps. With U/C down, throttled back and take off flap set she required no elevator trim but there was an inherent roll to the left. Full flap required some down trim and also rolled to the left (will need to readjust my flap throws and set elevator/flap mix!).
The landing itself was very forgiving, with full flap she was very stable on the approach and I ended up overshooting and having to do a go round as she didnít want to stop flying. Second time round I slowed further out and she touched down on the numbers. With only 6mph wind on the nose the landing speed certainly seemed low Ė you could certainly fly this plane from moderately sized runways. From the point she touched down to the point where I could turn her round was about 50 meters about the same as the take off run). I used stock fuel tank (with petrol bung and tubing) and after this flight I still had ĺ of a tank left ... joy!
All in all a very rewarding maiden flight. I have done many modifications to the standard kit but now I have a model that Iím very pleased with ... AND she looks and flies great. Now I can finish off the little details such as detailing the exhausts and putting in a decent pilot etc.
I have one other plane that I compare this to and itís the large Hangar 9 P51 Ė both have the same engine and similar electronic setup. The Sea Fury feels lighter on mass (although I havenít weighed it yet!) Both handle well on the ground and both track well in the air. The Sea Fury on itís first flight however feels lighter in the air and a bit more Ďsportyí. This obviously can be changed to preference by your control setup. Itís landing speed is slower probably due to it being a tad lighter and having deep wing with a thicker section ... not to mention those huge flaps! Iíve been flying my P51 for 5 years now and itís always been my favorite but now I think I have an equally adorable stable mate in the Sea Fury.

CHANGES MADE TO STOCK KIT:
Re-hinged elevator, ailerons and rudder Ė original to sloppy for my liking.
Replaced undercarriage with YT International generation 5 units. Robart valve and plumbing used.
Made aluminum saddle claps for gear doors and removed the original plastic lugs.
Removed the inner door closing mechanism and fixed them shut, cutting out to enable room for wheels to close (see photo).
Used Robart wheels ľ inch bigger than the originals
Modified engine mount to accept Saito FG 36 with its aluminum mount.
Increased size of underside engine cooling outlet (see photo).
Added engine cooling baffling to air inlet (see photo)
Replaced rudder pushrod wire with thicker 2mm piano wire.
Drilled out tail wheel centre and epoxyíd in a brass tube. With a touch of grease this should give greater longevity and a less wobbly tail wheel.
Made sliding battery box up front and above the fuel tank. With 3x 1900 Mah lipos (one for engine ignition and two for radio) I had to add approximately 10oz of lead to front to get the C of G in.

Cheers all

Tony
Nov 25, 2012, 09:57 AM
*It Ain't Lookin Good*
I've been looking at this Sea Fury and the
ESM Sea Fury as well. Seems like the stock
Retracts are not worth using. I just can't
Justify paying that much for a plane if I have
to put out another few hundred dollars for
for another set of retracts. Nice looking
plane. Wish the retracts were of better
quality.
Nov 25, 2012, 09:50 PM
Go fast, pull up.
I contacted Hobby People about the retract situation and their only response was that they look like crap...but work well. I didn't want to risk it so I purchased the E-Flite 60-120 retracts.
Dec 05, 2012, 01:55 PM
I really like the sound of the Satio R3, but I also think it needs more prop to slow it down. But, hey some guys fly with their hair on fire......personal choices

I am confused however; which version is this.......the 77" or the 67" wing?
Last edited by corsair167; Nov 18, 2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: additional comment
Dec 07, 2012, 12:34 PM
Split S
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nuts 181
Hi Tim any chance of sme pics of your install on motor and the like I am thinking of this combo also.

Thanks Rossco.
I am down and out right now with a broken leg. I really can't get at the airplane right now. Sorry. But at lease here is the photo of the template and position I placed the Great Planes motor mount.

I hope this helps in some way.

Quick Reply