Mar 17, 2012, 01:44 PM
Split S
Thread OP
Discussion

Black Horse Models 77" 35cc Sea Fury

Here I go again!!! I still have the Sea Fury bug!

I picked up a Black Horse Models Sea Fury from Hobby People. This BH Models Sea Fury is really good looking! The colors are close to the real deal. The printed material is not over done.

A few things I noticed right off the bat, are the wings. This model has a scale hinge line. It does not have a "V" groove see through hinge line. It seems BH has taken the time to step up the scale appearance of their models.....

Anyhow, I am going to convert mine to electric. Here is a list of equipment that I have selected for this model:

Motor: Rimfire 1.60. (63-62-250kv) electric motor
ESC: Castle Creations ICE 2 120
Batteries: 12s (6s x2) 5000mah

The airplane arrived complete with a set of air up air down retracts with scale looking struts. The gear doors come pre attached to the struts.

Now on to the assembly.
Last edited by TimJohnson; Mar 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 17, 2012, 02:40 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Nice plane Tim, very scale indeed. On big advantage of those hinges - flutter is not a concern. Good to know there are still a couple of decent SF ARFs out there.

Re: motor - I've hear not-so-great things about the rimfires - mostly that they are overspec'd. Weren't you running a Hacker in your TT SF? (I know it was a smaller plane). I'd probably go with Scorpion or a geared inrunner for a nice big plane like this.
Mar 17, 2012, 03:12 PM
Split S
Thread OP
Yep, I did have a hacker on that Sea Fury, and I have plenty of power. It was a really good motor. I actually wanted to go with a Hacker again. But I was not able to do so on this airplane. If this Rimfire does not work out, I will switch back quickly.

I am drilling the holes right now for the motor mount. Theres really not much for one to do with this model. Most everything is bolt on. It is really neat how this thing is going together.
Mar 17, 2012, 03:22 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Isn't that nice when that happens. What servos are you using?
Mar 17, 2012, 03:34 PM
Split S
Thread OP
I am using Airtronics 94851 servos. They are digital ball bearing servos.

Here is a template I used for aligning my motor and motor mount.
Mar 17, 2012, 05:18 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Thx. I hear good things about airtonics servos.

Will that be a rear-mount or cage-mount? I'm facing the same challenge mounting my Power 60 on my WM .60 Spitfire.
Mar 17, 2012, 06:15 PM
Split S
Thread OP
It is a rear mount. I have to say I am a little worried that this size motor is not cage mounted. I can't imagine four 3mm screews holding this motor to the mount. LOL I guess I will see what happends..HA HA. I guess those will be added to my pre-flight check off.
Mar 17, 2012, 06:20 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Just remember to put a dab of thin CA where the screw head meets the camfer on the hole! Don't like using loktite on steel screws into aluminum threads.
Mar 17, 2012, 08:32 PM
Split S
Thread OP
That is a good idea.

I am waiting for aero poxy to dry on the mods I made to mount the ESC and Battery.
Mar 18, 2012, 11:40 AM
Split S
Thread OP
I can't wait to fly this thing!!! Waiting for the glue to dry on my battery tray mod, I found this video of a Sea Fury.

Sea Fury - Old Warden VJ Display (4 min 2 sec)
Mar 19, 2012, 11:53 AM
Split S
Thread OP
Cowl is mounted. I used metal "L" brackets and a little aero-poxy. I did not want to have screws on the out side of the cowl. Considering I have converted this Sea Fury to electric power, it was simple to have no screws on the outside of the cowl.

Also I have mounted the ESC behind the firewall.
Mar 19, 2012, 12:41 PM
Nice Bird.
I didn't know the Rimfire was rated for 12s! I'll be interested to here how it performs.

Have you seen the Hydraulic conversion for air retracts?
HobbyKing Daily - Hydraulic Conversion Kit (2 min 38 sec)
Mar 19, 2012, 03:44 PM
Split S
Thread OP
12s is the limit according to Great Planes. I have not checked out the hydraulic conversion. Seems pretty cool.

Starting out for the first flight I plan to use an 18x10 apc prop. As long as everything checks out on the ground anyhow.
Mar 19, 2012, 04:39 PM
Most Power 160 motors are 10s.

I was looking at some Hyperion motors which are 12s.
http://aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=5635
http://www.aircraft-world.com/prod_d...z50/z50all.htm
I haven't found anyone that has run one of these though.
Mar 19, 2012, 05:37 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
That's what I was referring to in my prior post: GP tends to be aggressive in rating their motors' power handling. There are a number of reports of guys burning up their rim fires runnig them at the GP specs. Best to be conservative and stick to 10S.

Quick Reply