Mar 16, 2012, 11:58 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Thread OP
Build Log

49" Grumman G21 Goose

A few months ago a little bird named Glewis tipped me off that Model Aviation was looking for someone to design a Grumman Goose for their plans inventory. Evidently the Plans Service has been asked regularly for a Goose, particularly in the 48" range. That's a nice size for me and a bit smaller than the beautiful 74" version designed by Sky Greenawalt or the foamie that Warhead is working on. Ultimately I settled on 49" to give an even 1/12 scale.

MA asked that I keep a lid on the project for awhile. That was probably a good idea since for all they knew I could have been a flake but I've gotten far enough down the road that I got the ok to launch a build thread. With a little luck, there will be an article down the road.

Oddly, it took me awhile to warm up to the project. I never had anything against the Goose, but I never really thought about it much. But now that I've been studying its layout and history, I've become a big fan. After all, how can you not love that goofy cartoonish face of the Goose.

Hope you enjoy,

Paul
to remove ads between posts
Mar 17, 2012, 10:24 AM
Big gov never Works
Nice project, Paul. I've always liked the Grumman seaplanes. Would love to see the Albatross done.

Fuzz
Mar 17, 2012, 11:12 AM
this? a decent base plan at 2x enlargement via acrobat.
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1220
or this one at 42 " span still a Widgeon though and the formers are actually Not complete, but still a good base plan
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=308
Last edited by Bare; Mar 17, 2012 at 11:40 AM.
Mar 17, 2012, 11:13 AM
Pile-it
Looking forward to this one Paul!
Mar 17, 2012, 03:46 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nice so far , cant wait to see the finished model.

Greets,

Bart
Mar 17, 2012, 04:26 PM
Hi Paul!

This will be a great build. Will follow.

raipe
Mar 18, 2012, 03:01 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Thread OP

And We're Off!

Well, thanks all! Glad to have you along. Looks like Northern Europe is well represented, too,

Fuzz--funny you should say that. Drew and I were at our airport the other day and there were two Albatross there. One looked like new while the other is under restoration. Drew sweet talked the owner into letting him in to the nice one. I grabbed a few photos thinking that I might have to put it on my to-do list.

Red--I'll bet you are!

Heya Raipe--outta school yet?

The tangible part of the project has now begun. Forms for the tailgroup were cut from foam sheet on a scroll saw. The edges of the forms were covered with clear packaging tape to keep the laminations from sticking.

Balsa strips were cut to 1/16 x 1/8" and soaked in an ammonia solution prior to laminating. The outlines were then formed by laminating three layers of balsa to the forms. I used carpentry glue here, as I do for most of the framework. These curves are pretty gentle, so its easy work.

Opinions vary whether scaling up the tail of RC models is a good practice, but for the Goose it is probably never necessary. The tail on this thing is huge! I'm not planning to have a water rudder, so that's probably a good thing.

Paul
Mar 18, 2012, 11:39 PM
HI Paul, glad this one is finally seeing the light of day! looking forward to seeing her progress. Subscribed

D-Rock
Mar 19, 2012, 08:05 AM
Outstanding Bare....now, how about a PBY at about 72" WS?????
Mar 19, 2012, 03:30 PM
Timelord
Hint: The May issue of Model Aviation has a amphibious aircraft theme!

Jay Smith
Editor, Model Aviation
Mar 19, 2012, 04:10 PM
Flying Models did a PBY in the march 2010 issue, but they don't have the plan listed in their directory.

but I'm also looking forward to this one - I would like to have my own "Cutter's Goose"
Last edited by jonquinn; Mar 19, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Mar 19, 2012, 04:34 PM
Paul, I'm in! I love your work, this will be a real treat. Lots of cool schemes for this one, have you picked one out yet?
Mar 20, 2012, 12:22 AM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Thread OP
Hi Jay--thanks for putting the bug in my ear.

Cutter's Goose! Somehow I managed to miss that show when I was a kid (high school?). But when I tell people what I'm working on that comes up frequently.

Heya, Dan--I'm shying away from the military paint jobs for a change. Right now their are only two key criteria to picking out the scheme: fairly simple and I need to put a dent in my covering collection.

Here are a few more ideas to mull over.
Mar 20, 2012, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorne

Heya Raipe--outta school yet?

Paul
Hi Paul!

Yep, graduated last spring. Thanks for askin

Are you making the Goose with or without landing gear?

raipe
Mar 20, 2012, 01:33 PM
Or current resident
Hi Paul.
A little late to the party but I'm along for the ride now!

Jay, nice job on the redesign of MA!
Glenn

Quick Reply