This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 16, 2012, 08:45 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

The Frankenstein projects continue

Things are looking promising for Project Blade CP. The used E-flite 2-in-1 and Blade SR transmitter I got off of eBay work perfectly. It took some nurgling with the DIP switches on the transmitter to get the servos to react properly, but react they do. Still waiting for the gyro, but HobbyKing e-mailed me to say it's on its way. Nine bucks for a MEMS gyro is almost too good to be true. Here's hoping it isn't!

Today marked the return of a rebuilt The World Models P-51 EP electric. I used it in the review of the Airtronics SD-6G radio...and I swapped the Airtronics receiver for another brand.

An intermittent failing elevator pot splashed the P-51 a few months ago; I blamed the problem on a faulty receiver. I didn't know the pot was failing until my beautiful EScale A6M5c Zero, reviewed at Ezonemag.com last year, crashed in much the same way. It, like the P-51, went full down elevator only a week ago. Total loss. That transmitter is now in the shop for a new pot.

Incredibly, the P-51 survived other than the fuselage. The fiberglass cowl suffered some minor damage, but it was still perfectly useable. I broke down and ordered a fuselage, decals and pilot figure from AirBorne Models who were kind enough to send a few other necessary parts as well later at no cost. The reborn version has a SuperTigre .10 outrunner mounted to a modified World Models outrunner-style firewall. It flew perfectly earlier today on a Futaba T6EX and full-range receiver. Only problem was a timing problem between the SuperTigre and the "el cheapo" 40A ESC I'd gotten when I bought the P-51 at a club swap meet. A Turnigy outrunner had been bolted to the firewall of the original, but that motor is slated for another project.

That project will be a formerly .10 or .15-powered kit-built P-51 left in the "freebo" pile at the club field. Real oldie but goodie, believe me. Also on the list of electric projects is a Flyzone SkyFly2 which will be getting an outrunner. It's flown on an outrunner before and it did well. All I need is the motor. Picking up a brand new wing on clearance for five bucks certainly didn't hurt. Seeing a SkyFly2 do loops will be SO worth the effort.

Three electric planes, one electric chopper, minimal cash layout...not too shabby.

This means it is HIGH time I got going on my two nitro projects. I blogged about a kit-built Great Planes Ultimate .46 nearly two years ago...and it still isn't done. No reason for it other than just needing to buckle down. Basically, I need to mount the engine, install the servos, put some sort of contrasting covering or trim tape underneath the wings (same covering scheme on both sides!) and I'm good to go.
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Mar 16, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply