Turtle One - Page 2 - RC Groups
Apr 30, 2016, 07:20 AM

StuntCat

StuntCat from https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1171499

created by https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelAirRC
Last edited by bope; Apr 30, 2016 at 07:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 30, 2016, 07:25 AM

WIG by Gabor Rudas

Delta 2 Lippisch-type ground effect glider (0 min 30 sec)

Enjoy, Peter
May 01, 2016, 03:07 PM

Hey BirdofPlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
R U doing kits on the Turtle.?

Would be a nice one to kit ...
May 01, 2016, 04:22 PM
Retired CAD guy
Is the design OPEN or should I be asking for permission ?

You know Lockey has a similar model too.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=162

Not to mention his Dart Vader similar to Stunt cat.
May 01, 2016, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Is the design OPEN or should I be asking for permission ?
No itīs not open!
VTH still are selling the plans for the Turtle One.
Almost the same for the Big Turtle!
There you can download the plans, but thereīs are company in Switzerland selling kits and the plans also tell making kits is only allowed after giving permission.

My Turtle One is still waiting for some color

Toby
May 03, 2016, 08:51 PM
This is a fenomenal flyer for just hanging in the air or like close proximity flying. I bought the plans from the german vendor and it was worth it. Have built two now.
I don't think it's ok to put the plans here as download though.
But buy it and build it, really fun. And it is superb for night flying since it has a flying body shape so a lot of room for led strips in there.
May 04, 2016, 05:19 AM
Quote:
I don't think it's ok to put the plans here as download though.
Hm, that's confusing, cause everybody could take the Big version to shrink it. The big one is only a 150% copy of the small one, as mentioned in the description. I think for personal purposes it'll be ok to share my plans. It's up to you: buy the plans or convert the free ones yourself.
May 04, 2016, 06:22 AM
I did buy the plans.
I'm not sure I follow what's going on perhaps.
If plans are a copy of original with a couple of small modifications I thought it still wasn't ok to share them.
Not my problem I just didn't want anyone to get in trouble.
May 04, 2016, 09:01 AM

Business 101 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukin_Dog
I did buy the plans.
I'm not sure I follow what's going on perhaps.
If plans are a copy of original with a couple of small modifications I thought it still wasn't ok to share them.
Not my problem I just didn't want anyone to get in trouble.
There are several answers here... One is that if a plan was given(150%) then in reality it is public domain . Something I'm sure the original designer wanted was to generate some serious interest without stifling the design.

The other answer is that I have not seen a detailed 'small print' exclusion of permission to mods and resizes...so again...unless someone knows of this being publicly printed , it seems to be public domain.

IMO, it is kind of like the Judi Jet. Plans were given ...or permission to print/cut and those that wish can provide a kitting service , although somewhat unprotected, as a convenience for those who wish to buy them.

Same with Flite test. Th e plans of a lot of their designs are downloadable, however if you would rather buy a kit and save the grief of printing and taping the tile version (then cutting)...or paying to have a full size printed , you have the convenience of buying one.

Having offered kits on a design myself, there is little profit on the amount of time required but would have been easier perhaps if I had resources to laser cut the kits but not sure if the costs of those tools could have been offset by only a few designs.

I think it would be easy enough for BirdofPlay to get kitting permission (just a guess). again , IMO, I don't feel the designer would be wronged in posting a resized plan that was given for DL...or mods as long as the original designer is thanked

If I rem correctly , there were downloadable plans for the Stuntcat as well...also seems to be a great design and could be a great kit.

personally , as a designer, I would love the ability to hand off designs /three views/patterns to a CAD person and a .99 cent downloadable plan created that also has an accompanying build and set up video . and a link to someone that is offering to kit them. Of course splitting the revenue of .99 design sales with the CAD expert to pay fo the time involved. The kitter would profit from the kit sales for his time involved.

In the real world, its all about exposure and the ability for the public/hobbyist to get (afford-ably) a copy of what was designed/created....and re numerate the creator to at least some degree as a 'thank you' .

Many times various business models are incorporated which ends in various levels of success . ...Occasionally something works , works well , gets loads of public acceptance/exposure and 'hopefully' allows the designers/inventors to provide more of the great work also helping others involved as well.

r/c airplane business 101.... well maybe
May 04, 2016, 09:19 AM
serial scratchbuilder
The "Big Turtle" was a free download when first released, it has since changed to a paid plan.
May 04, 2016, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gittarpikk
The other answer is that I have not seen a detailed 'small print' exclusion of permission to mods and resizes...so again...unless someone knows of this being publicly printed , it seems to be public domain.

IMO, it is kind of like the Judi Jet. Plans were given ...or permission to print/cut and those that wish can provide a kitting service , although somewhat unprotected, as a convenience for those who wish to buy them.
Nope, the Judi Jet was published as free download plan.
Same as the "Big Turtle"
But you still have to ask for permission to make kits of this planes as VTH has the rights.

The regular "Turtle" was never available as a free download.
It was published as a mag insert and is now available in the VTH shop!

Toby
May 05, 2016, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanTigger
Nope, the Judi Jet was published as free download plan.
Same as the "Big Turtle"
But you still have to ask for permission to make kits of this planes as VTH has the rights.

The regular "Turtle" was never available as a free download.
It was published as a mag insert and is now available in the VTH shop!

Toby
Well.. there ya have it...

The offering looks 'sorta' like a 'lost leader' in business., mainly for exposure .

with the free download of the Big Turtle and the Judi....the gate is already open as there are already copies around....but GermanTigger just detailed how BirdofPlay might be able to offer the kits... (thereby saving overseas shipping)

Although I have never bought one of BirdofPlays kits, I can't think of any US kitter I would rather see get the permission as I have never heard anything but good about his kits and he already knows a good design when he sees one.
May 05, 2016, 08:21 PM
Retired CAD guy
I Kinda got an OK for some EU designed models as they realize that
MOST modelers are going to be unwilling to purchase at EU prices AND pay for SHIPPING !

So, I agreed to NOT sell to EU folks and simply went for it.

Regardless it hasn't been a lucrative endeavor !
But then what particular model ever is.
OK maybe Polaris would get that star !
I can't think of another more popular Foamy.

BTW - I ALWAYAS ask permission.

We are TOO SMALL of a community to be stepping on each others toes.

Most designers just say , Go For It !
The rest have large egos that need to be stroked.
C'est la vie !
Feb 12, 2018, 01:28 PM
serial scratchbuilder
Been missing this bird since re-kitting my first, time for another.
Feb 12, 2018, 08:30 PM
serial scratchbuilder
Hollow fuse lights up really well, makes a great night-flyer.

Quick Reply