Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:49 AM
Find More Posts by poltergeist
Kevin Gault
Got the sail #'s and insignia inked onto the sails today. Just enlarged the font with Adobe Photoshop, printed it onto paper and taped to the backside of the sail and traced/inked in with black Sharpie pen. Not perfect, but if I stick by my "two boatlength rule" they don't look too bad. Took the boat over to my folk's backyard, which is a bit more "photogenic" than mine.

Now I need to spruce up my stand. All the building/wetsanding etc. has taken it's toll. I'll probably just shoot a coat of white paint on it.

Kevin
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Beautiful, you have done an excellent job building the "CJ". I see the tell tales on the jib are flowing straight back. I think its telling you put me in the water.

I am sure you will enjoy sailing your "J" boat.

Ed
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:12 PM
Kevin Gault
Ed,

If I quit my job and we leave now, we can probably make it back to the Region 1 C-J Regatta this weekend in Connecticut!!!!

Thanks for the kind words.

Kevin
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:38 AM
Maybe some day we can have a C-J Regatta in Southern Calif.

Ed
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:18 PM
Find More Posts by bgnome
made of fire and pop rocks
two is company, three is a group, and four... is a regatta!
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:51 PM
Find More Posts by woodybob
WooHoo!
Looks great Kevin, nice job. All ya need now is a puddle & a breeze.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:17 PM
Find More Posts by Bergerboats
You did a great job Kevin, good luck with her!
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:50 AM
Kevin Gault
Ed,

I figured when I get mine sorted I might take it around to some of the other ponds in the not too distant area and see if I can drum up any interest. Just need a few more guys to take the plunge and we could at least hold an occasional regatta/C-J "boat show".

Hans,

Thanks for the encouragement. It truly is a nice boat you supply. The fact that the C-J is not a complete "kit" makes it a lot of fun because it gives the builder some freedom to be creative. Hope ya'll have a great regatta this weekend!!!!

Kevin
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:12 AM
Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
If it floats....sail it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnome View Post
two is company, three is a group, and four... is a regatta!
Four or five guys in the Elk Grove MYC (CA - south of Sacramento) did a bulk order and they should be here within a day or so. We have already voted to add the CJ as a new class starting in January for our 2X/month races.

Within a year or so we will have enough boats in CA to at least hold the Region 6 CR.

FC
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:51 AM
Kevin,

Are you going to get it wet this Sunday?

Ed
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:44 PM
Find More Posts by 1967250s
Great looking yacht. Congrats, nice work. I might suggest putting blocks on the end of the sail servo, reduce the drag there. Now, sail it! Pics
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:13 PM
Kevin Gault
Ed,

I think I might have to delay 'til next Sunday. Any chance you're available then?

Kevin
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:21 PM
Kevin Gault
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967250s View Post
Great looking yacht. Congrats, nice work. I might suggest putting blocks on the end of the sail servo, reduce the drag there. Now, sail it! Pics
This is a good topic for discussion. I think the sail servo will have plenty of power, and the sails seem to ease smoothly with little/no drag. I've chamfered and polished the arm so that the holes are pretty darn smooth.

So the question is....Is it worth it to put blocks on the ends of the arm? Drawbacks I see are the possibility of fouling on the blocks, as well as a loss of travel as the arm effectively gets shorter as the blocks pivot.

My Odom has a very similar setup with no blocks, and seems to work fine. The sheets do get a bit fuzzy over a long period of time, but I've only replaced them once in 8+ years.

Any opinions????

Kevin
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
Ed,

I think I might have to delay 'til next Sunday. Any chance you're available then?

Kevin
The next Sunday (Sept 16th) will work for me. I will be there with my C-J and camera.

Ed
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:56 PM
Kevin Gault
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher View Post
Four or five guys in the Elk Grove MYC (CA - south of Sacramento) did a bulk order and they should be here within a day or so. We have already voted to add the CJ as a new class starting in January for our 2X/month races.

Within a year or so we will have enough boats in CA to at least hold the Region 6 CR.

FC
Cool.....guess a Sacto road trip will be in order when you guys get up and running!!!

Kevin
Canterbury J #551