Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 20, 2003, 12:49 PM
Question

Question for WASP flyers

Well, I've had a climax models wasp kit sitting on my shelf for 3 months now, so I finally gave in to the temptation. I framed up the elevator and horiz. stab last night. My question is as follows: Is it worth adding rudder control to this ship, or will the extra weight make her fly like a pig? I originally planned on IPS-A power and 4-channel control. Now, I'm fearing the 3rd servo and linkage will make her too heavy for an IPS. Conversely, is there any real reason I would miss a rudder on this plane? Right now, I'm thinking I'll just save that spare HS-55 for another project.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2003, 12:58 PM
Crash Master
My setup is w/o rudder. I don't think it's worthwhile, unless you are going to want to try to 3D the thing with a bunch of horsepower or something.

I also like a little more speed, so I swapped to the -2S ratio gearbox with an 8x6 prop on 2 Li cells.

That said, I can't imagine my Wasp maX w/o a rudder (when I get around to building it)
Oct 20, 2003, 01:09 PM
Wow, that was a fast answer! Thanks, Genebond. That's pretty much what I was expecting to hear. I'll put that other HS-55 on the slowstick I just bought and save a few bux. Thanks for the input on the power system, too. I'm going to try the "A" first and see if it needs upgrading from there.
Oct 20, 2003, 03:57 PM
Crash Master
No problem Matt... Just got lucky on the timing...

You might look around for a higher pitch prop for that A drive, like a 8x8 or something... May be interesting.... Seems like APC was going to do some of those...

At the least, I'd go 9x7 or 10x8.
Oct 20, 2003, 04:40 PM
Okay, thanks for the suggestions on the prop too. It sounds like this airframe likes to move a bit faster than the moth that donated its motor for this project, eh? I'm thinking r/e/a control, (2)hs55, r4p Rx, and IPS-A with 9x7 GWS prop run by 2s 1200 etec will be my starting point. 'Course, I gotta build 'er first.