Mar 13, 2012, 06:15 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Windscreens

I often have difficulty in shaping the front windscreen when there is no pattern on the plan. I suspect others have problems with this too but someone may have an ideal solution to getting a nicely shaped screen that fits perfectly. Cutting a paper pattern is not always that easy either and having wing dowels protruding through make things that much more complicated. Appreciate any thoughts on this? Allen
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2012, 09:09 PM
I think a thickish paper pattern is the go.
It can be cut and trimmed until it fits perfectly, then the real clear one can be made and glued on.
Mar 13, 2012, 09:54 PM
Agreed, bristleboard pattern makes it real nice. It is still a challenge sometimes but with a little patience and persistance you shall succeed.

I have spent seveal hours on a single windscreen before but well worth the time. Seems to be one of the first things that grabs your eye when you look at a model.

Bill
Mar 13, 2012, 11:07 PM
Any paper pattern works for me. It doesn't matter how many sheets of paper you use to get it perfect.

Also, I never install the wing dowels before installing the windshield. That can be done after, using a glue gun or epoxy on a Q-tip...
Mar 14, 2012, 01:49 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle
Any paper pattern works for me. It doesn't matter how many sheets of paper you use to get it perfect.

Also, I never install the wing dowels before installing the windshield. That can be done after, using a glue gun or epoxy on a Q-tip...
Absolutely right. I don't think there is a "magic bullet" solution to this one, or if there is I have failed to find it in sixty-odd years of building, just keep trimming and trying until the pattern is perfect. Not installing the dowels until last is a great help if you can manage it, if not then don't install them until you have the paper pattern perfect. As William said, it can take hours - but paper is cheap and the only thing I ever make in a hurry is a mess
Mar 14, 2012, 04:00 AM
I spent last night " trying " to fit a windscreen to my cardinal .

I really hate this job. Cutting the template takes time but its possible to use a card to mark up a windscreen as stated. Start with a piece as wide as the windscreen is at the front and tape in so it overhangs round the side of the fuselage. Add square side pieces and tape. I then start shaping one side only so you can peel it back, cut, reposition, check etc. When happy, remove screen and cut the other side to match. If the template is off , stick on more card . It will look like a mess but its only a tracing template. Transfer to a single peice of card and try that. Each process gets you closer to the finished product.

Gluing it in place neatly is my bug bear. I HATE it. I normally screw up 3-4 goes before it works and there isnt glue smears on the windscreen.

For larger cabin designs, I use 1/64th ply and make the screen solid but paint it.
Mar 14, 2012, 04:27 AM
I have always used translucent drawing film to make windscreen templates. Being translucent, (not transparent) it is quite easy to see the structure behind it, enabling you to accurately mark where to cut.
Although I've not tried it, thick tracing paper would probably be almost as good.
I also leave the wing dowels out 'till after the screen is done.

Dave.
Mar 14, 2012, 05:01 AM
Thread OP
Oh well, it's back paper/card or whatever, and the cut and paste method. I was hoping that there may have been a simpler way. Always looking for shortcuts....or should I say, better ways of doing things. Thanks for all the helpful input though. It is appreciated.

While here, a neat way to get a nice finish when gluing the screen in, is to hold or tape the windscreen in place and draw a light pencil line around the front of the screen where it meets the fuselage. Then, and this is the important bit, cut or file a very fine shallow grove just behind the line. This must gradually fade out as you work around the sides. Fill the grove with you favorite glue (mine is RC56) and replace the screen into the grove and tape in place while the glue dries. Now you probably all knew that already!

I agree Sundancer, a mess is easily made in a hurry!
Allen
Mar 14, 2012, 06:26 AM
RFJ
RFJ
In spite of all the various glues and tapes available for attaching windscreens and canopies, I always seem to return to good old balsa cement. As to cutting the shape, like everyone else I end up ankle deep in discarded paper patterns until eventually I get one that fits.

Ray
Mar 14, 2012, 06:45 AM
Vertically Challenged...
I have had some success with using clear solarfilm, it can be a bit fiddly but if it goes wrong it's easy to get it off and have another try.

It sticks nicely to doped tissue and the hot iron doesn't seem to do any harm to it. If you use plenty of heat it comes out crystal clear.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1418326

'Glazing bars' can help too.

Bert
Mar 14, 2012, 09:56 AM
*jj
*jj
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtc
Gluing it in place neatly is my bug bear. I HATE it. I normally screw up 3-4 goes before it works and there isnt glue smears on the windscreen.
I just stick one side down (using canopy glue) and leave it to dry, then stick down the other side; makes it easier, IMO.
You have to make sure that the first side is on correctly, though!
Then the covering goes on over the winscreen to make it neat.
Mar 17, 2012, 07:42 AM
Bob Imp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teals1
I often have difficulty in shaping the front windscreen when there is no pattern on the plan. I suspect others have problems with this too but someone may have an ideal solution to getting a nicely shaped screen that fits perfectly. Cutting a paper pattern is not always that easy either and having wing dowels protruding through make things that much more complicated. Appreciate any thoughts on this? Allen
I very rarely put the wing dowels through the top of the screen as this means the wing is banded to the cabin top only and this is asking a lot of the butt jointed cabin uprights! I normally move the dowel to the bottom of the front screen putting the dowel underneath the fuselage longeron.
Mar 18, 2012, 03:25 AM
I stumbled upon a build log on the S.A.M. site done up by Tandy Walker. http://www.antiquemodeler.org/sam_ne...oudster/88.pdf
At any rate, if you scroll down through this article he tells how he fits the pattern , what type of plastic he uses and of an adhesive that he claims works better than any other adhesive he has tried. Furthermore, this glue is available at local hardware stores and the plastic is available at Hobby Lobby craft stores. Just thought this would be of some help.

Greg Knipp
Mar 18, 2012, 08:20 AM
Pretty much everything I've ever done was either an open cockpit with a free standing wind screen, or a pre-formed canopy. The Terror is my first cabin build. Off and on I've given a LOT of thought to how to handle the cabin windows and wind shield.

I've thought of a recessed frame inside the side windows and cutting the plastic to fit, but cutting 6 of those to fit exactly? And that wouldn't work on the wind shield anyway. So, is the accepted method to glue the plastic over the frames and covering over that? I know the stuff is pretty thin, but will it make a discernible "step-down"?

I'll check the link provided by Greg and see if this is addressed there. I'm pretty ignorant on this subject, but luckily, this sort of thing is what this forum shines at. The people that know these things are always close by!
Mar 18, 2012, 08:43 AM
An idea for side windows is to utilize clear Monokote. Iron that on right over the colored covering then all one has to do is cut and fit the front windscreen.
I am not sure how ironing this stuff on over something other than Monokote, ( ex. Solartex, silkspan, etc..) would work or if it can be done.

Greg

Quick Reply