Mar 12, 2012, 10:31 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Most visible color schemes?

For the visually challenged (old fart) what are the better colors/paint schemes to make the plane most visible in the sky...for the top and bottom?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2012, 10:56 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Top:black & yellow
bottom:black & white
Sam
20120304_8608718ca00a33a2d80dZMwgKpyd0VKA
Mar 12, 2012, 11:08 AM
characters welcome!
Chartreuse on the top and International Orange or Hot Pink on the bottom with a black slash.

If you can't orient that it's time to quit.

mw
Mar 12, 2012, 11:21 AM
When the plane is up in the sky, top colour is not important, what you see is the side and bottom, most of the time you will see is the side colour. pfd bright orange can see from miles.

Edmond
Mar 12, 2012, 11:22 AM
Visitor from Reality
Have to agree some with MW

Bright colours - lighter overall colour, with big, darker 'this way up' clues on top. Nothing small and diddly - they'll just blend into a blob at very little distance - and much contrast between top and bottom.

Stay away from white, silver and blue - they have a habit of blending with that sky thing. Ditto with greens, if you haven't cut down all the trees around your patch. There's a reason the military favour green over screaming pink or yellow for camo

Learn how to fly closer in - we all have to admit to fading eyesight sooner or later. Also, get rid of those small pylon racers before you succumb to driving a Buick while wearing a hat

D
Mar 12, 2012, 11:25 AM
christian theme park operator
Colour doesn't matter as much as contrast. Since the sky is light, the highest contrast - and therefore the highest visibility - is provided by black. The darker the better. If the only criterion was that the plane should be visible against the sky as far as possible, it would be painted jet black all over. Weird, huh?

However, it's also very useful to be able to quickly tell the underside from the topside of the plane, which implies that they need to be painted differently. Again, the specific colours used don't matter as much as contrast, so a common theme is to have horizontal-ish stripes running parallel with the wing spar on top, and large blocky squares/rectangles (black/white/black/white...) underneath. The difference between long, lean lines on top and fat alternating squares under the wing is visible long after the colour nuances have all faded to grey at a distance.
Mar 12, 2012, 11:32 AM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
I did chrome on top and checks on bottom. Like a mirror in the sunlite.
Mar 12, 2012, 11:32 AM
I'm BIG on micros
Giant yellow sign that says `OVER HERE'
Mar 12, 2012, 11:44 AM
Hey now,
Some nifty ideas coming out from the power flyers. But as an old soar head who's flown X-country and lots of thermal duration where models range out very far, I tend to go with what the university tests from the seventies showed: large swaths of taxi cab yellow and blood red. That's um marigold or cub yellow and Ducati or Fokker red for the serious modelers.
You can still see that colour seperation fifteen hundred feet high and a half mile out. I know...
RobII
Mar 12, 2012, 12:37 PM
avoid large patches of white, grey or black
understand anything under the plane will be dark

use florescent orange on the leading edges
florescent green elsewhere to determine left/right
Mar 12, 2012, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4
Colour doesn't matter as much as contrast. Since the sky is light, the highest contrast - and therefore the highest visibility - is provided by black. The darker the better. If the only criterion was that the plane should be visible against the sky as far as possible, it would be painted jet black all over. Weird, huh?

However, it's also very useful to be able to quickly tell the underside from the topside of the plane, which implies that they need to be painted differently. Again, the specific colours used don't matter as much as contrast, so a common theme is to have horizontal-ish stripes running parallel with the wing spar on top, and large blocky squares/rectangles (black/white/black/white...) underneath. The difference between long, lean lines on top and fat alternating squares under the wing is visible long after the colour nuances have all faded to grey at a distance.
This is what works for me. Colors don't seem to make as much of a difference as contrast. Since age creeped up on me and my eyesight isn't as good anymore, most of my planes have a high contrast scheme along with a very large checker pattern on the bottom. My latest has 5 squares across the bottom. Works very well. I think it depends more on the individual that a blanket statement of this color works better than that color. For me fluorescent colors all but disappear in anything but low level dark cloud cover. I think you need to experiment to see whats best for you.
Mar 12, 2012, 03:14 PM
Gravity sucks.
Large areas of contrasting color work well.
One both of these, the white will disappear on a cloudy day, but you can still see the red or wine color. SOMETHING is always visible in any color sky with this type of scheme, and the white shows up well on a sunny , blue sky.

Mark
Mar 12, 2012, 03:21 PM
I'm BIG on micros
What's the first plane? Looks great
Mar 12, 2012, 03:34 PM
Orange (or yellow) on the bottom with white, but use big blocks of colour (eg not small checkers).
Mar 12, 2012, 04:07 PM
Space Coast USA
A good article on the subject.
http://web.archive.org/web/200802142...com/color.html

and

http://www.aeroexperiments.org/RChighvis.shtml

ps. I put some 1" checkers on a plane and they disappeared quickly - make the patterns BIG.

Quick Reply