Oct 28, 2016, 07:07 PM
Into the burning blue
I wasn't aware of your A-1 J, so I will enjoy watching you do your stuff on the new one.

Funnily enough, I had thought the Spad might be a good subject for a semi- profile.

Alec
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2016, 07:54 PM
The Junk Man
Just ran across this here. Why not in the usual "Scale" forum??

Tom
Oct 28, 2016, 08:03 PM
They call me Lipo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by balticS2
I wasn't aware of your A-1 J, so I will enjoy watching you do your stuff on the new one.

Funnily enough, I had thought the Spad might be a good subject for a semi- profile.

Alec
WOAH !!!

You might be onto something....J makes AWESOME semi-pro models....
Oct 29, 2016, 07:05 AM
Into the burning blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit
WOAH !!!

You might be onto something....J makes AWESOME semi-pro models....
I can testify to that! I have one of his Buffaloes on 200+ flights now.

At the time I built it, it occurred to me that you could use the same ingredients to build no end of designs - Martlet, Macchi C200, Skyraider are among those I fancy. But as the Buffalo has survived virtually intact for so long, I haven't had a pressing need.
Oct 29, 2016, 07:23 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Alec,
Yeah, the A-1 was a pretty hurtful loss.
It would make a great semi-profile too and like you said, there are really endless models you could build that way.

Tom,
Just thought maybe it was the place to put it. It doesn't quite make the Giant Scale forum, which I would have preferred, since the ws is 75" instead of the required 80".

Thanks John

The new build will continue right here. Would start right away but don't have the correct foam right now, maybe substitute some other sizes.
Here's one of the last pics taken of my Sandy by George at St. George fly-in, right before she went in.

J
Oct 29, 2016, 11:37 AM
Hey J. Love all your builds. Sorry to hear of the mishaps at St George. How much was salvageable on the A1-H? Love all the hardware. Can any be re-used?

Wij.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Oct 29, 2016, 02:59 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wijwoj
Hey J. Love all your builds. Sorry to hear of the mishaps at St George. How much was salvageable on the A1-H? Love all the hardware. Can any be re-used?

Wij.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks
Believe it or not, most of the gear survived. The motor was toast of course going in nose first, and the cowl and canpy was trashed. But I have another cowl and another motor and a canopy plug so it won't be too bad equipment wise. Hope to start the build of "The Hasler II" soon.
Had to order a bunch of balsa for it and the new AC-130 build ( Giant Electric Planes forum) so I thought I would wait until the wood arrives to start the A-1H.

J
Oct 29, 2016, 04:15 PM
Hey John,
Just finished looking at the Savage thread again at your technique for the glass/ balsa sandwich fuses that you like to use and just might have to try the technique sometime . With all that balsa you have been going through on recent builds, I have two questions. 1. On a fuselage the size of the upcoming Hasler II, what size balsa do you skin the fuse with? 2. I haven't bought balsa for years, due to the fact my old supplier has been closed for several years after a big fire. Who do you purchase your balsa from?

Looking forward to seeing this one go together..... again!

Thanks, Brad

P.S. All the video I shot at St. George is still waiting to be uploaded to my PC, which at the present time, is failing to recognize my camera, when connected to it.
Oct 29, 2016, 08:27 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalgra
Hey John,
Just finished looking at the Savage thread again at your technique for the glass/ balsa sandwich fuses that you like to use and just might have to try the technique sometime . With all that balsa you have been going through on recent builds, I have two questions. 1. On a fuselage the size of the upcoming Hasler II, what size balsa do you skin the fuse with? 2. I haven't bought balsa for years, due to the fact my old supplier has been closed for several years after a big fire. Who do you purchase your balsa from?

Looking forward to seeing this one go together..... again!

Thanks, Brad

P.S. All the video I shot at St. George is still waiting to be uploaded to my PC, which at the present time, is failing to recognize my camera, when connected to it.
Hey Brad,
I always skin with 1/16". I used to buy from Lonestar too but switched to National Balsa after the fire deal. I use the Aero light, not quite contest balsa but sands really well and you save a little money. In fact I have a big load coming in Monday from them. Google them and it will come right up.
Looking forward to the vids when you get them going.

J
Oct 29, 2016, 10:26 PM
Thanks John,

National Balsa seems to be the "go-to" for most these days.

I figured your skins were 1/16", but just wanted to double check.

Thanks for the tip on Aero Light also.

Build on! Brad
Oct 29, 2016, 10:40 PM
The Junk Man
National is OK, but I have gotten some really nice wood from Balsa Wood Inc.

http://www.balsawoodinc.com/

Much better pricing too.

Tom
Oct 29, 2016, 10:49 PM
Nice to have options.

Thanks T_om

Quick Reply