Mar 11, 2012, 11:56 AM
Piscine Promulgator
Discussion

Slope soaring near Champaign, Illinois?

Can I crowdsource some reccos for slope soaring sites near Champaign, Illinois?

I have a buddy who lives in Champaign and is getting fired up about slope soaring again. He grew up in California but moved out there for work. Any good spots within a "reasonable" drive?

Thanks!

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2012, 09:37 AM
Wind Powered
Thanks Steve!....but I think the Chicago area is going to be my best bet....or something down near the Mississippi river bordering Missouri.
I started a thread about the Naperville Greene Vally Hill a week or so ago...and got some good feedback.

gr
Mar 12, 2012, 10:14 AM
Piscine Promulgator
I tried!

Steve
Mar 12, 2012, 10:35 AM
Embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_rod22x View Post
...something down near the Mississippi river bordering Missouri.
I've read about people sloping Fults Hill down by Valmeyer but personally never tried it - drove past it a few times and thought it looked OK but not worth going back and getting a floater. When I moved to St. Louis I searched for a good site for a while thinking there had to be a river bluff somewhere that would work but eventually gave up. There were also a few promising bluffs around Hannibal but they never panned out. Did have fun zipping down the river looking, though.

Nauga,
who wishes he had better news
Mar 12, 2012, 03:52 PM
Semper Fidelis
There are a ton of bluffs across the river from St. Louis. I've got a lot of family out there and in Alton close by. The bluffs look promising, (My mom is requesting I spread here ashes over them) so they must be special.
Apr 09, 2012, 09:52 AM
Wind Powered
So I went on a recon mission this Saturday...heading south again from Champaign.
After a couple 2 or 3 minute flights at a freeway overpass spot...(lame) with my new Weasel....I began my trek to the southern most tip of Lake Shelbyville...to the dam there.
When I got there I was shocked at the sight of this elevation change! I mean...here in the cornbelt....you don't see many things taller than a grain silo!
When I got there the breeze was maybe 2-3mph.
The south facing slope of the dam will def be flyable. The walk out over the road and hoping a guardrail might be a little sketchy...but doable for sure.
I flew a powered warmliner foamie from the west facing slope of the "bowl".
Lots of fun....people would slow and check out the flying. No hassles.
It is about an hour and a half from my house....and I have friends on the lake...so I will be monitoring the spot. It has great potential for south and west winds....and a couple workable spots if it is blowing north.
note* The guardrail is 50/50 grindable Steve ;-) I may have got a good wing half "ping!" off it.
Apr 09, 2012, 12:44 PM
Piscine Promulgator
Score!

Steve
Apr 09, 2012, 08:04 PM
Nice find!

Lew