Thread Tools
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:06 PM
finguz is offline
Find More Posts by finguz
Registered User
finguz's Avatar
Cool, thanks guys. Understood on where to measure now.

Though "geez", why answer if it bugs you so much? Am I trippin? Nonetheless I appreciate the help.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:24 AM
foamyflyerr is offline
Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Registered User
Kicked up the throws on my dual rates to 100 % on High rates now my SU31 rolls like crazy and the blenders are looking good too

:-)
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:16 AM
ahicks is online now
Find More Posts by ahicks
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
Cool, thanks guys. Understood on where to measure now.

Though "geez", why answer if it bugs you so much? Am I trippin? Nonetheless I appreciate the help.

Sorry, now even more confusion. "Geez" generated by being upset with myself for not being clearer or possibly having misinterpreted/misunderstood your question? It was directed at me, not you? I read the question several times and thought I understood it, but obviously did not.

Mental note to self: stop using "geez"! Can't have anyone "trippin" over anything I've got to say!
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:06 PM
Vince_TT is offline
Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Sorry, now even more confusion. "Geez" generated by being upset with myself for not being clearer or possibly having misinterpreted/misunderstood your question? It was directed at me, not you? I read the question several times and thought I understood it, but obviously did not.

Mental note to self: stop using "geez"! Can't have anyone "trippin" over anything I've got to say!
You guys are thinking too much. Just throw that plane in the air and enjoy!
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:32 PM
dude_109 is offline
Find More Posts by dude_109
Registered User
dude_109's Avatar
My hangar of 20-30 planes haven't had any of them checked for control surface travel with the manual. While I won't say this is the way it should be done, I've got a computer radio with dual rates so I set 2 ranges of rates and just go fly and be ready to switch rates as needed on that maiden. Most of my planes are hand launchers so that make it extra exciting

So...since these tend to be 3D planes I'd say set up for max mechanical travel (for those wild maneuvers) and use end point adjustment and expo for your flying style.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:40 PM
finguz is offline
Find More Posts by finguz
Registered User
finguz's Avatar
Thanks for the help ahicks! Sorry man, I took it the wrong way. It threw me off for a second, because it's like I was wasting someone's time. Sometimes communication doesn't translate well over text on a pc. Absolutely my apologies.

"Mental note to self: stop using "geez"! Can't have anyone "trippin" over anything I've got to say!"

HA .


VinceTT, I agree .

Dude109, It's my first 3d plane and I'd rather take a safe route first. Once I feel out how it flies I'm sure I will want max travel. I will definitely have a couple lower rates programmed in just in case on the maiden. I guess it's a slight fear of the unexpected.
Last edited by finguz; Feb 04, 2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:49 PM
wolfewinde is offline
Find More Posts by wolfewinde
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
wolfewinde's Avatar
I agree that setting the control surface up by worrying too much about what the manual says is probably not necessary. I usually set up dual rates and expo at about 50% throw for low rates and 75% throw high raters to start, then work up from there once I get used to the airplane.

In the end I set high rates to 125% - 150% by adjusting the end points, and set the low rates to whatever seems right for just sport aerobatic flight

Wolfe
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:59 PM
T-Bo is offline
Find More Posts by T-Bo
To Close....Switching to Guns.
T-Bo's Avatar
I love my TechOne Edge! :-)
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:00 PM
finguz is offline
Find More Posts by finguz
Registered User
finguz's Avatar
Cool, thanks wolfwinde. That's exactly what I'm trying to do is just get used to the plane first, at least putting it in the air and seeing how it feels. Waiting on batteries to arrive.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:21 PM
ahicks is online now
Find More Posts by ahicks
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
I agree that setting the control surface up by worrying too much about what the manual says is probably not necessary. I usually set up dual rates and expo at about 50% throw for low rates and 75% throw high raters to start, then work up from there once I get used to the airplane.

In the end I set high rates to 125% - 150% by adjusting the end points, and set the low rates to whatever seems right for just sport aerobatic flight

Wolfe
Yup set up about the same here. Well maybe not so extreme on the end points! One thing I do a little different. I do cheat a little on low rate with full up elevator set so the plane won't snap/stall. Awesome "go to" reference point for harriers and other high alpha stuff. Almost like cheating? I set the elevator the same on everything I fly. Wing loading makes no difference! Nothing will ruin a day like dropping a wing on short final with a balsa plane. Makes no difference if it's a warbird, sport or a 3D plane... ANY plane can be set like that. Cheap insurance for those "off" days....
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:19 PM
wolfewinde is offline
Find More Posts by wolfewinde
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
wolfewinde's Avatar
Actually, I have a DX8 so I can program 3 sets of rates/expo. On most planes I set up as follows to start..

low rate = 70% throw/25% expo
mid rate = 90% throw/35% expo
high rate = 110% throw/45% expo

exeptions are these....

3D plane - 50% throw low rate to start
elevator - I also set it just below "snap" on low and mid rates

I don't change end points unless I want to go past the 110% throw - then I mess with end points.

My max set up on a 3d plane is 150% throw and 75% expo. I have to really be in the mood for that and don't so it often since I m not a very skilled 3D pilot at this point

Another exception is that I will often back down on the rudder settings with a lot less expo so I don't have to move the throttle/rudder stick so far to get lots of rudder. Depends on the plane and how I want to fly her. I still have a lot of trouble keeping constant throttle if I have to move the rudder stick too far.

Wolfe
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:30 PM
dude_109 is offline
Find More Posts by dude_109
Registered User
dude_109's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
Dude109, It's my first 3d plane and I'd rather take a safe route first. Once I feel out how it flies I'm sure I will want max travel. I will definitely have a couple lower rates programmed in just in case on the maiden. I guess it's a slight fear of the unexpected.
In the end, it's your plane so do what you feel is best. I wouldn't recommend my route to everyone but I will admit that my hand launch maidens are more exciting...probably shortened my lifespan by a few days whenever I fly a new plane

I've got a Mini Malibu and its my 1st 3D plane. I found it to be very easy to fly compared to all of my other planes. Sounds weird to say a 3D plane is a relaxing plane but they have to be much more stable than scale planes in order for you to do those 3D moves. So don't worry too much, you'll enjoy your maiden.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:07 PM
finguz is offline
Find More Posts by finguz
Registered User
finguz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
In the end, it's your plane so do what you feel is best. I wouldn't recommend my route to everyone but I will admit that my hand launch maidens are more exciting...probably shortened my lifespan by a few days whenever I fly a new plane

I've got a Mini Malibu and its my 1st 3D plane. I found it to be very easy to fly compared to all of my other planes. Sounds weird to say a 3D plane is a relaxing plane but they have to be much more stable than scale planes in order for you to do those 3D moves. So don't worry too much, you'll enjoy your maiden.
Thanks for the advice and encouragement.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:53 PM
wolfewinde is offline
Find More Posts by wolfewinde
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
wolfewinde's Avatar
Bahhhh - I crashed my Swift again today - second time in a week - was doing eye level figure eights with a half roll underneath at the crossover point to change directions and missed one. Broke the nose off again - should be a fairly easy fix

Wolfe
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:48 PM
ahicks is online now
Find More Posts by ahicks
Registered User
Darn, that's too bad! Maybe slow that figure 8 down a little? ;^)

One of these days this northerner is going to be flying much more in the winter months... Retired, and finding fewer and fewer reasons not to....
-Al


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool Twisted Hobbys Owners Thread! hercdriver7777 3D Foamies 13499 Yesterday 10:31 PM
Discussion Dynam Warbird Owners Thread Merlin Power Electric Warbirds 1591 Nov 18, 2016 10:10 PM
Discussion DJI Wookong-M Owners Thread *Pics*Videos*Settings* Z06 Tony Multirotor Talk 1792 May 22, 2016 04:04 PM
Discussion Classic Parkzone Radian Owners thread wingymaster Electric Sailplanes 9 Jun 16, 2015 03:52 PM
New Product GAUI 500x/ GU-INS GPS Owners Thread - Tips, Problems And Experiences sap_2000 Multirotor Talk 231 Aug 05, 2014 05:32 AM