Nov 01, 2012, 09:05 AM
Using foam in moderation
where'd everyone go???

hope you all survived Halloween!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2012, 10:04 AM
BlackLivesMatter.
Lol
i put some LEDs on my Paiget and Had some Fun Spooking Trick or treaters...
Nov 01, 2012, 06:05 PM
Been busy last couple of days, but I have been able to sneak a quick flight each night in some winds...not very pretty flights, but character building. No new builds of Techone stuff, just flying what I got. I've been wringing my Tristania out and liking it, flies similar to the Piaget and I agree they are fun...very slow yet aerobatic. Not very good at hovering yet but these are the birds to practice on...man, I've GOT to learn better left thumb control. Chowsa!
Nov 02, 2012, 10:58 AM
Using foam in moderation
haven't got to fly(or attempt to) in over a week, now its nice outside and we have b-day parties all weekend!!!

have a good weekend all!
Nov 02, 2012, 03:07 PM
Got a question for the 3d'rs (Vince, 3DD, Khen, etc.)out there. Do I want to mix up elevator and counter aileron with my rudder to flatten the turns or continue to do it manually? How bad would the addition of such a mix affect (good or bad) hovering control? Thanks guys, me learning 3D.

Dan
Nov 02, 2012, 03:28 PM
BlackLivesMatter.
forget the mix, Train your thumbs Or it'll bite you back in the hovering and inverted Harriers

K
Nov 02, 2012, 03:44 PM
Don't worry be happy :)
Quite the opposite, according to my experience.
Mixes to fix the rudder coupling will also make hovering, harriers, both upright and inverted and knife edge easier to execute.
Nov 02, 2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks...easy enough to try, if I don't like it I'll take it out. It probably ends up the same as the unresolvable expo or no expo personal preference thing.
Nov 02, 2012, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark
Quite the opposite, according to my experience.
Mixes to fix the rudder coupling will also make hovering, harriers, both upright and inverted and knife edge easier to execute.
+1, but be sure to set your CG correctly before you play with mix, and then mix out the coupling so your knift edge tracks straight. I put the mix on switch so I can turn them off while doing high energy stuff like tumbles, pop top, etc. But most of the foamies can't do pop top anyway. So you can just keep them on all the time that help a lot for slow stuff.
Nov 02, 2012, 04:03 PM
road wart
I get mixed up alot flying........you should ask me!
Nov 02, 2012, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-squared
Thanks...easy enough to try, if I don't like it I'll take it out. It probably ends up the same as the unresolvable expo or no expo personal preference thing.
most of the 3D mono-planes (a well designed plane) I have flown require very little mix. so, you definitely can fly that out without mix. Bipe is totally different story, try the Paluma and you will be amazed how much easier to fly her with mix.

Things get escalated when you fly a balsa bipe, "The KM" (3dhs team pilot) recommended leaving mix on all the time while flying 3DHS Vyper bipe. That tells you something.
Nov 02, 2012, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by racie34
I get mixed up alot flying........you should ask me!
That's a great one!!!
Nov 02, 2012, 08:14 PM
Thanks guys, l'm starting to suspect that what I "think"-(a loose term for me with no evidence I've ever done any) is my assumed correct cg is likely a little nose heavy on the Spirit...any rudder input causes more dive than i'd like. I know some is normal but I don't have a feel for how much is "normal". Sure is fun flying it different ways to find out though, I'm on the verge of indefinite sustained hover...not there yet. Oh, one more thing, trim for knife edge means k.e.is held with only rudder? Thanks ag'in, bros.
Nov 02, 2012, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-squared
one more thing, trim for knife edge means k.e.is held with only rudder?
Yes, and no pull to the canopy or push to the LG at KE.

That's the goal of a perfect mix, but difficult to achieve in real world. If I can do KE with rudder-only while throttle inputs are in a given range, for example, 1/2 to 2/3 throttle, I would be very happy. Also, you are supposed to do flat turns without dropping altitude in the same throttle range with mix on.
Nov 03, 2012, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by racie34
anyone have one of the techone HCF planes from Nitro Planes yet?
Looking at these as well. Not sure how durable they would be though, our indoor can be like flying combat sometimes.

Quick Reply