Sep 28, 2012, 05:11 AM
Using foam in moderation
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-squared View Post
Newguy, I'm using Turnigy 3s 500mAh 20C at 50g weight with supplied 8040 prop. I found that with the 1000mA's some have used it was a bit nose heavy. While it was very stable in that configuration, it flys much slower and almost floaty at the lighter weight. You may prefer the speed and power of the bigger ones, many do. I am pleased with the sport aerobatic qualities and the lower speeds with the lighter however. It is still a warbird and at too slow a speed doing aerobatics it can still stall. Nosed it in twice this past weekend "exploring" itls limits (ok, I was flying like crap) and broke the nose into three pieces. Fixed with Welder's (you really should get some), let dry overnight and good as new and invisible next day. In fact, after repeated stupidity, glued joints held with same crash! So, it can break at the nose due to all the holes up there, but, it repairs nicely without affecting flight qualities. Is this your first 4ch aileron bird? Be advised that thet are "pointy" and do not self correct. You will like that after awhile, I assure you. I launch underhand at 3/4 throttle. Let me know of your experiences and I'll share mine! Thanks, Dan
Sir Dan, thank you for all the input, yes this is my first 4 ch aileron bird- I fully expect to crash - and I am grateful for your help! what would you recommend for assembly of this gal, epoxy or welders? I am waiting impatiently for Nitroplanes to send my order- long story short they have screwed up my order, grrrrrrrr- I will have to order the batts you speak of and go from there, I got out of this hobby for a while and and I am diving back in, very impressed with the prices of things lately, thanks you for all your help Dan!!

Jason
to remove ads between posts
Sep 28, 2012, 09:08 AM
Using foam in moderation
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-squared View Post
Newguy, I'm using Turnigy 3s 500mAh 20C at 50g weight with supplied 8040 prop. I found that with the 1000mA's some have used it was a bit nose heavy. While it was very stable in that configuration, it flys much slower and almost floaty at the lighter weight. You may prefer the speed and power of the bigger ones, many do. I am pleased with the sport aerobatic qualities and the lower speeds with the lighter however. It is still a warbird and at too slow a speed doing aerobatics it can still stall. Nosed it in twice this past weekend "exploring" itls limits (ok, I was flying like crap) and broke the nose into three pieces. Fixed with Welder's (you really should get some), let dry overnight and good as new and invisible next day. In fact, after repeated stupidity, glued joints held with same crash! So, it can break at the nose due to all the holes up there, but, it repairs nicely without affecting flight qualities. Is this your first 4ch aileron bird? Be advised that thet are "pointy" and do not self correct. You will like that after awhile, I assure you. I launch underhand at 3/4 throttle. Let me know of your experiences and I'll share mine! Thanks, Dan

another question sir,

where did you order yours from? I am curious what all comes in the kit form, the photos show a "prop saver" and i am hoping this one does too, I am not really happy with nitroplanes at the moment and if there is one thing messed up on my order I am not going to be a happy camper! just wondered if you or anyone else on here had had any experience with them, positive or negative and what/how I should follow up?
thanks again
J
Sep 28, 2012, 11:42 AM
Just finished and maidened my Techone energy. Very happy with it, harriers nice, and is easy to hover with even though I don't know how to do it yet. lol.. It makes for a nice slow flyer in the back yard as well. I like this even better than my Crack Pitts. Next up, test fly my new Spirit.
Sep 30, 2012, 10:06 PM
Hi jason, haven't checked in lately, sorry about delays with NP. Sometimes they're great, other times not so much with keeping stuff in stock. I did in fact get mine from them but their stock can seemingly vanish overnight, one of the pitfalls of not dealing with a LHS. I used Welder's, best for epp because of flexibility. Loctite stick 'n seal works well too. Prop saver is part of the motor, no need to get a separate one. Keep your throws on the lower side until you get familiar with non-self correcting handling. If this is your first aileron plane, you will be challenged (this is not an aileron trainer really)...it will not be what you think but keep at it and learn to repair! If you can put up with my erratic schedule PM works for me.
Oct 01, 2012, 08:50 AM
Using foam in moderation
thanks Dan! I sent you a msg,
anyone else care to chime in?

anyone else have the 33'' P 51 from Techone? I have a couple other questions as to what comes in the "kit"- the RX ready one as the nearest LHS is 75 mi away!!

1- I see as to what appears to be a servo extension on the right side? is it included?

2- some photos show a plywood "boss" for the servos and some photos not so much.

3- what kind of batt connectors come with it.

4- what is the hinge material? tape? does it need any attention, I have read they need "exercised" they are to tight?

5- how is the stock prop? I have a few oddball props running around, wondered if anyone found a suitable sub?

6- would protecting the underside of this bird be a good idea? (tape or polyurethane, etc?) I am sure I will put this on my roof at least once .

thanks for any and all input!

BTW Nitroplanes had delayed shipping my order by 4 days for whatever reason, I called and waited for over 30 minutes on hold to talk to a human with no results but an "I am sorry sir".
I then used the online chat function, got to chat with a coulple of helpful fellers and got 10% taken off my order! - much happier now!!
lesson learned- USE THE ONLINE CHAT FUNCTION!!!

Jason
Oct 01, 2012, 06:24 PM
Newguy, I don't have the Mustang, but in other Techone kits, the servo extensions aren't included. The hinges are live EPP, but will break away eventually, so you should put in real hinges right away. Since I buy kit versions, I can't help with your other questions. Good luck.
Oct 02, 2012, 12:30 AM
Jason, the battery connector that comes with it will likely have to changed, not one I'm familiar with, possibly it fits Techone's preferred battery or something. Sooner or later you'll likely, out of convenience, have to develop soldering skills and acquire tools and supplies for this. Plywood servo mounts not needed but can be used, I hot glued my servos in without them, a little dab'll do ya. Stock prop works just fine, doubt you'll see much performance change with others within reason. Once you get the kit in your hands you'll probably have more of your questions answered, some adapting always seems to be required and skill with this will come in time. Excercise the hinges for now, see how you like the plane before re-hinging, they'll last for a while and you'll see them coming apart, mine have lasted 30 flights so far. My servos that came with kit didn't require extensions, slits cut in foam will hide them. That should be enough for now, whew!
Oct 02, 2012, 05:59 AM
Using foam in moderation
thanks to all!
sorry if I overloaded you Dan!! I have had too long to think of questions!!
if anyone else has any input I am grateful
2 more days if all goes well and I should have it!
Last edited by newguy2012; Oct 02, 2012 at 06:06 AM.
Oct 02, 2012, 08:50 AM
Finally maidened the Spirit. Blue Wonder motor and 12A esc from HeadsupRC, 8 x 4.3 prop, 3s 450 batteries. Really nice at fast or slow speeds. Feels like a really light plane in the control sticks, which it is of course, so it doesn't like much wind unless you fly at fast speed. It will harrier and hover with ease. It makes me look better than I am. lol. Was a fun build as well. Bargain at less than $40 for the kit. Got it right away from Nitroplanes, no problems.
Oct 02, 2012, 11:01 AM
Using foam in moderation
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl22 View Post
Finally maidened the Spirit. Blue Wonder motor and 12A esc from HeadsupRC, 8 x 4.3 prop, 3s 450 batteries. Really nice at fast or slow speeds. Feels like a really light plane in the control sticks, which it is of course, so it doesn't like much wind unless you fly at fast speed. It will harrier and hover with ease. It makes me look better than I am. lol. Was a fun build as well. Bargain at less than $40 for the kit. Got it right away from Nitroplanes, no problems.
where did it ship to? I am having nothing but bad luck w/NP?
glad you are having good luck with them and the Spirit!
Oct 02, 2012, 12:18 PM
Shipped to Buffalo, NY area
Oct 02, 2012, 06:36 PM
Using foam in moderation
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit38 View Post
Newguy, I don't have the Mustang, but in other Techone kits, the servo extensions aren't included. The hinges are live EPP, but will break away eventually, so you should put in real hinges right away. Since I buy kit versions, I can't help with your other questions. Good luck.
please define real hinges? for EPP whats that going to entail? what I bought is the motor ESC servo combo basically a Rx ready I guess we will see on thursday if all goes well
Oct 03, 2012, 07:34 AM
Well, 'real hinges' could mean tape, plastic hinges, CA hinges, or other things. The hinge on these EPP planes is just a place where the material has been milled out and is therefore thinner and more flexible. It works great for a while, but eventually will (probably) eventually fail. Mine did. It's an easy fix, but only if you don't loose the plane when a hinge lets go midair. Mine did.
Oct 03, 2012, 10:51 AM
Using foam in moderation
thanks for clearing that up! I am trying to get as educated as I can.
any other tips? keep em coming!!!!

thanks again
Jason
Oct 03, 2012, 01:04 PM
Using foam in moderation
Dr Dan
I saw you said something about the batt conections on the ARF you said they weren't something you were familliar with? what did you end up using?
I can solder, I have been a mechanic for the last 10 yrs / plumber/pestmanager, long story
and my wife thinks I am a carpenter lol.

I have the tools- well you can never have enough tools but.....

Quick Reply