Mar 07, 2012, 07:08 AM
Quad Whisperer
Discussion

Multicopter PI-tuning: How to recognize different settings.

I have made a video that may be helpful for the newbies. It has examples of different gain settings and the resulting behavior of the multicopter to aid the tuning of the PI settings.

Beware of the chicken in the end, I might have overdone it a bit

Multicopter PI-tuning: How to recognize different settings. (7 min 52 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2012, 07:22 AM
MaineFlyer
Great video!! We need more like that! And the chicken is a nice touch!!!
Mar 07, 2012, 07:33 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Excellent , nice one.
Mar 07, 2012, 08:08 AM
making crashing a lifestyle!
yeah.. the chicken is to much.... lol

great video! it shows very good what wrong settings look like!
thank you for making the video!

what board did u use? (i guess a KK board...)
Mar 07, 2012, 08:45 AM
That video is a great piece of work - and perfectly timed! I've just put my KK board onto a blueskyrc mini-quad, and I've never set it up as a X-quad before (it used to live on a tricopter). I never really put the effort into tuning the tri properly though. This video will be VERY useful.

And the chicken is... weird... VERY weird!
Last edited by David Jenkins; Mar 07, 2012 at 01:35 PM.
Mar 07, 2012, 09:21 AM
Taka
This showed that KK designed and built great quads, if not this chicken won't have survived till today since it is the one piloting KK first Quad 3 years ago.
Check out page one of KK's thread.
Mar 07, 2012, 01:10 PM
Nice!
Mar 08, 2012, 04:57 AM
Quad Whisperer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estiavilla
This showed that KK designed and built great quads, if not this chicken won't have survived till today since it is the one piloting KK first Quad 3 years ago.
Check out page one of KK's thread.
Yep, it survived this flight:

My Homemade Quadrocopter (2 min 24 sec)

But the chicken is scarred for life, as you can see in the tuning video
Mar 08, 2012, 06:37 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
Hi Rolf,
Nice video Added to the PID Info section of the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Cheers,
Jim
Mar 11, 2012, 06:27 PM
Suspended Account
bump
Mar 16, 2012, 10:03 PM
What is PI-tuning? are we talking about kk v5.5?
Mar 17, 2012, 06:04 AM
Autodidact
I think its Multiwii only...... Not sure on that 100%

Btw kapteinkuk, very helpful video, thanks for spending the time.... Damn chicken almost pissed me off..... Lmao, just kidding. That was weird ...
Mar 23, 2012, 04:40 PM
Can this technique also be used on a Xcopter configuration or does the quad have to be in + configuration?
Mar 23, 2012, 04:44 PM
Autodidact
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno
Can this technique also be used on a Xcopter configuration or does the quad have to be in + configuration?
Mine is an X... I plan to tie mine with small bungees from a single point on a side frame on either side to front and back arms near the ends, kindof a sideways diamondshape....... If that makes sense. Ill take pics , it should be tomorrow or sunday
Mar 23, 2012, 04:59 PM
Bungees will probably be too bouncy - I used some really tough string, as in this picture: