Mar 06, 2012, 04:35 PM
MPP
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Thread OP
Discussion

Guillows B-25 Mitchell

With several unfinished projects on my board I have decided to take a shot at the B-25 Mitchell. What is one more model in the mix? I have always wanted to take on this kit as it is small, has a bunch of plastic, is a twin, and seems to be a good challenge for its size. The wood seems excellent, as it was kitted within the last year. I guess they are listening to us, however we may be losing our "Ironwood" source.

Here is the plan:

elflight Park 280's
Vario three blade 5",5"
3S 950mAh
10-Amp Pro Brushless ESC x2
Most of kit wood
Sheet wings and Fuselage
Belly lander
AUW < 10 Oz.'s HA !

Whenever I see a Mitchell I think of Jimmy Doolittle....

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer" -Jimmy Doolittle
Last edited by MPP; Mar 06, 2013 at 09:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2012, 05:29 PM
Big gov never Works
Hi Mark!

Fuzz
Mar 06, 2012, 05:45 PM
Airplane crasher
Good luck Mark. I tried twice with this plane. The last time I was going to use the 10g outrunners. Same as e-flite 180's the props were going to be the GWS 5x3x3. Even going aileron elevator control I could not get the weight under 16oz. I think with a sheeted fuse and wing you will come in heavier. The biggest issue is the plastic. If you could make the nacelles out of balsa you might save weight, but I tried everything and with solite covering it was just too heavy.
Mar 06, 2012, 05:53 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
I've been sitting on one of these for probably six years. Every time I look at it I just shake my head.

It seem like you should have enough power, you might have to fly it fast but it will look great.

Subscribed

Len
Mar 06, 2012, 06:07 PM
Or current resident
I've had one of these in the stash for at least 10 years. I bought a spare set of plastic parts thinking I would give it a go. After studying the plans and looking at all that plastic.... Considering all I had at the time was GWS IPS motors I deemed it impossible.
It now seems possible with today's motors and equipment.

Good luck with this one Mark! I'm signing on.

BTW, it was great to meet you last week, hopefully if you make it down here again you'll have enough time to fly some models. I've got plenty of stuff you can fly.

Glenn
Mar 06, 2012, 06:37 PM
It flew once before...
Great to have you aboard this year Mark
Mar 06, 2012, 07:42 PM
I have had one for twenty years. The box looks exactly the same. I will be watching closely. Looking forward to your build.

Jim
Mar 07, 2012, 01:15 AM
On the frequency, Mark!

I wonder how much weight you could save by vacu-forming some of the kit plastic with lighter-weight material...and if the result would be practical? Also, borrowing some of Smoke's "selective sheeting" ideas from his B-24...?

Regardless of how you proceed, this will interesting.

Chris
Last edited by Jugjock; Mar 07, 2012 at 01:22 AM.
Mar 07, 2012, 08:58 AM
Registerd Beaver
Mark - I bow to you good sir.
I now deem you the most glutinous of Guillow's punishment servants yet on RCG.

Though I don't have this kit, the DH82 is similar and when I opened it I thought...naahh no way without some hard-core mods.

I guessed that I'd need to thow away everything but the plans to make this fly.
My thoughts are to re-pull the moldings using BBQ plates which are razor thin and, and ... ah shut up Phil and watch him make it happen.

- Phil
Mar 07, 2012, 10:28 AM
Signing on buddy. Good to see you hitting the board with this one. I ought to get rolling on my project too!
Mar 07, 2012, 11:03 AM
MPP
MPP
Thread OP
Hey Fuzz! sorry been away for a bit, my brother passed in January and needless to say been healing last few weeks.

Captain, thanks, you pioneered this as an electric conversion so your threads are very valuable on this pursuit. I may rethink the sheeting but I have a stash of contest balsa that should help on weight savings. could alway go stringers and tissue. plenty of time to decide.

Hey Len anything will fly! but at what cost? I have grand hopes to keep it reasonable.

Glenn, ten Years! yikes, I am getting more hopeful as I dig into this kit. Airfoil is decent, plastic I will have to evaluate but not sure how much would be saved by making out of Balsa. I think what we have as a positive is two props over the main wing surfaces. I really didn't think the porky P-38 was going to fly but it was much better than I envisioned. It was also great to meet you, I would be afraid to fly your models though. Happy to be your camera man. And a huge thanks you for the mossy parts, they look awesome . The hi-light of my trip was going through security with the box of parts. "Sir what's in the box?" Rare airplane parts of course! Sorry about your guard dog , never an easy thing, our thoughts are with you.

Thanks John haven't missed one yet but 3 of 4 on completions. hopefully 4 of 5.

Jim Twenty years! man I guess we all have a problem. I am not sure guillows kits even have a shelf life, just new owners…..

Chris, great idea, I am just about live with the vacuum former I built. I will have to start getting stuff on the scale to see what we are working with. I like the selective sheeting idea.

Phil, seems I am in good company, funny this one demands quite a bit of respect. normally I would be thinking retracts or bomb bay or something extra but like you mentioned, you open the box and....ugh! We will have to go bare bones aileron and elevator belly flopper. Please continue your thoughts, you have some fantastic solutions and I am certainly open to anything. BTW the mustang is a marvel, the retracts are the cats meow! I know, need to finish the small one I have. sometimes just need a change of pace.

Dan! yes time to get cracking!

Thanks everyone

M
Mar 07, 2012, 12:54 PM
Hey Mark, Sorry for your lose! Hope your getting by! Glad to see another Guillows! I have a P-47 1000 series waiting until Im finished with my Dumas F8F bearcat. Im also in CT as well, so its nice to see or read from other here in the same state.

Which Vario hub, and blades would you order for the 30" or so wingspan balsa planes I spoke of? Can you provide a link where you get them. I have seen them online, but Im not sure of the hub? I think I saw 6, 8, 12 etc, or something like that?

Thanks
Jace
Mar 07, 2012, 03:03 PM
MPP
MPP
Thread OP
Hey Jace thanks for your kind words he will be missed. I did the P-47 quite while ago. It is a good flyer with some mods. I use a Vario 8B hub and 9.7" scale blades I believe on the P-47. I think E-flightline has them still but their site was down a month ago. I have had good dealings with them over the years. Good luck and look forward to another Guillows on the board . How far are you from Danbury? I have met a few of the guys around here, good people and fun to fly with.

M
Mar 07, 2012, 03:09 PM
Dan! yes time to get cracking!

M[/QUOTE]

I know...I was just letting time pass and have been busying myself with finishing off my Pitts. I'm taking a long weekend next week and going north. It'll be me, my P-38, a case or two of Wisconsin brews, and...my 3 screaming kids...
Mar 07, 2012, 03:53 PM
Big gov never Works
I'm deeply sorry for your loss, Mark. That prop and motor will make the "Fuzz" cat look great! You need a plastic radial. Possibly Sparky has one that will fit?

Tom just sent me another proto to build. Remember the Dumas controline Squaw?(I'm showing my age) I have one redesigned for electric RC. 40" WS. Looks like a fun plane. I have not built a non-scale in a while.

Fuzz

Quick Reply