Thread Tools
Mar 06, 2012, 02:19 PM
Registered User
Discussion

charging 6 x 1s batteries at once help


hi, i am new to this lipo charging and i have read loads of posts about charging multiple batteries but i just cant seem to get my head around how to do it.

i have a imax b6 charger and 6 x 1s 400mah batteries and i also have 2 x 3s 1800mah batteries out my belt cpx.
i think i have a slight idea on how to do it and have ordered some bits and pieces off the net which should be here tomorrow,
my question is when all the bits arrive can i hook it all up and post a picture for someone to give me advise if its set up right and what settings to put my charger onto, i haven't even plugged the b6 in yet as it scares me lol.
i am just using the basic stock chargers at the moment which takes about 3.5 hours each battery for the 3s ones

thank you

and by the way this is a great forum, i have been reading for weeks
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2012, 02:32 PM
Registered User
Welcome to the forum

Parallel charging is simple, so long as you have the right wiring harness. So let us know exactly what you've got, and someone will be able to talk you through it.

Basically, with batteries in parallel -- either 1S or 3S, but not both sizes mixed -- you set your charger for the same cell-count you would for a single battery, but you set the amps for n times the amps you would normally charge a single battery at, where n is the number of batteries you have in parallel.
Mar 06, 2012, 02:32 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
freechip's Avatar
To parallel charge your six 1s400mah batteries - select 1S and 2.4a charge rate for a 1C charging rate.
To parallel charge your two 3S1800mah batteries - select 3S 3.6 charge rate for a 1C charging rate.

While you wait for your bits to arrive read up on the thread stickies on HOW TO
Mar 06, 2012, 02:56 PM
Registered User
Thanks for the replies much appreciated.
i have already read all the how to sections but still find it confusing, i think i have ordered the wrong stuff ?

i ordered 2 of these leads

http://www.buzzflyer.co.uk/RC-Helico...ipo/p-73-1826/

and one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3505429668...84.m1497.l2649

hope they are what i need ?
Mar 06, 2012, 03:12 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
freechip's Avatar
First link make it sound like it's an adapter that will charge as a 3S and that would mean SERIES.
Mar 06, 2012, 04:32 PM
Registered User
From the limited descriptions I'd say both of those are SERIES connectors NOT parallel.

The first will allow you to charge 3 x 1S batteries as one 3S. So set charger for 3S at 0.4A.

The second will charge 2 x 3S batteries as one 6S. Charger setting 6S at 1.8A.

Steve
Mar 06, 2012, 04:41 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
freechip's Avatar
Second the above.
Mar 06, 2012, 05:08 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick
From the limited descriptions I'd say both of those are SERIES connectors NOT parallel.

The first will allow you to charge 3 x 1S batteries as one 3S. So set charger for 3S at 0.4A.

The second will charge 2 x 3S batteries as one 6S. Charger setting 6S at 1.8A.

Steve
thank you its starting to sink in now .
so if i plugged in 2 of them cables with 3 batteries on each into the balance board would i select 6s 0.4a ?
Mar 06, 2012, 05:51 PM
Registered User

Hello, my impression.


Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick
From the limited descriptions I'd say both of those are SERIES connectors NOT parallel.

The first will allow you to charge 3 x 1S batteries as one 3S. So set charger for 3S at 0.4A.

The second will charge 2 x 3S batteries as one 6S. Charger setting 6S at 1.8A.

Steve
I was told to multiply the mAh, not the amp or voltage.
So for 6- 1s 500mAh @ 1c: set as follows;
1s, 4.2v, .5A and 3000mAh.
If I am miss informed can someone please chime in, my 6x jst parallel harness is in the mail, don't want to abuse my new lipo's.
Thanks in advance, hope I read from a reliable source and this clarifys things.
Mj
Mar 06, 2012, 06:53 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
freechip's Avatar
When parallel charging you increase the mah rating. So six 1S 500 = 1S 3000mah
When you series charge you increase the voltage. So six 1S 500 = 6S 500mah rating.

What's hapening is that he wanted to parallel charge but ordered series charging cables.
Mar 06, 2012, 07:21 PM
Registered User
Thanks freechip, should have looked @ his links. mj
Mar 06, 2012, 08:24 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
When parallel charging you increase the mah rating. So six 1S 500 = 1S 3000mah
When you series charge you increase the voltage. So six 1S 500 = 6S 500mah rating.

What's hapening is that he wanted to parallel charge but ordered series charging cables.
So to parallel charge my (5x) 3s 1000mah 11.1v packs I would use:
3S 5000mah setting? (How many volts to set??)

And to parallel charge my (6x) 1s 600mah 3.7v packs I would use:
1S 3600 mah? (how many volts to set?)
These are 120 SR lipos that only have the 1 jst plug. Its ok to attach them all using only this one plug correct?

I have this setup:
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=55
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=31
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...35A_350W_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=51

Thanks in advance!
Mar 06, 2012, 09:30 PM
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamscon
So to parallel charge my (5x) 3s 1000mah 11.1v packs I would use:
3S 5000mah setting? (How many volts to set??)

And to parallel charge my (6x) 1s 600mah 3.7v packs I would use:
1S 3600 mah? (how many volts to set?)
These are 120 SR lipos that only have the 1 jst plug. Its ok to attach them all using only this one plug correct?

I have this setup:
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=55
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=31
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...35A_350W_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=51

Thanks in advance!
You shouldn't have to set the volts. Your charger will know how many cells you are charging

When charging 1S you only need the one connector..


Glen
Mar 06, 2012, 10:59 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1
You shouldn't have to set the volts. Your charger will know how many cells you are charging

When charging 1S you only need the one connector..


Glen
Ok thanks wanted to make sure about the volts. So I got the math right?
just multiply the number of mah by how many batterys I have connected?
ex: 1000mah 5x packs = 5000mah i set the charger to and select 3s ? (1000mah 3s packs are what i have)

600mah 6x packs = 3600mah I set the charger to? (6000mah 1s packs) set to 1s still with 6 packs?

Havent used my setup yet as I dont wanna mess my lipos up without understanding all this. Thanks for help.
Mar 07, 2012, 06:05 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
freechip's Avatar
Your MATH is right when PARALLEL charging, what you ordered looks like SERIES. There lines the confusion.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Balance charging 6 1S lipo batteries at once octanejunkie Batteries and Chargers 88 Feb 07, 2017 09:19 PM
For Sale Ultra Micro Lipo charging harness, charge 5 batteries at once bpink43 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 May 19, 2010 10:55 PM
Discussion Charging two batteries at once? edragon Batteries and Chargers 2 Apr 06, 2010 05:00 PM
Discussion Charging multiple batteries at once for 4#3b 5teve Micro Helis 10 Jan 06, 2009 01:13 AM
Question Charging 2 x 2S packs at once Terry Rigden Batteries and Chargers 5 Nov 06, 2007 04:31 PM