Mar 05, 2012, 10:47 PM
Thread OP
Idea

GPS tracker, works awesome and only weights 60 grams. Never lose your FPV again

You can also monitor where your kids are when they take the car out

I have an awesome solution for GPS tracking
I got mine on Ebay for $40.00 shipped. I just looked and you can get one for $60 shipped, but you can find them cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Vehicle-Car-...d=p3286.c0.m14

It's only 60 grams and 2 3/4" X 1 3/4" X 1/2" and you can just velcro or zip tie it to whatever you want.

Here how it works:
You put in a SIM card (I use my work phone SIM card) but you can get a prepaid one for less than $10 and it will last a long time.
After setting it up per the instructions you can call it and it responds with a text message to your cell and up to 5 other phones and it texts you the GPS coordinates and battery charge remailing. Your phone asks if you want to open Google Maps and see exactly where you crashed and walk to it. Or you can use the radar feature on your phone and you just hold the phone and that way is also leads you right to it.
You can also check the GPS and battery monitor by texting check123456 to it.
You can even use it as a listening devise if you want to monitor what someone is saying. You text monitor123456 to it and it responds monitor ok, you then call it and it activates the microphone and you can listen to whatever is going on wherever the unit is.
to get it back to tracking you text tracker123456 and it turns into a locator again.
VERY AWESOME and the battery last for almost 2 days.
well worth the money
Last edited by jasper7821; Mar 20, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2012, 12:04 AM
Live FPV or Die
Thank to sharing.

I don`t want to be bad boy, but it is not new. It is indeed the best way to find where your plane is.

But we rarely speak abou it
Mar 06, 2012, 02:58 AM
Or get an RTH and let the plane come back to you.
Mar 06, 2012, 06:04 AM
Just lost this weekend a plane because he can't fight against the 60km/h wind at 700meters altitude.
Wish had such device on board... RTH wouldn't helped at all.
Ordered this yesterday: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/mini-glob...s-tracker.html
Mar 06, 2012, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA
Just lost this weekend a plane because he can't fight against the 60km/h wind at 700meters altitude.
If I had known this website, I would have bought this GPS-Tracker here. It is extremely cheap (and it is free shipping). I have bought my GPS-Tracker from electricheap, It costs me $65 + $13 for shipping.
Mar 06, 2012, 07:39 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Quote:
Bad decision - that's not GPS tracker, that's some kind of "GSM tracker", and works in China only.
I guess, You can modify it to work in EU (navigation with GSM cells only), but:
  • accuracy is very bad (~800 meters in city with high density, ~1.4km away, probably much more)
  • it does not work in EU by default
EDIT:
At least, this one isn't GPS tracker: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/portable-...s-tracker.html (i know who ordered this device, useless). Maybe Yours will be better, it cost 22 cents more! =)
Mar 06, 2012, 07:49 AM
As you can see from product page it IS GPS based, SIRF III chip means GPS.
Mar 06, 2012, 07:57 AM
The Flying Circus
I got my GPS tracker a few weeks back. Now I just have to make sure my plane crashes in cell phone coverage.
Mar 06, 2012, 08:04 AM
Alicante, Espaņa
The porpouses of the two systems are different, this tracker is to locate the plane after you have lost it. I have the wonderfull eagle tree system with it's RTH working perfectly, and I have lost and found thanks to this tracker, my plane four times. Two times because I ran out of battery, one time flying at the height of 6 meters two km away, and the last one because I lost an aileron flying too fast. My RTH tried to help me the last two ocassion, but when I was flying low, at 6 meters of height, the RTH engage a few seconds after loosing control, but it was too late, the RTH made my plane crash agains a little tree. And without aileron the RTH could not do too much either.

And there are lot's of other situaciones where this system will save you from loosing the plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi
Or get an RTH and let the plane come back to you.
Last edited by catamar; Mar 06, 2012 at 08:20 AM.
Mar 06, 2012, 08:29 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Quote:
As you can see from product page it IS GPS based, SIRF III chip means GPS.
I know what's Sirf III is...
But i know how chinese works too =)
The other product (link in my post above) states that it has GPS too - but it doesn't. I simply do not believe, that chinese "engineers" put GPS chip for 22 cents more (including almost the same form factor).

Anyway, good luck with Your GPS, tell us how it works when it arrive. Maybe that's really uber-cheap GPS tracker?
Mar 06, 2012, 08:30 AM
Alicante, Espaņa
Let us know if this GPS tracker works fine, I would like to buy one too, but there is a review saying it's fake. So I prefer to wait for your review.

Quote:
Mar 06, 2012, 08:58 AM
Guy, you make a confusion with this product:
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/portable-...s-tracker.html

Same picture, maybe this is the source of confusion, but different specs, the above does not include GPS type, and also the above has the fake review. Mine has no review at all.
Mar 06, 2012, 10:36 AM
I bought one of these GPS GSM trackers....

http://olyeem.en.alibaba.com/product...uctdetail.html

and it saved the day for me recently when one of my propellor blades let go that then caused the whole motor to rip itself off the front of my Cularis.

(1 min 24 sec)

The motor was still attached by the motor wires and my canopy got blown off which had my camera mounted on it and it to stayed attached by the camera and Pan/Tilt wires.

I engaged RTH which steered my glider back towards me and it flew reasonably well like this because the cofg remained fairly good.

Due to lack of motor my glider landed in very thick scrub about 400m away, the scrub was so thick that even at only 400m away if I hadn't had the GPS GSM tracker I would not have found my glider.

Invaluable.

Geoff
Mar 06, 2012, 04:43 PM
I can fly this plane
What about the one that SC2000 sells? (pb0031)
At least it is from a company with good reputation.
Mar 09, 2012, 04:41 PM
What's the best place to get a pre-paid SIM card? And how much does it cost? I've been researching this a little today but am finding information for this application hard to come by. I very much want to avoid anything with monthly fees.

Quick Reply