Mar 07, 2012, 11:21 AM
Professional Toothpick maker
Great job you really explain the maneuvers well. Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2012, 11:57 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Great job on the ones I've seen so far Wamsy! Can't wait to get back inport to see the latest.
Mar 07, 2012, 12:06 PM
Volts>amps
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
Can you develop a reccomended order in which you learn maneuvers? I know everybody takes their own route, but it would be helpful to list what comes first in your opinion.
One turn spin
Loops
Rolls
Elevators
Parachutes
Inverted harrier
Harrier
Ke spins
Tumbles

Mastering the basics helps a lot, understanding stall and spins helps with harriers, and learning elevators will transition into harriers, can't do rolls? Well you wont be able to master rolling harriers. I put tumbles at the end as they are easy to do and like me you will probably find yourself doing them all the time
Mar 07, 2012, 02:03 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Can you develop a reccomended order in which you learn maneuvers? I know everybody takes their own route, but it would be helpful to list what comes first in your opinion.
many people still jumping up to the hard stuff... like Wamsy, jumped straight to rollers before the usual progression of maneuvers

...but in general, what has been a good order of progression...

- solid foundation: loops, axial rolls, immelman turns, and cuban eights, stall turns
- moving on: snaps and tumbles, four point rolls, spins
- adding complexity: slow rolls, longer point rolls (stretch the four point rolls, make them 8 points, etc), and try to add precision to maneuvers (loops are to be round as possible, everything on a line, etc)

- add the 3D: elevators > harriers > harrier turns > inverted harrier
- some more fun: KE spins, waterfalls

- keep practicing the slow and point rolls, then start to try rolling maybe circles, or slowing the speed of the plane to try rolling harriers

...that would be the general recommended progression by the old-school. flesh out and play with other maneuvers as they come along. many people see they want to string maneuvers together one after the other, it's an easier thing to do if you have a solid base on the more traditional maneuvers.
Mar 07, 2012, 02:26 PM
Quote:
I'd just add that what helped me was flying precision a lot more. Being able to draw big lines really helped me to make minor corrections and fine tune my fingers to put in smaller more precise inputs.

Also really learning to use your left thumb as well. I spent a lot of flights just in KE at all different orientations, rolling into KE from different orientations, etc to really get used to inputing in rudder from all sorts of different orientations.

Other than that, nothing beats stick time.
Mar 07, 2012, 04:10 PM
Fly Low
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
great work, wamsy.

I'd love to see one on snaps .
Will do though will take some time.

Quote:
I really like this idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
many people still jumping up to the hard stuff... like Wamsy, jumped straight to rollers before the usual progression of maneuvers

- solid foundation: loops, axial rolls, immelman turns, and cuban eights, stall turns
- adding complexity: slow rolls, longer point rolls (stretch the four point rolls, make them 8 points, etc), and try to add precision to maneuvers (loops are to be round as possible, everything on a line, etc)

- keep practicing the slow and point rolls, then start to try rolling maybe circles, or slowing the speed of the plane to try rolling harriers

...that would be the general recommended progression by the old-school. flesh out and play with other maneuvers as they come along. many people see they want to string maneuvers together one after the other, it's an easier thing to do if you have a solid base on the more traditional maneuvers.
Good info.

I plan to make a video on the topic.
Mar 07, 2012, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post

Great Stuff, don't forget Knife Edge flight across the field "both" ways. I am getting better with rollers but still struggle with knife edge straight lines.

The best thing about these videos is there is more to learning them than what stick positions you need to be in. That's the perfect world - learning them is not perfect.
Mar 07, 2012, 07:28 PM
Stuck in a tree
subscribed! Thanks to everyone for great tuts, vids, and general help!!! Kudos all!!!
Mar 07, 2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks!
Mar 07, 2012, 09:27 PM
subbed. Wamsy is the man.
Latest blog entry: Czech Mate Motor/Cowl
Mar 07, 2012, 10:39 PM
Fly Low
Thread OP
New tutorial is under the works. Its going to over some cool turnaround maneuvers.

Should be up either tomorrow or Friday. Just depends on if I get distracted by plane building or not.
Mar 07, 2012, 10:54 PM
uptime4downtime
Wow - I just started to post someting about that... brilliant. Quality turnarounds just make everything look better! Nice going and all the best
Mar 08, 2012, 12:13 AM
Support Your Local Hobby Shops
Last edited by aero104; Mar 14, 2013 at 02:58 PM.
Mar 08, 2012, 12:51 AM
Suspended Account
Ahhh mode 2 :P
Mar 08, 2012, 05:59 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
Has a good point regarding mode

May be helpful to offer this out for our down under friends that use mode 1 - it is easily done through playback as you just change the mode on the TX

Quick Reply