Dec 09, 2019, 04:17 PM

Kit Completed

I'm a bit of a late bloomer on this thread. In the last couple of years at Perry, GA there was a gentleman with a couple Spacewalkers with these engine kits. I was impressed with the realistic look and he told me where to get them.
I ordered a 1/3 scale for my old Spacewalker as I would like to start flying it again (my first giant scale plane) and thought this would give it a new look.

I looked around to see what full scale engines looked like and found the sky is the limit as far as colors, so I decided to make it look similar to an O.S. engine.
Grey cylinders with black rocker covers. Here are some notes on changes I made.
1. The rocker covers and exhaust flanges have .80 X 1/4" slotted head machine screws for more scale appearance.
2. I used 1/8" aluminum tubing for the pushrods - could not get the look I wanted with the plastic tubes in the kit.
3. To keep the heat shrink for the plug wires from collapsing, I used .65 weed eater line inside for a smooth bend.
4. To fill in the open blank space around the cylinders in the holes in the side of the cowl, I'm using some .30 black styrene as shown in the photo.
All-in-all, it turned out as expected for me and I enjoyed this little project. Once I get my cowl repainted, I can finish it and install it on the ole' girl.
Last edited by GIJon; Dec 09, 2019 at 04:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 11, 2019, 07:12 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
That's some nice work . Thanks for posting.. I got another kit from John for a 1/4 scale one.. I'm making a crankcase for it also, and we'll display the model with the full size version in a Museum...
I like your idea of string in the shrink tubing.. I used regular single strand electrical wire... Both look great..
Latest blog entry: Ban Birds.
Dec 14, 2019, 02:31 PM
somebody asked about "why up stack" exhaust on some A65's? Sorry, I don't know the answer. However I used to fly a 1938 Aeronca KCA with A50 and "up stack' exhaust. I always wondered why the exhaust stacks looped back down to exit the lower cowl (both sides). My thinking is that the upstack was as originally designed and produced, and possibly a carry over feature of the original A40?. An upward exhaust may not have been viable/desirable (noise? cleanliness?) and thus an adaptation to use existing engines. It could also have been just a styling consideration! In my research into TaylorB-2 C Chummy, there was an unsupported report that C.G. Taylor designed and built a working 40 horse 4 cyl., opposed engine prototype, he'd built for his earliest "Cub", but having neither the time, funds, and or inclination to develop it, he delivered it, in person, to Continental, free of charge. Soon after, the report goes on, Continental offered their own version. I would love to get confirmation , if Taylor's engine was in fact the genesis of Continental's successful flat four engine development? It could be true. in that Taylor was a mechanical genius, and made his way successfully in many varied mechanical fields, out side of and besides aviation. He was also a very humble human being, not nesessarily interested in fame.
Last edited by packardpursuit; Dec 14, 2019 at 02:35 PM. Reason: forgot to comment on some exceptional model engines!!
Dec 14, 2019, 04:20 PM
I built one of these for my Sig 1/5 Cub and replaced the plastic valve push rod tubes with aluminum ones from K&S. Found some the same size and they look much better.

Quick Reply