Thread OP
Discussion

RCGroups.com 2012 ETOC Sequence and Aresti

Here it is the 2012
ETOC Sequence 2012B
Last edited by tntangel; Mar 08, 2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: revision
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks to Mark Leseberg for designing an interesting and challenging sequence.
A more detailed description of how these figures should be flown is provided below. This should help all of the competitors understand what is expected while flying these figures. If there are any questions regarding the written description or Aresti, please post them in this thread.
Good Luck!
Kurt Koelling
2012 ETOC Chief Judge

2012 ETOC KNOWN SEQUENCE (Detailed Description)

1. 4 point Roll, Opposite 3 of 4 point Roll. Exit Knife Edge. K3

2. Knife Edge Entry. Wheels down Tailslide. One Roll up. Exit Inverted. Cross Box. K4
(The knife edge entry radius should match the exit radius. The roll should be centered on the vertical upline. Entry and exit altitude do not need to match.)

3. Hammerhead. Inverted Entry. 2 of 4 pt. Roll Up. 3/4 Pos. Snap Down. Exit Upright. K4
(Entry radius should match the exit radius. Rolls must be centered on the vertical lines. Entry and exit altitude do not need to match.)

4. 6 Pt. Roll K3 (Each point is a 60 degree roll 60/120/180/240/300/360)

5. Half Loop with one integrated roll. Exit Inverted. K3
(Full roll is integrated throughout entire half loop)

6. From Inverted. Rolling Circle 1/2 Roll in, 1/2 Roll out, 1/2 Roll in, 1/2 roll out. K4

7. Half Loop from inverted with 1/2 integrated roll. Exit Inverted. K3
(Half roll is integrated throughout entire half loop)

8. Center Box Double Humpty Bump. Push Vertical. 1 1/4 Roll up. Knife Edge 1/2 Loop. 3/4 Neg snap Down. Pull 1/2 Loop. 2 Pt. Roll Up. K5
(The radii of the first and last quarter loop (entry and exit radii) must be equal. The two half-loops are not required to match each other, nor are they required to match the entry/exit loop radii. Rolls must be centered on the vertical lines. Entry and exit altitude do not need to match.)

9. 1 turn Pos. Spin. Exit Inverted. K3

10. Center Box. Push 45. 1/4 Roll. One roll Circle on 45 Degree Axis. 1/4 Roll exit upright. (Roll Direction Optional. In or Out). K5
(The first quarter roll should be centered on the line segment defined by the start of the 45 line and the start of the rolling circle. The second quarter roll should be centered on the line segment defined by the end of the roller and the beginning of the push to upright exit. The roller begins and ends on a knife edge 45 upline. The one roll rolling circle should be on a 45 degree plane. Roll direction on the roller may be to the inside or outside.)

11. 1/2 outside Loop. 1/2 Neg snap on exit. K3

12. 4 pt. axial Torque Roll, opposite 1 axial Torque Roll, exit upright K5
(The torque rolls should be centered on the vertical upline as depicted in the Aresti. The 4 pt. torque roll and 1 opposite torque roll should both be flown at the same altitude. Entry and exit radii do not need to match.)

Total K = 45

Figure downgrades will follow the Scale Aerobatics Official Flying and Judging Guide published in the 2011-2012 AMA Scale Aerobatics Competition Regulations. (Downgrade of 1 point per 10 degrees or 0.5 point per 5 degrees of deviation).
Apr 04, 2012, 04:30 PM
ChrisG does 3D!
I wish I could do that...
I think I need some practice...

Chris G.
Apr 05, 2012, 12:29 PM
Late
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvehicleGuy
I wish I could do that...
I think I need some practice...

Chris G.
same here
Apr 08, 2012, 07:08 PM
ChrisG does 3D!
Am I correct in saying you are flying in the ETOC this year?
If so I wish you best of luck! I am sure you fly that sequence better than I do.
Also, if you are competeing... What planes are you using? I love picking people's brains about foamies. I make a few myself from time to time. Knowing what other builders keep in mind is always interesting.

Chris G.
Apr 09, 2012, 09:04 AM
Late
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvehicleGuy
Am I correct in saying you are flying in the ETOC this year?
If so I wish you best of luck! I am sure you fly that sequence better than I do.
Also, if you are competeing... What planes are you using? I love picking people's brains about foamies. I make a few myself from time to time. Knowing what other builders keep in mind is always interesting.

Chris G.
sure, I am happy to! For the sequence I will be flying the SBModels Excel V2. This plane is designed and kitted by Scott Barnhart. It is an evolution of design over the SBModels Excel V1 that I flew last year. although I will have both planes at ETOC, the Primary will be the Excel V2 and the Backup being the Excel V1

the equipment used in the Excel V2:

motor - Hacker A10-13L
esc - Castle Thunderbird 6
prop - GWS 9x4.7SF
battery - 180mah 2 cell

ail servo - JR ds290g
elev / rud - Dymond 4.7's
all running at 7.4 direct voltage from the esc

it is framed up with a mixture of 1mm, .8mm and .5mm carbon rod as well as flat carbon. my personal Excel V2 came in at 3.8oz ready to fly with battery. With some attention to detail and precise building some have gotten this plane down to around 3.4oz ready to fly.

The milling on my plane is a work of art. Scott will be offering both milled and un-milled kits soon after ETOC (he's been a little busy )
Apr 11, 2012, 10:24 AM
ChrisG does 3D!
3.8 ounces... WITH the battery? That is insanely light. I guess that is what you want for pattern though isn't it? I make a lot of planes just for bashing with, a little heavier and a little stiffer. Most come in at 5-6 ounces depending on whether or not I use my 15s or the 9l.
If you want to see my most recent airplane, here is a link to the build thread. I would appreciate a professional's opinion. I designed it myself: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1618054
So the Dymond servos work on the HV setup? Neato... I did not know that worked out. One of my friends fried all three of the Futaba s3114's in his plane with an HV setup. Ooops...
The 13L is the cooler motor isn't it? something like a 1400 kv or close to it? Interesting. I have a 9l with the 8X4.3 prop. But a slower prop is probably a little better on battery life I would imagine, more efficient.
Anyways, that plane you have is incredibly light! Do you have any carbon running the length of the wing? Like a 3mm carbon strip or anything like that? I have seen a lot of planes without that but when a plane gets milled so much I would imagine it might need that extra bit of carbon... Even more amazing is how light you made that plane with the Hacker 13l. My 9l pulls a 6 ounce foamy upwards with at least a 2 to 1 thrust weight ratio. That airplane must be wicked easy on the battery considering you are flying with the throttle a quarter stick on in an upline! I guess you need that though with the itty bitty battery you have.

Chris G.
Apr 11, 2012, 04:24 PM
Late
the credit has to be given to Scott Barnhart for his design skills and his guidance to me during the building process. each time I build I get a little better at it. It is a trickle down from Innovators such as Donatas, RJ, Devin and Scott.

I happen to be pretty particular about my Pattern planes in that there is a point where I like to Stop changing things or adding things and practice with what I've got. For a contest like this I would prefer a plane that has about 100 flights on it if possible.

The 13L is around a 1300kv. This is chosen to fly the 9x4.7 prop on 2 cells. I have found that I like the constant speed and power of this prop/motor/battery combo. Scott has been working with 10 inch props on this motor by clipping the blades reducing pitch down to say a 2 pitch and removing material to make it lighter (that innovation that I was talking about) he may very will be running one of these for the contest.

you should definitely be aware that running straight voltage will reduce the life of your servos. however I appreciate the precision and speed of the Dymonds once they are running on straight voltage and both my 3154 and ds290g aileron servos have been hold up well also.

The First 3 minutes of this video is relevant in that it shows some of the F3P pattern contest from efest. You can see some clips of how the Excel V2 flies some of the figures

Hubb's Excelent efest Weekend 2012 - Short Version (14 min 51 sec)

My freestyle planes weigh 5.2-5.4oz I have found FOR ME a little bit of extra inertia doesnt hurt. I have flown some very light freestyle planes and it is a little different. it all depends on your style and the type of freestyle manuver you wish to incorporate.
Apr 11, 2012, 08:59 PM
ChrisG does 3D!
Ya, that pattern plane is flying pretty darn well.
Light is good for pattern, you don't have to do anything involving a "Rolling harrier" I bet your Excel does rolling harriers like a... a... a really light airplane. Harriers are too slow to get good airflow over the ailerons and the rolls look clunky and choppy. A little weight and thinner wing is good for freestyle, get that airflow, and the plane gets more snappy and exciting. Less slow and precise.
I am sure you have seen the pattern airplanes with the saran wrap all over it right? How light do they get? I have tried that a while ago... I had a plane with a billion little triangles cut out of it then put saran wrap over that. It turned out light but I was not that great of a builder or designer at the time so it did not fly special, flew ok, but not special. It turned out around 4.6 ounces with the battery. I thought it was pretty good considering how large it was... 34 inches and a 12 inch tail moment, flew with 350 mah batteries, 2s.

Chris G.

Quick Reply