View Poll Results: With the impending release of the Tempest, what Dynam Warbird would you like next?
Bristol Beaufighter 70 15.80%
Bf 110 53 11.96%
Curtiss P-40 59 13.32%
P-38 Lightning 76 17.16%
Mitsubishi Zero 48 10.84%
de Havilland Mosquito 61 13.77%
Grumman F7F Tigercat 76 17.16%
Voters: 443. You may not vote on this poll

Mar 05, 2012, 07:31 AM
Just throw it up!
Thread OP
Discussion

Dynam Warbird Owners Thread

Hi all

This is a thread that I have created to discuss all Dynam warbirds. It can include any suggestions that Dynam can use as feedback to allow then to build better RC warbirds including any suggestions for future Dynam warbirds.

I currently have two Dynam planes, the AT-6 Texan, and the Spitfire.

The things that I like about Dynam warbirds are:

- for the price, they are excellent value for money.

- they are normally in the 1200-1300mm size, which are easy to fit in the car without dismantling them, but large enough so they still have presence in the sky and stable.

- the motors they use are very good and provide more than enough power, particularly when running on four cell batteries (but enough power on 3 cells for more scale like flying)

- The epo they use is tough and can take a beating

- I like that the decals come uninstalled, as it allows you to customize the paintwork without having to remove decals like other brands.

- they are excellent flyers, and never need much trim to get then flying right.

The things that I don't like so far about Dynam planes is:

- The landing gear needs to come with more forward rake out if the factory to avoid nose-overs

- the control rod/horn setup that they use with the screw and bolt is dated, and would work much better with a normal plastic clevis setup.

- Sky blue is not grey, and looks silly when it is expected to.

- The pilots they use are never to scale. How hard can it be to get scale pilots that don't looks like midgets or bigfoots.

- a mustang does not looks good or right at all with a three bladed prop unless it is an Allison engined early one

The retracts seem to be tempremental, temperature sensitive, and have moments where they just decide not to work for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Feel free to add any more issues that you may have with the products.

Cheers, MP
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2012, 09:55 AM
PEMAC
I have the Mustang and the Spitfire.
I agree with all of the above, you have nicely summed up the pros and cons.
Although I have never had any issue with the retracts apart from having to increase forward rake for grass strips.
They look nice, are a pleasure to fly stock with almost no mods, are inexpensive and just the right size.

One thing I'd like to add to your list:
I bought the spitfire because the scale proportions are so good! So many model Spits have the tail enlarged, or the fuse too thick, or a flat underside. The Dynam is the right shape and size.
They have even got the wing fillets right, all the way down to the slight scallop under the trailing edge of the wing/fuse, giving a gull wing (once I increase the dihedral). Even some static model kits are missing this.
The Dynam spit is a Mk. IX. It has the right tail shape, right number of exhausts, etc. They did their research which is fantastic. Well done.

Perfect candidate for adding some scale details. I can easily fix the blue paint and change the pilot
Mar 05, 2012, 02:49 PM
Just throw it up!
Thread OP
Yeah very true about the spitfire. I looked at getting the fms spitfire, but it looks silly with the large gap between the spinner and the cowl. The gap in the dynam spit is nice and small, and it makes the plane look so much more scale like.

If you are looking for another dynam plane, try the Texan. It is fantastic. With the two bladed prop, it has more then enough power on a 3 cell setup, and doesn't seem to need a 4 cell setup like others have said is almost necessary on the spit or mustang.

In terms of future products, I am happy that dynam has made an FW 190.

I would like to see them think about making:
- a Tempest (there are no foamie Tempests out there at all in the 1200mm-1400mm size)
- a proper scale looking P40 (the FMS version looks strange).
- a twin edf Me 262 (dynam has edf experience with their A10).
- A Yak 9 or something Russian.

Any other suggestions?
Mar 11, 2012, 11:58 PM
Just throw it up!
Thread OP
Ok this thread was a hit! Haha. I have another thing to add about the Dynam warbirds that I like. Their toughness! I had a crash with my AT-6 Texan yesterday. Something played up on my transmitter, and it went in hard. The only real damage was a bit of a cracked wing, and a dint in the cowl. I was amazed. It should really be in bits.
Mar 12, 2012, 04:16 AM
PEMAC
Yes, they are tough.

I flew my P-51 into the ground - think lawn dart - and it survived incredibly well.
I was getting over-confident as it fly's so stable, and doing things a warbird shouldn't do like tight cornering and stall turns, which it does very well. Elevator throws were at full.
Well, I found her limits and she tipstalled from a very tight ( perhaps 6m diameter) turn into the famous P-51 spin about 20m up. I almost caught it but she tipstalled again and had to cut throttle 1 second before impact. She went in fast in a 80 degree dive. I was sure I was going to come back with confetti.

When I found it, it had broken a prop blade, and had slight wrinkles in the nose. Thats it!
On further inspection the motor mount was slightly loose, which needed the fuse cut open to re-glue. Looks like the spinner took the whole impact. I am impressed.

Oh, a good replacement prop is MAS 3 blade 11x7

I did a review of the Dynam Spitfire Here -> http://rcmodelairplanenews.tumblr.com/
Last edited by SleepySean; Mar 16, 2012 at 08:46 AM.
Mar 12, 2012, 05:21 AM
Just throw it up!
Thread OP
Haha I have had the mustang death spin on my FMS 800mm mustang a few times, so I know what that is like. Not a nice feeling.

I am spewing about the Texan as it was intact and it is going to have a few battle scars now, but it adds character and something was bound to happen to it eventually.

I am thinking of getting the dynam mustang after I have finished fiddling with the dynam spit. The only thing that annoys me is the three bladed prop. Just looks weird on the mustang.
Mar 14, 2012, 03:43 AM
PEMAC
No reason you can't put on a 4 blade. You'd have a little less efficiency, therefore probably need to get a prop that will up your amp draw a bit and an esc that can take that though.
Mar 15, 2012, 07:15 AM
Just throw it up!
Thread OP
Yeah that is very true, I guess there is a few four bladed ones in that size which are yellow. I would need to paint the exhaust stacks, and would leave the invasion stripes that the pictures show on top of the wings off. Very tempting.
Apr 15, 2012, 10:43 AM
Closed Account
Hi>. Have Dynam P-51 and like it very much>. May fall in love with it after a few good flights and landings...I would like to get a Fuselage to install a retract tail wheel... Who sells
Dynam a/c parts????Who sells Dynam r/c/aircraft???
Apr 15, 2012, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplanecolt
Hi>. Have Dynam P-51 and like it very much>. May fall in love with it after a few good flights and landings...I would like to get a Fuselage to install a retract tail wheel... Who sells
Dynam a/c parts????Who sells Dynam r/c/aircraft???
I got my Spitfire from Nitroplanes.com They do sell parts for these planes also.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/dy8939parts.html
Apr 17, 2012, 01:28 PM
Closed Account
I cut the top hatch off from the 2nd parting line in front of the Copit to the yellow line at the nose...The whole top opens. You can get to the motor mount,battery section,Plastic motor fire wall... Also opened the fuselage air scoop under the wing and made a exhaust vent at the rear of the fuselage .as the real one had..Made Two good flights today..The rack on the gear does not want to stand up...Nose tipper on grass..
Apr 17, 2012, 02:12 PM
Jim
Wonder why Dynam doesn't make a Corsair in the 1200mm range
Apr 17, 2012, 03:03 PM
Quote:
I cut the top hatch off from the 2nd parting line in front of the Copit to the yellow line at the nose...The whole top opens. You can get to the motor mount,battery section,Plastic motor fire wall... Also opened the fuselage air scoop under the wing and made a exhaust vent at the rear of the fuselage .as the real one had..Made Two good flights today..The rack on the gear does not want to stand up...Nose tipper on grass..
How are you keeping it closed after you cut the nose? Some photos of what u did would be great.
Apr 17, 2012, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W
Wonder why Dynam doesn't make a Corsair in the 1200mm range
I would buy one. Especially if it had retracts.
Apr 17, 2012, 06:04 PM
Love Flying History
It seems with Dynams new soon to be releases the FW190, and BF109 there moving into a little bigger and heavier planes , and changing to 4cell batteries. I would like to see them add rake to there landing gear, like FMS has done. I know alot of guys here have changed out the 3cells to 4cell batteries, so it does show that Dynam is listening, but I prefered 3cell planes . My spit is fast as is for scale, just by changing out the ESC from 30 to 40amp. added to its speed, Oh well. Looks like there stepping up on the looks department ,wich is nice, but I'm sure with the upgread in ESC and battery the coast will go up as well.

Quick Reply