Aug 07, 2012, 05:30 PM
Thread OP
I have been very busy so I’ve not had much time to post my progress on the X2.
The photos are pretty much self-explanatory. I have about 40 days remaining to get this thing ready for Balls. Build, build, build.

X30
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2012, 08:27 PM
Thread OP
Here are some more build photos.
These show some of the progress and techniques used to complete the fuselage.
The last photo shows it almost completed. I’ll start fiberglassing it soon.

X30
Aug 23, 2012, 09:33 PM
Looking sweet!

Richard
Aug 24, 2012, 12:33 AM
High-power Rocket Gliders
Looking good! I wish you success completing the model in time for BALLS. I'm building an L1 glider (for CTI H54). If I finish it in time, I want to go to BALLS and get my L1 there. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post22392879

BTW, one of your previous posts mentions your Me-163. I wonder if this it the one you are talking about: http://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/me163/rc02.htm

Ari.
Aug 27, 2012, 06:55 PM
Thread OP
Hi Ari,

Cool glider! I hope you make it to the Balls launch, although they typically do not allow any certified motors smaller than a “K” at this event. It may not be the best place to get your L1.
My ME 163 was launched from a pad.
Perhaps I’ll get to meet you in a few weeks.

X30
Aug 28, 2012, 11:19 PM
That is a very cool Komet! I wonder what motor it's flying on.

If commercial motors are problematic at Balls, it may not be worth my travel.

I still wish you success finishing and flying your X-2.

Ari.
Sep 03, 2012, 10:43 AM
Bugle6
Quote:
Originally Posted by X30PILOT
Hi Ari,

Cool glider! I hope you make it to the Balls launch, although they typically do not allow any certified motors smaller than a “K” at this event. It may not be the best place to get your L1.
My ME 163 was launched from a pad.
Perhaps I’ll get to meet you in a few weeks.

X30
I would love to spend the day in your shop!!!! You have some awesome techniques that obviously work.
Sep 07, 2012, 06:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I would love to spend the day in your shop!!!! You have some awesome techniques that obviously work.
It’s unlikely that you would travel all the way to Texas just to see my messy shop.
I would suggest you check out some of the R/C warbird events in your area. Find the guys that are scratch building and see how they do things. Most of the methods that I use are standard scale model aircraft construction techniques.

I am vey pleased with the way the X2 is coming along. I realized 2 weeks ago that while I could get it done in time, it would be such a rush job that I wouldn't be pleased with the result.
So just for right now I shifted my focus to my 1/2 scale Hyperion. So the next window to fly the X2 would be at LDRS July 18 thru 22nd of next year or at Balls in September of 2013. Both events will be held at Black Rock.
This will give me time to get the X2 done right as well as provide me the time to do some testing and get some additional equipment installed.

X30
Sep 07, 2012, 07:53 PM
Good job! Looking forward to the complete article, whenever that happens.

Ari.
Sep 19, 2012, 08:04 PM
Beautiful,

Thanks for telling me about this. My X-1 won't have your CG challenges and hopefully you'll avoid my flutter challenges.
Sep 24, 2012, 03:56 PM
Very nice project. Just talked to Neil, he mentioned your Komet flight was cool. I was to setup and fly Charlie's Delta X15 but that's turning into logistic challenge. Anyway, Neil mentioned you were involved in the design/build, if it's something you wouldn't mind discussing perhaps we can chat through pm or phone. Thanks, Jerry
Sep 26, 2012, 08:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I was to setup and fly Charlie's Delta X15 but that's turning into logistic challenge. Anyway, Neil mentioned you were involved in the design/build, if it's something you wouldn't mind discussing perhaps we can chat through pm or phone. Thanks, Jerry
High Jerry,

I was pleased with the flight of the Komet.
PM me as I would be delighted to help you with the X-15.

X30
Sep 30, 2012, 06:15 PM
Thread OP
I’m still cleaning up from Balls and what a great event it was. Even though I didn’t get the X2 done in time for this year’s event I’m glad I went. Flying at Black Rock is a truly unique experience. I did manage to put up a good flight on the Me-163 and the Hyperion went to 17,920 feet on a Gorilla M-745 and recovered in perfect shape. The M-745 would be the very upper limit for the X2 and I’m glad I got to try it in the Hyperion.
It had a nice kick off the pad and a real nice 7.7second regressive burn. The Gorilla moon burners are great for R/G applications. I have a Gorilla K-470 and that may be a great motor for the first flight of X2.

X30
Oct 01, 2012, 04:01 PM
I love your tower design! I wonder if you can post some closeups. It looks like as long as you have buttons on the bottom, you can launch almost anything from it.

Ari.
Oct 02, 2012, 09:46 AM
Trons and Fumes
Quote:
Originally Posted by X30PILOT
I’m still cleaning up from Balls and what a great event it was.

X30
I wanted to go this year to watch. Told the kid that, situation allowing, 2013 we go see. Tough to pull two in subsequent weekends though.

Quick Reply