Mar 02, 2012, 01:54 PM
Thread OP

Gens Ace, Turnigy, Turnigy Nano-Tech Sky lipo, etc. What's Your Preference?

I've been wanting a thread where some of the main brand batteries can be discussed so I thought I would just start one. I would like to hear your opinions but without slamming other brands too much. Just say why you like what you like, and/or why you would avoid certain brands(without going on a rant). These threads are heated debate magnets so I would like to avoid that if possible.

The main battery's I would like to talk about are the ones in the title since they are in the same price range and easier to compare than more expensive ones like TP or cheaper ones like Zippy, but I would be happy to hear about new ones too. The point of this thread is too get a majority preference and make a large knowledge bank for everyone to draw from when they want to buy new batteries. So please share your experiences...

I'll just start by saying (of the mentioned brands) I've tried 1300mah 3s 45c Turnigy Nano-techs and, 1300mah 3s 25c Gens Ace packs. Both perform very nicely and I'm sure I have well over 100 cycles on all of them. But despite the lower C rating of the GA, it seems to have a higher output current. Both are good packs but GA is my preference of the two.
Last edited by jlloyd1995; Mar 02, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2012, 02:26 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
You WILL get a heated debate. Always happens when trying to discuss different lines of packs.

From HK, Rhino's. IMO, every brand out of HK is low end and near garbage sans the Rhino line. They tend to be pretty good for the price.
As for your exact request, as you know from reading this forum over the years, the Gens Ace line is consistantly better than most.

Pass the popcorn...
Rick
Mar 02, 2012, 02:31 PM
Southern Pride
Problem is that a great 25C of one size does not mean that all will be the same quality even in the same brand. Brand X may have a great 25C 180 and a fair 1300 but their 3300 may be awful.

Every C rating of every capacity of every brand has to be rated on its' own merit.

Charles
Mar 02, 2012, 02:34 PM
Agree with you both on GA. Measurable data proves that these are the real deal.

I used to feel the same as Rick on the Rhino's as I have some small ones (2S 1050mAh) that I bought several years ago that perform and measure wonderfully. I have a friend who bought some 3S 2250's several years ago and his similarly performed and measured great. Here's the bad part... The same friend recently purchased additional Rhino 2250's based on previous positive experience and these performed and measured much poorer than his well-used 2+ year old Rhinos. Have not seen any other recent measured data that the Rhino's are still good. As such, I will personally avoid them until I see data that they have fixed their issues.

Mark
Mar 02, 2012, 02:39 PM
Thread OP
I had a couple of Rhinos. Wasn't impressed with the output or lifespan.
Mar 02, 2012, 02:44 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
I never used to buy lipo's from HobbyKing, but in the last few years I have been using Rhino's, Turnigy's and Zippy flightmax, all seen to go well for my sport flying, I have no doubt that there are much better batteries on the market.

I do have a couple of flighmax 2200mah before they started with zippy on the label which dont perform worth a cracker, I have some 1800 which are better.

I have got some Hyperions 3700 mah which are still doing well and are coming up for 5 years old.
Mar 02, 2012, 02:51 PM
I have used the Turnigy 5000s in a 12s configuration for EDF. They do alright with many cycles on them by now but the voltage drop at full rpm is considerable(but still 4000W capable). It would be interesting to know if GensAce would do better.

And then I am curious about the new Zippy Compact 5800s. Their size is almost perfect for me. But may be too good to be true 5800?
Mar 02, 2012, 03:22 PM
Thread OP
You could try a couple of these: http://www.hobbypartz.com/gensace6s30c.html

or these: http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-5500-6s1p.html

They're on sale now.

What aircraft are you using them in?
Mar 02, 2012, 04:29 PM
Yep, I was thinking of trying the later. These go in a BVM Viper I converted to electric.
Definitely want more than 5000 so 5500 should work. 6000 would be ideal but without breaking the bank.
Mar 02, 2012, 04:41 PM
RC plane addict ;-)
I read a lot of these threads about which batteries WE think are the better ones and some of us will like different batteries for different reasons and applications

I've used loads of different brands over the years and i always go back to Hobbyking for mine as i find there batteries for ME are the best value plus they have a bigger selection on sizes from MAH to cells and different brands for the reason i stated above i suppose.

I've got a few GA batteries and i'm sorry but the ones i've got don't stand up as well as my Nano-techs,but thats just me and what i find i like the best for power,value and life span so far that is.

I use Turnigy 3s 1800mah & 2200mah 25/35 C for my warbirds and the Nano-techs for my EDF jets which are 3s and 4s anything from 1800mah right up to 4600mah and bigger,the more c rating the better when i don't have to worry about weight.

This just what i like to use and no doubt other people won't agree with me plus i might not agree with what they use and why,thats why most of us are individuals and will not always agree with others.
Mar 03, 2012, 04:25 PM
Thread OP
I never realized how batteries of the same brand can vary in performance just because of size difference. Seems a little hit and miss. But I'm sure the majority of the batteries of "better brands" perform well.

Like I said, I'm very pleased with the performance of my 3s 1300mah GA packs so I'm interested to find out how well my 6s 4000mah GA packs hold up. I'll report back after I've gotten a lot of cycles on them...
Mar 03, 2012, 05:05 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
I have tried every brand mentioned in the heading. GensACE is my choice - no doubt! An example: I was testing a 5S hotliner setup, and a GensACE 5S2200 30C delivered better performance under load than a Turnigy Nano 5S4000 45/90C. Amps were above 190...
Old Mar 04, 2012, 01:22 AM
Ericliu
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. It is temporarily hidden while Ericliu edits it.
Mar 04, 2012, 03:26 AM
Southern Pride
Reported

Do Not Advertise / SPAM in our Threads or on this site.

Thank you.
Mar 13, 2012, 01:12 PM
Bought some HK nano 65c lipo's. Just charged them up, and breaking them in. I did try full power for a few seconds on one motor run, and saw no addtional power than a std 40c pack.... Will it have more power after a few cycles?
Is there any thruth to the 65c rating????

Quick Reply