Mar 01, 2012, 04:07 AM
Thread OP
Help!

tip on flying small rc planes

hi I have flown a few very small indoor rc helicopters and recently I bought my self a yak 54 4-ch micro classic.( i think that is what it is called.) it is my first rc plane(I broke it on first day just been fixed) and a few tips on flying it would be very much appreciated
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2012, 04:15 AM
hey now,
A tip? Yeah sure. Get a basic trainer and start with that. A semi scale freestyle stunt plane is not the place to start. You're just setting your self up for pain and failure. I know trainers aren't all cool looking but neither is a smashed up model.
RobII
Mar 01, 2012, 04:30 AM
Thread OP
oh i thought that the yak 54 was a trainer
Mar 01, 2012, 05:25 AM
Suspended Account
you'll find getting a HBZ4900 hobbyzone Champ to be your first plane .Design is prefrence, and that will be after you mastered her, getting your plane.

what Tx do you have with the Heli, am sure it is a Dx6I or better.

the plane sold for 90.00, now droped to 80. so it is not worth scratch building anymore.

everything you need is in the box, and is DSM2 technology will bind to the tx

Once you decide if it is indoor or outdoor you will advance to bigger planes. a Slowstick, or super cub good luck all beginenr planes
Mar 01, 2012, 08:03 AM
Thread OP
thanks for the advice. just a qestion do you think it is worth geting a simulator like does it help or not really
Mar 01, 2012, 08:11 AM
Closed Account
Simulators have absolutely helped me out.
Mar 01, 2012, 08:19 AM
Suspended Account
There are free simulators desktop pilot the correct name is at the section simulator.

It does not a thallus work the to the T. It is good

I started w/o one I picked it up in a heart beat some may not

A sim becomes interesting/ boring. Just need a few minutes at a time. Not hours. To spend $125.00 you have unlimited planes o fixing needed lol

Not all models are on there the downside. I lose interest in games but one day will pick up and have fun. To realy get the feel instructor buddy box and a course. If recreational it is a learning tool hobby becomes expensive
Mar 01, 2012, 04:31 PM
Keep it CLOSE
Mar 01, 2012, 05:20 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics
you'll find getting a HBZ4900 hobbyzone Champ to be your first plane .Design is prefrence, and that will be after you mastered her, getting your plane.

what Tx do you have with the Heli, am sure it is a Dx6I or better.

the plane sold for 90.00, now droped to 80. so it is not worth scratch building anymore.

everything you need is in the box, and is DSM2 technology will bind to the tx

Once you decide if it is indoor or outdoor you will advance to bigger planes. a Slowstick, or super cub good luck all beginenr planes
Hey now! See comment below my username.

Although I agree, get a Champ or similar. A decent Tx is a good idea as well, that little toy Tx is not very conducive to precision control.

Cheers,
Carey.
Mar 01, 2012, 05:32 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfwreck
hey now,
A tip? Yeah sure. Get a basic trainer and start with that. A semi scale freestyle stunt plane is not the place to start. You're just setting your self up for pain and failure. I know trainers aren't all cool looking but neither is a smashed up model.
RobII
I take offense to that, I think trainers are cool looking. They are planes and fly after all and some can be semi-aerobatic as well.
Mar 01, 2012, 08:34 PM
The first plane of us newbie is not going to last and therefore doesn't matter which one you got, although some will fly better than the others. I don't have any one nearby to teach me but the fine folks at youtube gave many tips to help fly better. Anyway there are few things that I learned from youtube can surely helpful. If you make a turn, move your control stick very little and never hold more than two seconds because at higher speed will cause the plane stall and that is how I crashed my first plane. And always fly your plane infront of you and once you found yourself about lost control, shut down the motor and let go all the control stick.

Edmond
Mar 01, 2012, 08:52 PM
Get the HZ Champ. I just bought one as my first plane. I've been flying helis for about 1 year now, and my maiden flight on the plane was earlier today. I managed to keep it in the air for about 8 minutes and didn't crash one time, even the landing wasn't bad for a virgin plane pilot...lol I admit the the first couple minutes were not very pretty, but I kept it in the air. That thing is super easy to fly, easy to fly in a smaller area, and a lower altitude ( I flew it about 25 ft up). I am hooked now, I'll fly this one for awhile, then move up to something 4 ch. that I can fly with my DX6i. Champ= Super Easy!
Mar 02, 2012, 12:21 AM
Hello...first post...

I am new as well. I purchased the Champ several months ago, and was quiet happy with my purchase. I really only get to fly at small parks while my two young boys are on the playground. The Champ has been sturdy enough to survive my attempts at destruction. The only REAL damage came when my wife talked my in to letting my four year old son "take the wheel". This resulted in the nose being torn off the fuse, and tearing the wing nearly in two. I knew this would happen, as did she. She promised to buy me a new plane if that one were to break. I now have a shiny new UM T-28, and a battle damaged Champ that I think flys better with all the glue and tape I added to her.
Mar 02, 2012, 03:11 AM
Thread OP
thanks for all the help guys one last question though what is the difference between a trainer and a normal plane
Mar 02, 2012, 07:48 AM

an attempt to reply

Although I am certainly not qualified to answer your question, I am going to attempt to answer correctly. I know someone will correct me if I am wrong and I welcome anyone to do so.

TRAINER PLANE = high wing plane, wings on top of body ( T )

You can get them in 2ch, 3ch and some in 4channel functions like throttle, elevator, rudder, and ailerons.

The fewer the channels the easier it is to fly.
2channel plane has throttle and rudder
3channel plane has throttle, rudder, elevator
4channel plane has throttle, rudder, elevato, ailerons

Go to any rc web store and search "trainer", you will get the idea
Also most of the trainer planes come as "RTF"(ready to fly) which includes your radio control transmitter-tx/rx, motor, prop, esc, servos, your plane battery and a battery charger. Most all of this is installed already. Very minimal assembly to do. Componets are not generally conceived to be of "great quality" but substantial enough to learn how to fly.

Then when you master this initial step, you will love it soooo much, you will want to spend thousands of dollars on the quality of equipment you will need to satisfy your newfound desires....

Now someone please grade me on my response. I still am awaiting the arrival of my simulator purchase and do not even own a plane yet. I think I will soon purchase the Apprentice though! ... or the EStarter, or the super cub, or the fun cub, or the champ, or the sky hawk, or the hawk sky, or the bixler, or the cessna 182/185/310, or let me get my notes as I have many more I have considered. Get the idea?

Quick Reply