Mar 06, 2012, 08:35 PM
After 500X is returning to “Home” position, i only switch back the "RTH-switch" and land without any problems in GPS-Modus!
you can land very easy in GPS-Modus :\
Last edited by MCopter; Mar 06, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 08, 2012, 06:36 PM
Artic jetflyer
Thread OP
Now I am ready for a new attempt. Hopefully not with a crash as the result this time. Time will tell.

Did the following after the last attempt:

- New boom, 4 new props (balanced) and and replaced a prop adapter
- Installed new firmware. Version x1.2
- Rebind TX/RX
- Calibrate ESC's
- Mounted a new 3(6) A UBEC received from GAUI (that by the way is the same one as you get from HK)
- Removed the positive wires of the ESC's to the GU-INS
- Reduced the gain about 20% from center after advice from GAUI (Had reduced gains on an earlier crash as well, and was later told by GAUI the the gains should be at center (50%). go figure )
- Used alu tape to the underside of the dome to shield GPS antenna from GU-INS and vice versa.
- Moved the RX satelites down to the landing gear to gain distance from the GU-INS.

If still not work, I am seriously out of options as ALL the electric and electronic components has been changed during this "test periond".

Pics.
Mar 10, 2012, 11:44 AM

stationnary

I have the gu ins too and I am trying to set it up. I have a strange behaviour in the autobalance mod. I can t have a stationnary the quad go down and up with huge amplitude and quite slowly without touching the throttle I try to change the gain and to play with expo on the tx to have a better precision without success. My esc are program with default setting. I really don t know chat going on. with the manual mod it s even harder . With DR50 and expo I still have hard time tobilize it in all diow rection when I go left for example the quad go left but dont slow down when I go back to the center. I don t know if i have a problem with my tx turnigy 9x or the esc programmation or the esc
Any idea ?
Mar 12, 2012, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link69
I have the gu ins too and I am trying to set it up. I have a strange behaviour in the autobalance mod. I can t have a stationnary the quad go down and up with huge amplitude and quite slowly without touching the throttle I try to change the gain and to play with expo on the tx to have a better precision without success. My esc are program with default setting. I really don t know chat going on. with the manual mod it s even harder . With DR50 and expo I still have hard time tobilize it in all diow rection when I go left for example the quad go left but dont slow down when I go back to the center. I don t know if i have a problem with my tx turnigy 9x or the esc programmation or the esc
Any idea ?
Have you done the ESC/throttle calibration?
maybe re-calibration will be better
Mar 12, 2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks for your answer,
I really think that I have a calibration problem. When I follow the calibration procedure, the ESC calibration seem to be ok. But when I restart the GU-INS esc keep beeping. I tried to trim, the subtrim : no improvment.
see the video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY5hKR2IRBI

So I decided to get rid of this problem by doing the calibration between +100 and -95 with the throttle. It s very surprising if I play with subtrim or trim I can t calibrate but If I move the physically the throttle from +100 to -95/-97 during the calibration procedure everything seem to be ok, I can restart the GU-INS without any ESC beeping.

I thought by doing this I could fly by adjusting the trim. It seems that I was wrong.
The GAUI behaviour doesn't seem to be normal.

I really don't know if it's a Tx/Rx problem (turnigy 9CH with er9x) so I decided to buy a real one (HITEC eclipse 7 pro, optima7) and I am waiting for it and testing it.
I am really confused because I don't have any calibration issue when I calibrate individually the ESC directly on the channel 3 of the Rx. This issue only occured through GU-INS.

I hope The new Tx will solve this.
Mar 12, 2012, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Thanks for your answer,

So I decided to get rid of this problem by doing the calibration between +100 and -95 with the throttle. It s very surprising if I play with subtrim or trim I can t calibrate but If I move the physically the throttle from +100 to -95/-97 during the calibration procedure everything seem to be ok, I can restart the GU-INS without any ESC beeping.

I thought by doing this I could fly by adjusting the trim. It seems that I was wrong.
The GAUI behaviour doesn't seem to be normal.
i am a little confuse about this "I move the physically the throttle from +100 to -95/-97". Throttle need to move during the calibration procedure ,isn't it?
From the beeping of ESC,it sounds like the warning of throttle position is not at the lowest position.
Maybe the Tx/Rx signal is not stable enough causing this problem?
Mar 12, 2012, 12:42 PM
I mean that the only way to avoid esc beeping was during the calibration procedure I moved the throttle stick to the top position then very close to the lowest position but not the lowest position. Then when I restart I moved the stick to the lowest position. With this procedure the esc don t beep and I though it could work by adjusting a little bit the trim. I hope it s only the tx /rx instability as you proposed
Mar 12, 2012, 08:55 PM
Quote:
I mean that the only way to avoid esc beeping was during the calibration procedure I moved the throttle stick to the top position then very close to the lowest position but not the lowest position. Then when I restart I moved the stick to the lowest position. With this procedure the esc don t beep and I though it could work by adjusting a little bit the trim. I hope it s only the tx /rx instability as you proposed
It looks like the Tx/Rx is not stable as mentioned above.

You were willing to pay $1199~1299 for the GU-INS 500X, but only spent $150 for the Tx/Rx? It's funny.
Mar 14, 2012, 11:09 AM
Artic jetflyer
Thread OP
Quick update.

Got to test a little today after installing the UBEC and the other changes decribed earlier.
Still have occational kicks/ shakes while in GPS mode as before. I suspect the kicks is what initiates the loss of control when it goes nuts and drops from the sky. Does not feel reassuring.
When this happened, I quickly took it out of GPS mode and the kicks stopped.

Did not get to try RTH today as the magnometer seems to be interferred and in some directions it drifted 50-60 deg of course. In other directions is was not so bad, buf if i adjusted the pot to get it to track straight in one direction, it would just drift of when heading in other directions.

I have experience from autopilots in boats and this is exactly what happens when the magnometer is interferred by an magnetic field.

This did not happen before, so I suspect the newly installed UBEC is the cause.
Will try to move it and/or wrap it in alu tape to try shield the GU-INS from magnetic interference.
Mar 14, 2012, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sap_2000
Quick update.

Got to test a little today after installing the UBEC and the other changes decribed earlier.
Still have occational kicks/ shakes while in GPS mode as before. I suspect the kicks is what initiates the loss of control when it goes nuts and drops from the sky. Does not feel reassuring.
When this happened, I quickly took it out of GPS mode and the kicks stopped.

Did not get to try RTH today as the magnometer seems to be interferred and in some directions it drifted 50-60 deg of course. In other directions is was not so bad, buf if i adjusted the pot to get it to track straight in one direction, it would just drift of when heading in other directions.

I have experience from autopilots in boats and this is exactly what happens when the magnometer is interferred by an magnetic field.

This did not happen before, so I suspect the newly installed UBEC is the cause.
Will try to move it and/or wrap it in alu tape to try shield the GU-INS from magnetic interference.
You have to twist all the power cable including UBEC ,just like the GAUI mentioned at video.
alu tape does no help on magnetic interference ,only help on EMI interference
Mar 14, 2012, 12:17 PM
Artic jetflyer
Thread OP
Nasamit.

If you read the earlier posts, you would see that cables are allready twisted to MAX, and that the problem came now after installing the UBEC.
Mar 14, 2012, 10:10 PM
It sounds like the power cables are twisted, but doesn't look like.

Please also take the manual, find P.14, and read what it says if you can.
Mar 15, 2012, 03:36 AM
Artic jetflyer
Thread OP
Ohh? Where does it not look like it?
They are twisted at least the "4 circles" the manual calls for (P 3)
Mar 15, 2012, 06:08 AM
Artic jetflyer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB994
It looks like the Tx/Rx is not stable as mentioned above.

You were willing to pay $1199~1299 for the GU-INS 500X, but only spent $150 for the Tx/Rx? It's funny.
CB994.
You seem to know a bit about the GU-INS. You even know the pages in the manual...
Every one of your posts so far have been about the 500x/ GU-INS
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sear...duser_%20CB994

Why not you share your knowledge with us and show us your equipment and experiences ?
After all. This thread is about sharing experiences and helping GU-INS owners enjoying their product.

Have a good day
Mar 15, 2012, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sap_2000
CB994.
You seem to know a bit about the GU-INS. You even know the pages in the manual...
Every one of your posts so far have been about the 500x/ GU-INS
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sear...duser_%20CB994

Why not you share your knowledge with us and show us your equipment and experiences ?
After all. This thread is about sharing experiences and helping GU-INS owners enjoying their product.

Have a good day
Yes, i am familiar with 500x, so?
It's common sense to read the manual, isn't it?
I 've posted my suggestions, obviously you don't need it, pro.

Quick Reply