Thread Tools
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:28 PM
Doc Austin is online now
Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight
Doc Austin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Doc,
Did you say that was custom vinyl? It looks same as stock, no?
For this plane I wanted to go as nice as I could get it, so I had B & E Graphics copy my stock decal sheet and make a new set out of vinyl. If you want a set they can hook you up.

Unfortunately I just couldn't see it when I tried to put them on. I don't know if this is some sort of weirdness left over from my laser treatments, some mild form of dyslexia, or if I love the plane so much that I had a mental block and was too stressed out to put the decals on. I think I just wanted it perfect and was afraid I would screw it up.

Either way the untold story here is that I have dreamed about owning a nice laser since about 1980 or. Back then you simply could not get one. The big Bob Godfrey jobs were $1200 for a bare airframe (worth it, but obviously out of my price range), and a .40 size MK kit came out weighting in at about 7 pounds and flew terrible. I was sick of racing and sick of pattern and sick of sport planes. I could not get a decent Laser, so I just quit.

Fifteen year later I come back because electrics are so good and I was shocked to see all these beautiful scale aerobatic planes. I have always flown really, really hard, and the new breed of extreme aerobatics plays itself right into my hands. Right away I noticed the Extreme Flight Yak, But I did not figure I could handle that plane. Since then I followed what Extreme Flight was doing, and all along I had this little fantasy about wearing that cool Extreme Flight Aerobatic Team logo on my back and flying a Laser for them.

Now I've got a Laser and I've earned that logo on my back. As far as modelling goes, that's the end. There are no more goals. This is it.

It's hard to explain how happy I am.
Last edited by Doc Austin; Sep 26, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:30 PM
stgdz is offline
Find More Posts by stgdz
Volts>amps
stgdz's Avatar
Doc your assessments on the laser align with mine. The thing is so stable and floaty, I constantly find my self going lower and lower with it in harrier. I've been below my eyes from one side of my field to the other. And floaty is it ever but it doesn't get bucked around anymore in the wind than the other 48's. Mine is also heavier than the other 48's and it confuses the hell out of me as to why this plane is so good.

Probably the fat fuse and tall tail.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:10 PM
RCPilot1234 is offline
Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
I think the edge is the floatiest of the bunch. between the Extra and Laser, though, the laser seems to float more, even if it does weigh the same as the Extra. I have no explaination for this.



The Laser does some weird gyroscopic stuff and I need to tumble it more and find out just how wierd it can get. it pop tops really sweet.... maybe a litle bit too easy.



It seems to be, which again I don't understand because I believe they share the same wing.
Thanks for the great reply! Argghh, decisions decisions decisions
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:21 PM
Doc Austin is online now
Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight
Doc Austin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Thanks for the great reply! Argghh, decisions decisions decisions
Ok.......... honestly? It's not like you're buying a car. We argue all day over which airframe is the best, oir which is the right one, but the truth is they are all outstanding and all of them are really pretty similar. Each one has it's own unique special strengths, but overall, they are pretty similar.

If you are new to 3D, the Edge is the best choice. I think everyone agrees on that.

After that you just pick the one you like. The Extra and the Laser are very similar. It seems to me that from the Extra to the Laser to the MXS they are pretty much the same plane except the pitch authority gets stronger as you move up the progression like I just listed them. I believe all three of them use essentially the same wing, so it doesn't make sense that the Laser is the floatiest, but it is.

In the end, these planes are so nice that you will eventually want them all. May as well get the one you like the best now. Personally I have always dreamed of having a nice Laser and it's just an incredible bonus that I am flying it for Extreme Flight. It's sort of a double dream come true.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:04 AM
Doc Austin is online now
Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight
Doc Austin's Avatar
Double Post. Sorry.
Last edited by Doc Austin; Sep 28, 2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:47 AM
Doc Austin is online now
Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight
Doc Austin's Avatar


Edit: Since posting this video I edited a second one and saw that I was having trouble lining up my slow rolls, altitude wise. One one pass it would climb and on another it would dive. I thought I had my CG screwed up until I remembered that I put an HS5085MG on the elevator after I have flown it several times with an HS5065MG. I had simply forgotten to program it

So this morning I checked the dead band on the elevator servo and it was up around 8, whereas you want it around 1 for best centering. I've been through this before with the servos on my 60" Extra, so the lesson here is always check the programming on your digital servos, especially if they are new out of the box. The HS5065MGs have been golden, but the HS5245MGs are notorious for having the dead bands all over the map. They work great once you program them, but it looks like that's becoming a necessary step.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:48 AM
3drcparts is offline
Find More Posts by 3drcparts
inverted-i-fly
3drcparts's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post


Edit: Since posting this video I edited a second one and saw that I was having trouble lining up my slow rolls, altitude wise. One one pass it would climb and on another it would dive. I thought I had my CG screwed up until I remembered that I put an HS5085MG on the elevator after I have flown it several times with an HS5065MG. I had simply forgotten to program it

So this morning I checked the dead band on the elevator servo and it was up around 8, whereas you want it around 1 for best centering. I've been through this before with the servos on my 60" Extra, so the lesson here is always check the programming on your digital servos, especially if they are new out of the box. The HS5065MGs have been golden, but the HS5245MGs are notorious for having the dead bands all over the map. They work great once you program them, but it looks like that's becoming a necessary step.
which programmer do you use, I still have not done that and I have 5065 and a 5085 in this as well
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:06 PM
m0dest is offline
Find More Posts by m0dest
aka ECAA3D
m0dest's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post


Edit: Since posting this video I edited a second one and saw that I was having trouble lining up my slow rolls, altitude wise. One one pass it would climb and on another it would dive. I thought I had my CG screwed up until I remembered that I put an HS5085MG on the elevator after I have flown it several times with an HS5065MG. I had simply forgotten to program it

The HS5065MGs have been golden, but the HS5245MGs are notorious for having the dead bands all over the map. They work great once you program them, but it looks like that's becoming a necessary step.
I've bought 5 5245s a few months ago and another a month ago and all were at 1on the deadband.
I think they addressed the programming issue. Sort of pissed me off that I spent the 50.00 on a programmer but now I have a nifty little servo tester/programmer.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:55 PM
Doc Austin is online now
Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight
Doc Austin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
which programmer do you use, I still have not done that and I have 5065 and a 5085 in this as well
There are less expensive ones, but I like it that you can use this one at the field. You don't need a PC or Iphone to make it work. I keep it in my glovebox.

http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/cha...nt/hfp-25.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaa3d View Post
I've bought 5 5245s a few months ago and another a month ago and all were at 1on the deadband.
I think they addressed the programming issue.
I hope so, but now that I have a servo programmer it doesn't make much difference to me.

Quote:
Sort of pissed me off that I spent the 50.00 on a programmer but now I have a nifty little servo tester/programmer.
I guess if you're going to run digitals you really need a servo programmer/tester anyway.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:04 PM
stgdz is offline
Find More Posts by stgdz
Volts>amps
stgdz's Avatar
What hell makes this thing so floaty.


None of my other 48's are this floaty or easy in high alpha.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:08 PM
Doc Austin is online now
Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight
Doc Austin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
What hell makes this thing so floaty.


None of my other 48's are this floaty or easy in high alpha.
Looks like the same wing as the Extra and weighs the same so it doesn't make much sense. Maybe that fat fuesleage creates a lot of lift.
Last edited by Doc Austin; Sep 28, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:51 PM
Doc Austin is online now
Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight
Doc Austin's Avatar
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:33 PM
RCPilot1234 is offline
Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Ok.......... honestly? It's not like you're buying a car. We argue all day over which airframe is the best, oir which is the right one, but the truth is they are all outstanding and all of them are really pretty similar. Each one has it's own unique special strengths, but overall, they are pretty similar.

If you are new to 3D, the Edge is the best choice. I think everyone agrees on that.

After that you just pick the one you like. The Extra and the Laser are very similar. It seems to me that from the Extra to the Laser to the MXS they are pretty much the same plane except the pitch authority gets stronger as you move up the progression like I just listed them. I believe all three of them use essentially the same wing, so it doesn't make sense that the Laser is the floatiest, but it is.

In the end, these planes are so nice that you will eventually want them all. May as well get the one you like the best now. Personally I have always dreamed of having a nice Laser and it's just an incredible bonus that I am flying it for Extreme Flight. It's sort of a double dream come true.
Thanks for that Doc! you're right, I'm pontificating too much, haha! considering it's more floaty and just different, I think I'm gonna try the Laser

Just got a Twisted Hobbies Crack Yak so will have to wait about a week for enough money to get the stuff, haha
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:57 PM
danielph is offline
Find More Posts by danielph
TEAM EXTREME!
danielph's Avatar
stgdz,

The Laser feels really floaty because of the huge fuselage. Most guys don't think about the fuselage as creating lift, but if you think about it, look at the fuselage area on the laser and compare it to the wing area. -Pretty impressive!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:55 PM
stgdz is offline
Find More Posts by stgdz
Volts>amps
stgdz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielph View Post
stgdz,

The Laser feels really floaty because of the huge fuselage. Most guys don't think about the fuselage as creating lift, but if you think about it, look at the fuselage area on the laser and compare it to the wing area. -Pretty impressive!
I agree and the only other difference is the tall tail. It looks wider than the extra but I've put the extra canopy on the laser and its not that much bigger. I just didn't figure a side are would create much lift though but it does look fatter curvier from the top.

Here's some side shots. I have all of them



Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted Extreme flight 48 inch Extra EXP parts knifeedge63 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Jun 24, 2014 12:10 AM
Discussion 60 inch edge 540 vs 48 inch extreme flight extra 300 & edge 540 vs 3dhs slick 51 & 59 CRFan1 3D Flying 40 Mar 04, 2012 03:45 PM
Alert For sale Extreme flight 48 inch edge exp rtf cheap rudyhal Atlanta Area RC 7 May 28, 2011 01:32 PM
Sold Extreme Flight Extra EXP 48 inch w/ Airboss45 ESC- Torque2814/820 combo (Austin, TX) HKC3 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 17 Feb 05, 2011 11:49 PM