This thread is privately moderated by sfakias, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 27, 2012, 01:27 AM
ScratchCrasher
Thread OP
Build Log

My scratch build Skywalker clone (SSSW1)

Below you can see some explanations and some photos regarding the construction and evolution of my scratch build Skywalker clone.

Enjoy - feel free to ask

The first step was to collect information about the actual geometry of the original skywalker. This was done within this thread.

Then, I started working on CAD drawings: the evolution of the plans and the final resuts are documented in this thread. (see attached pdf file for the three views drawing)

The plans were printed as tiled A4, cut and cellotaped together to generate the fuselage (top and side views) and airfoils templates.

Using the paper airfoil templates, airfoil profiles from aluminum sheet were cut.

Based on the airfoil profies,the raw material (EPS sheets of various thicknesses) was hot wired to shape the wing and tail parts.
The main wing is composed from four sections that were joined together with epoxy glue.

The horizontal stabiliser was made into two sections.

And one section for the vertical stabiliser.

The fuselage was also hot wired (top and side view), and then knife and sandpaper were used to give it its final 3D shape.

Carbon fibre tube reinforcement was installed in the lower part of the fuselage

Channels were also hotwired into the wing and the horizontal stabiliser for cf tubes reinforcements installation. The cf tubes were glued in place using wood glue, and extra foam was added on top of the tubes, where required, to smooth out the contours.

Glass cloth was applied with finish-cure epoxy at the lower part of the fuselage to protect in case of hard landings

Canopy was cut from the fuselage. Test fit of all the parts below

Ailrons cut - plastic reinforcins strips were installed at the area where the wing connecting bolts come through

Ailerons covered with coloured packing tape and control horns installed

Weight of the main wing - without servos or coloured packing tape covering

The inside of the nose area and the area below the main wing was hollowed out using hotwire

Side hatch was cut for easy access to the internal electronics

Wood reinforcements were installed, with internal nuts, for the wing to be bolted there.

Also, bamboo sticks reinforcements were used to strengthen this highly stressed area

A plastic motor mount was made, which was glued to the foam and also glued to an embeded plastic tube, through which the shaft of the NTM 36-36 1400KV motor. Also, the cutout that will accept the Turnigy Plush 60A ESC is visible in front of the motor.

Several channels were hotwired for wires to come through, and for ventilation of the internal conpartment

ESC and motor installed

Wing covered and ready, with servos installed. No flaps are being used

Wing dihedral is shown here

A special 4-wire servo harness was made for rudder and elevator servos. The HXT900 shown here were later replaced with 939MGs for the tail group.

Canopy open - 2x2200mah 3S1P LiPo inside

Side door open - electronics inside are shown ET OSD system on board. Gotta love the wire spagetti!

Front view - FPV ready

Side view - FPV ready

Check out the maiden flight vid here.
Last edited by sfakias; Jun 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2012, 11:11 AM
Looks like a fun project! Good work! I'm working on a Skywalker inspired scratch build, but I'm not using the exact dimensions/proportions of the Skywalker. One thing I was wondering about is what angles to use for the motor mount? Do you have an answer to this for your plane?
Mar 03, 2012, 05:12 PM
ScratchCrasher
Thread OP
Hi MtnSnowFlyer.

I originally had designed 3deg downthrust, and 0deg side thrust. During test flights it was evident that the downthrust should be reduced to reduce the tendency for the plane to pitch up under power. Because there are too many factors that come into play that affect the optimal thrust angles, I can only say that you have to determine the ideal thrust angles for your plane by doing some tests.

Regards,
Stavros
Apr 02, 2012, 07:22 AM
Stavros, now the Skywalker has 1,9m new wing...you gotta make a clone ..I asked for info about the wing but noone responded yet..
Marko
Apr 02, 2012, 01:19 PM
ScratchCrasher
Thread OP
Hello Marko,

yes, I have noticed the new wing, as well as your questions about exact dimensions not being answered. I have also noticed that they changed the wing airfoil (probably using more than one airfoil along the length of the wing), but the exact airfoil used in the 168cm version is not known either. Maybe we have to wait until more people have the 1900mm version, and then it would be easier to get the answers we need.

At the moment, I am fine-tuning my clone for reliable RTH, and trying to repair a chainlink LRS that was given to me, in order to attempt longer flights. Up to now, I am very pleased with the 168cm wing, and although I plan to make a 1900mm wing too, it is not a plan for the immediate future. I think that the benefit of the 1900mm wing would be the increased payload capacity and better gliding characteristics: it should worth the try.

Regards,
Stavros
Dec 13, 2012, 11:31 AM

Letter format

Hi,

This plan look good, I would like to build one to but I cannot print this to letter format. Do you have letter format pdf?

Thank's
Dec 14, 2012, 04:48 PM
ScratchCrasher
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelley.py
Hi,

This plan look good, I would like to build one to but I cannot print this to letter format. Do you have letter format pdf?

Thank's
Hi,

No, I have never printed anything in letter format... What's wrong with A4?

However, if you follow the link in the first post, you can find the AutoCad drawing, from which you can print in any scale and in any format you like.

Regards,
Stavros
Dec 18, 2012, 10:16 AM
we hope to have a complete pdf titled for a4
Dec 18, 2012, 05:39 PM
ScratchCrasher
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by essadiq
we hope to have a complete pdf titled for a4
Hello, see my post (#37) in this thread.
Sep 05, 2013, 02:34 PM
ScratchCrasher
Thread OP
Many thanks to Kreso from Zagreb in Croatia for sharing his build.

You have to check it out here.
Sep 10, 2013, 01:38 PM
ScratchCrasher
Thread OP
Photo about motor thrust line
Jan 26, 2014, 02:20 PM
Very good build....are you still using this plane?, is it a efficient build?, i want to use this plan to build plane for one hour plus flight with fpv and all equipment onboard. what do you recommend Sir?
Feb 01, 2014, 05:48 PM
ScratchCrasher
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrolics
Very good build....are you still using this plane?, is it a efficient build?, i want to use this plan to build plane for one hour plus flight with fpv and all equipment onboard. what do you recommend Sir?
Hi electrolics.

The plane is still operational, but I do not get much free time to fly it lately...
I would say it is efficient enough. I can easily get 30 min flight time without flying it very conservatively with two 3S 2200mAh in parallel onboard, AUW 2,5kg using a 3536 NTM 1400kV motor with 9x6 prop. It also glides fine: if you get a strong enough thermal, you can even gain altitude with motor off, and under no circumstances it drops with a high sink rate.

Now I dare to say that it can be possible to get 1 hour flight time, but you have to keep this in mind when you choose the power system, and be very conservative while flying it. Also, try to keep the total weight as low as possible.

Keep us posted about you progress, if you like.

Regards,
Stavros
Feb 08, 2014, 06:08 PM
great job Stavros, and thanks for sharing, I try to build one of this and post the progress, thanks again for the info!!
Sebastian from Patagonia Argentina
Feb 09, 2014, 06:13 PM
ScratchCrasher
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapvolo
great job Stavros, and thanks for sharing, I try to build one of this and post the progress, thanks again for the info!!
Sebastian from Patagonia Argentina
Thank you sapvolo.

I hope you will enjoy it!

Quick Reply