Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 26, 2012, 07:47 PM
Jedi Master
Help!

Turnigy 420 Charger Problem

The cell 3 red/green LED light on my Turnigy 420 charger magically stopped working today after about 5 charge cycles. Now it only charges cells 1, 2, and 4. No smoke, no smell, just didn't come on when I plugged it in this time. Worked fine last time.

Anyone have this problem and is there a way to fix it?

Another defective product from Hobby King!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2012, 07:57 PM
Are you certain that you do not have a broken tap wire in your lipoly? e.g.- Does your charger behave this way with more than 1 pack? Broken tap wires are far more common than chargers going kaput.

Mark
Feb 26, 2012, 08:29 PM
Jedi Master
The LED green/red light doesn't come on if there is a battery hooked up or not. When you connect a 12v power supply, all 4 LEDs should turn green, when you connect a lipo battery, they turn red to indicate charging and then turn green when the individual cell is fully charged. There's also a display that shows the % charge on each cell, but it's a completely separate circuit.

The # cell 3 LED doesn't come on when 12 volt power is hooked up, and it doesn't charge that cell on the lipo.

I've been hooking it up to 12 volt lead-acid battery that is fully charged. It worked fine the first 5 charges. I opened it up and tapped and wiggled the individual components for #3 but didn't find an obvious short or see anything that looked wrong.
Last edited by LukeSkywalker; Feb 26, 2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: edit
Feb 26, 2012, 08:37 PM
Ah, gotcha. Yes, it certainly sounds as though your charger has met an early demise. There's an odd chance that it has a bum solder joint or other manufacturing defect. You might pop the lid and poke around for any obviously damaged component. I have never had the opportunity to disassemble a 420 but I'm betting that there are 4 individual charge circuits inside.

Worse case is that you now have a 2S only charger.

Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful.

Mark
Feb 26, 2012, 08:47 PM
Jedi Master
It is 4 individual charging circuits. Yeah, I might try reheating some of the major solder joints before I throw it in the trash. I'm also wondering if I can bridge #4 over to #3 since I mostly just use 3s lipos...

Hobby king has kinda been pissing me off lately with their low product quality..
Feb 26, 2012, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeSkywalker
I'm also wondering if I can bridge #4 over to #3 since I mostly just use 3s lipos...
It would be a bit of a trick but you certainly should be able to do this. You would have to cut a few traces and then solder some jumpers from circuit #4 to circuit #3. The other option would be to simply fabricate a harness from a 4S (5 pin) JST-XH male plug to a 3S (4 pin) JST-XH female jack and then plug into the 4S jack on the charger.

Mark
Feb 26, 2012, 09:35 PM
Jedi Master
A wiring harness is a good idea, that's probably easier than trying to mod the circuit board.