Feb 26, 2012, 06:00 AM
RC Wannabe!
Thread OP
Discussion

my UFO... test flight. not so good, but cool!

i was very excited about my project, but i will abandon it and not finish. the yaw is cool but very slow responsive. efficiency sucks. the only good thing is that you can smash it around and it will still fly after bumping against walls and heads

what you guys think about it?

My multiwii UFO (0 min 38 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2012, 06:14 AM
usual old know-it-all
defo cool!!
Feb 27, 2012, 02:23 AM
RC Wannabe!
Thread OP
yeah it's kinda cool but... ducts must be extremely unefficient: with same confing but with 11x4.7 two blade props i had hovering at 50% and enough juice to lift fpv stuff and cam, for a total AUW of 1500gr and still had great climbing rates. now it weights 850gr AUW, and hovers at 70% and can't lift 500 more grams. it has three blade props, 9x5 and same motors and escs... well, a nice experiment, but something is VERY wrong! probably the ducts, linear, are not right or maybe the props are not right....

the yaw mechanism is very cool, though!
Feb 27, 2012, 07:49 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Id say your ducting isnt correct , i fly edf jets and there is a very fine line ( in the gap between prop and shroud ) between good thrust and bad thrust.
Feb 27, 2012, 12:12 PM
RC Wannabe!
Thread OP
yeah i know. actually the main goal was not to improve thrust or efficiency, just protecting people from the blades and vice versa! i just hoped not to loose too much efficiency but i was wrong....
Feb 27, 2012, 12:15 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Yeah i understand that , the Ycopter itself looks very cool though maybe with a bit more experimenting with prop sizes and the duct dimensions you could have something the flew as good as it looked.
I especially like the vanes for yaw control , very nice.

Quick Reply