Feb 25, 2012, 10:11 AM
cereal killer
Thread OP
Help!

Turnigy 9x Wont Turn On

I opened my brand new Turnigy 9x box, put eight AA batteries in the holder and nothing happened when I moved the off/on switch to the on position. Several tries later after removing and re-seating the batteries (which I checked in two other transmitters, and the batteries are OK) I was able to get a "SWITCH ERROR" and some beeps, which quickly stopped and then a blank screen.

I downloaded the manual and read it, not much help. I found some pages on the internet that explained the "SWITCH ERROR" message and kinda bashed the manual for no mention of it. I put all the switches in the right position, re-seated all the batteries, moved the switch to the ON position several times, and the screen still stays blank, can't even get beeps.

I know this is a low cost TX and I suspect there is some sort of loose wire or similar issue. I have also seen some threads about how the battery holder is a POS and there are several options to use different batteries.

I am considering simply returning the 9X, but I had to wait over a month for HK to get it in stock and ship it.

Any help welcome.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2012, 11:10 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
They are so low in price that many will order two just in case one is DOA.

There is a thread and video showing an owner getting a DOA and fixing it. Most likely what you mentioned, loose wire or cold solder joint.

It's up to you what you do with it.
Feb 25, 2012, 11:51 AM
I've got a Sky Fly TH9X -- same as the Turnigy. I had a similar problem. I boiled mine down to the battery tray and battery connector on the main board. I fine sanded all the connections in the tray and was able to get it working by carefully finding a position in which the leads from the battery tray would work. It's a tight fit with 8 AA batteries and that lousey tray. I've temporarily switched to an 8 cell small NiCd transmitter pack that I had laying around and that fits nicely -- uses KR600AE cells. I'm thinking that won't be my permanent solution, but it's okay for now. Until it is rock solid I'm not flying anything with it. The battery connection to the main board bears further investigation. I'll eventually put in a Smartie Parts board and upgrade it to the er9x software.
Feb 25, 2012, 12:47 PM
Just get a different battery holder. The stock one is a cheap pos. The radio is fine, you got it to power up for a minute, that indicates to me that you have trouble getting power into the radio..

Another option is a TX pack using another battery type if you have one or are willing to order one. Or even some other random source of 8-12v. Just make sure you don't reverse the polarity.
Feb 25, 2012, 01:43 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
agree on the crappy original battery holder - TRIPLE check before you plug a new one in! Too many people have toasted their 9x due to wrong connector or off by 1 type of thing.
Feb 25, 2012, 01:45 PM
Try to tighten up the tabs and connectors in the holder with a couple of 1/4 in flat punches and vise. Just tapp em like tightening up rivets.
Feb 25, 2012, 07:27 PM
One of the things I did was solder all the rivet connections. This is a bit tricky to do because you can easily melt through the plastic on the holder ends. I used a good amount of paste flux applied with a tooth pick, a good hot 25 watt iron, and gave each connection a wipe with a solder pool on the iron tip. It worked fine and is much more reliable now. Another alternative is to use a Walkera battery holder. They are much better quality than the Turnigy/Fly Sky holder.
Feb 27, 2012, 05:46 PM
My 9x was finicky to start off with. I had to install the batteries a couple different times to get power; and then the menu buttons wouldn't respond. Twice I held the "exit" button while turning it on to reboot the software and after the second reboot it starting working normally.

It just takes a few minutes to come out of hibernation or something.
Feb 27, 2012, 06:09 PM
Suspended Account
The battery box is always a trouble maker. Battery contacts are not reliable.

Replace it with a battery pack but use the original connector which came with the box to assure correct polarity. If you use a different connector, you are liable to burn TX.
Feb 29, 2012, 08:40 AM
Make sure all of your switches are either up or back away from you
Jul 06, 2017, 12:13 AM

Turnigy9x won't turn on

I have a Turnigy9x with a frsky djt module. I just hardwired a programmer so I could upgrade from the stock firmware but now the transmitter won't turn on. It doesnt seem to have any short since the module and the USB programmer turns on it the rest of the transmitter is silent.

I would love to get flying again but I can't figure this out

Quick Reply