Which heli is suitable for beginners? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 25, 2012, 02:30 AM
Suspended Account
Discussion

Which heli is suitable for beginners?

Hi,guys

what's your opinion for the helis for beginners? Of course,the most cost-effective one,should be.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2012, 02:49 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
For those who don't know whether they like the rotorwing concept, the $20-40 coaxes are most practical. Like, if you decide it's not for you, you're only out a case of beer.

For those already past that stage, a good stability-enhanced singlerotor is the best value. Though it costs more, it busts less and will keep you interested/challenged longer.
Feb 25, 2012, 04:01 AM
My heli experience started with a twin-rotor coaxial. Mine is a 4-function one like this one http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.u...wister%20helis, which costs more than $20 but has controls which work like the larger "proper" helis. Flying that for a couple of years got my hand/eye/brain co-ordination working properly -- altitude and yaw on the left stick, left/right and backwards/forward on the right -- so that I didn't have too much trouble when I got a T-Rex 500.

A $20 heli may help you decide whether you like messing about with helis, but usually their controls are so different from bigger ones that they won't really help you learn anything. Many people here recommend a computer SIM for learning.
Feb 25, 2012, 10:37 AM
Beginner Pilot
In 2 months I have gone through 6 heli's. I had never flown an rc heli before in my life and had 0 knowledge. My heli's range from 2ch mall heli's to a 4ch fixed pitch flybarless micro heli. If I could do it all over again I would bypass 2 and 3ch heli's and go right to a 4ch with a flybar then to the flybarless. I could probably gone right to the flybarless, but I am not sure I would have had the patience to learn it without quitting the hobby alltogether.

For an inexpensive 4ch heli with flybar search this site for the V911 and the Xieda 9958. They are both near the $50 mark and are fun durable heli's to learn on.
Feb 25, 2012, 07:15 PM
Crash and Burn
MCX2 -- a little expensive, but a wonderful toy you can enjoy for a long time without crashing.
Feb 25, 2012, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawlist
MCX2 -- a little expensive, but a wonderful toy you can enjoy for a long time without crashing.
I'd second that; I'm training on one now. It's very forgiving, and since almost all of my flying is indoors in our cramped apartment, it's probably safer than a single-rotor.
Feb 26, 2012, 12:11 AM
My wife bought me a Syma micro-Chinook for christmas. I quickly upgraded to the Blade mCX2. It's a great heli. I've loevd it. EAsy to fly, more than what hte Chinook could do - more channels, etc. Great upgrade.
Feb 26, 2012, 03:03 AM
Suspended Account
Hi,Guys,I want to start in 6channels,my friend said the plastic 450QS is a good choice.But I don't know much about it.How about thundertiger and Align's plastic helis? if don't expensive,I want to try
Feb 26, 2012, 03:44 AM
Suspended Account
plastic sucks on a 450,, and a 4ch fixed pitch has the same controls as a 6CH aside from adjustable gyro gain and will teach you to fly.

first: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18746 (badass little heli for the buck and it teaches the proper controls)(if you cant fly this one, you will not be able to handle a 450)

the radio will not work with a sim.

second: Pheonix Simulator (without the radio)

third: buy a good computer radio within your budget. ie.. DX6, DX7, DX8, Turnigy 9x, Futaba, Airtronix etc..
Feb 26, 2012, 06:16 PM
Proud To Have Served 1983-1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable Guy
third: buy a good computer radio within your budget. ie.. DX6, DX7, DX8, Turnigy 9x, Futaba, Airtronix etc..
Make that a DX6i not the DX6, as the DX6 only works with the AR6000 receiver
which are kind of hard to come by. The DX6i works with a lot more receivers, but can work with the AR6000. You can usually get a used DX6i on RCG for around $120ish

Smitty
Feb 26, 2012, 10:51 PM
Well thanks for the recommendations for badbrother, i enjoyed the reading an ordered myself a flight sim first.

I did look at that $29 heli. Hmmmmmmm. But I spent $200 on a flight sim. So I ahve to wait......
Feb 28, 2012, 07:27 AM
Slow Flyer
Purchased a sim, smart move you wont regret it. If you handle helis on the sim perhaps a fixed pitch flybarless or not, I'm going to review the Novus 200, soon as will arrive today, looks solid on the video. Hardly wait.

Beginner level will third suggest the MCX, here is a Huey version might still find at a LHS Local Hobby Shop. Clip having super fun with this very stable flyer.

MCX Huey touch and goes

Fun With E-Flite MCX Coaxial Helicopter RC (1 min 8 sec)
Last edited by wnppmy; Feb 28, 2012 at 07:34 AM.
Mar 03, 2012, 12:25 PM
To start: mSR & flight sim with programmable radio.
Next: mCP X
Mar 06, 2012, 11:04 AM
Got my RealFlight 6 software and have been training on that while flying my real mCX2 in between times.

I can't keep a collective pitch heli inside the training circle to save my life. At least I have the reset button.

Happy I have a coaxial heli for now.