Thread Tools
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:51 PM
Thetis is offline
Find More Posts by Thetis
Always, against the wind
Thetis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron357 View Post
Has anyone tried rigging up a steerable nosewheel on the Stratos yet? Looks do-able.
I mentioned before I am working on floats. It seems to me that steerable nosewheel is out of my reach but probably not for others.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:26 PM
povern is offline
Find More Posts by povern
Registered User
Hi,

I fly helis a lot, looking for a plane for night flying, had a carbon z, but didn't do much for me.

Looking at the stratos, and then adding a bunch of LEDs to the wing and fuse.

Figure this would be a nice, relaxing night flyer.

Anyone see any issues with doing this?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:01 AM
Gerry__ is offline
Find More Posts by Gerry__
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
Gerry__'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by povern View Post
Hi,

I fly helis a lot, looking for a plane for night flying, had a carbon z, but didn't do much for me.

Looking at the stratos, and then adding a bunch of LEDs to the wing and fuse.

Figure this would be a nice, relaxing night flyer.

Anyone see any issues with doing this?
A Parkzone Radian would probably be better. You'll be stuck with the stock Tx if you get the stratos.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:45 AM
povern is offline
Find More Posts by povern
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
A Parkzone Radian would probably be better. You'll be stuck with the stock Tx if you get the stratos.
Thought of that, twice as much and harder to fly.

I also want to mount a cup holder on the tx, not gonna do this on my 9503.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:03 AM
Gerry__ is offline
Find More Posts by Gerry__
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
Gerry__'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by povern View Post
Thought of that, twice as much and harder to fly.

I also want to mount a cup holder on the tx, not gonna do this on my 9503.
It's not harder to fly. Once the Radian is up, it flies itself.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:57 AM
Thetis is offline
Find More Posts by Thetis
Always, against the wind
Thetis's Avatar
The Radian is a nice one but compared to the Stratos price is $110 more cash outlay. You will almost get two Stratos for the price of one. I admit the BL is a very nice advantage but for a trainer not so important IMO.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:26 AM
Gerry__ is offline
Find More Posts by Gerry__
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
Gerry__'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
The Radian is a nice one but compared to the Stratos price is $110 more cash outlay. You will almost get two Stratos for the price of one. I admit the BL is a very nice advantage but for a trainer not so important IMO.
The PnP Radian is only, at the most, 30 bucks more and, as the guy already flies helis, I doubt the training features of the Stratos will be required.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:27 AM
cr8tive_leo is offline
Find More Posts by cr8tive_leo
Registered User
cr8tive_leo's Avatar
If you really wanted to, you could add a flight stabilizer on the Radian too, from HK, around $20 shipped.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:27 PM
povern is offline
Find More Posts by povern
Registered User
My original question was if anyone saw an issue with using the stratos for night flying.

I've read that I should go to a radian, but have not heard a reason not to use the stratos......
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:29 PM
Gerry__ is offline
Find More Posts by Gerry__
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
Gerry__'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by povern View Post
My original question was if anyone saw an issue with using the stratos for night flying.

I've read that I should go to a radian, but have not heard a reason not to use the stratos......
Get one then.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:35 PM
Rockin Robbins is online now
Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
No reason not to use the Stratos. It will work well, as would a Radian. It's a personal choice, that's all. But this is the Stratos thread so you should know what answer to expect.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:49 PM
cr8tive_leo is offline
Find More Posts by cr8tive_leo
Registered User
cr8tive_leo's Avatar
You can use it for night flying, just watch your cg. There is enough room for a seperate battery, or you can wire it into the controller on the three extra servo connections. (s+-, labels on the board) I'd probably go for a seperate power supply and ubec to power the lights.

Warranty you know *grins*
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:39 PM
Thetis is offline
Find More Posts by Thetis
Always, against the wind
Thetis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
The PnP Radian is only, at the most, 30 bucks more and, as the guy already flies helis, I doubt the training features of the Stratos will be required.
I fly CP helis and I still use the VI (at least for the time being).
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:27 PM
BigIron357 is offline
Find More Posts by BigIron357
25+ years of RC flying
BigIron357's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8tive_leo View Post
...wire it into the controller on the three extra servo connections. (s+-, labels on the board)...
What?!? Don't TEASE me!!

Okay, I'll admit it... I'm an old guy and flew Kraft, World Engines, and Orbit systems (maybe a Futaba when they first came out in the US) and that I also haven't looked closely at the Rx brick in my Stratos. Heck, back in my day, Rx bricks were about the size of... bricks! LOL So are you saying that I have 3 unused channels or are the servo connections for parallel ops? I only have the original Tx that came with the plane... for now.

Now that I've found the sockets you mentioned, I have questions!

Which socket is the rudder channel? The transmitter does have dual sticks and on landing and takeoffs I'm constantly trying to use the left stick to control the non-controllable nosewheel. Ha!

Anyway, I'd like to add a servo to operate a steerable nosewheel. Hooking up the nosewheel servo to the rudder channel would be a no-brainer. What servo would be recommended for the nosewheel?

Lights would be nice too. I really do enjoy those sunset flights.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:42 PM
cr8tive_leo is offline
Find More Posts by cr8tive_leo
Registered User
cr8tive_leo's Avatar
I'm not sure which is for what. But using the same micro servos, or a micro type servo would be the best (just due to current draw on the board)

You could tape a piece of popsicle stick on either side of the throttle to stop you from using the 'rudder' control.

There are three unused sockets, yes, I haven't had time, but I was going to stick a servo on each and test it. (working on some other things for it too)

I've as spare straot, so if I blow this one up, it's my fault, then I'm going to do a bl conversion on it, if I blow it up the stock rx.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion HobbyZone Firebird Commander 2 jakob98 Electric Sailplanes 0 Sep 09, 2011 06:48 PM
Sold Hobbyzone Firebird Phantom parts - $30 take all PACubFlyer103 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Sep 07, 2011 06:34 AM
Sold Hobbyzone Firebird Outlaw RTF - Great for kids and/or beginners baddb1 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 May 08, 2011 08:36 PM
Discussion Why was HobbyZone Firebird Freedom RTF dicontinued? cschrein Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 2 Apr 19, 2011 08:15 AM
Sold Hobbyzone Firebird Commander 2 Plus Extras banjo_nc Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Apr 01, 2011 08:49 PM