Thread Tools
Oct 13, 2012, 04:44 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__
Word of advice: be prepared to make an effort. It takes all of 6-seconds to copy and paste with a mouse, but a lot longer with a small iPhone screen and big fingers.
I get the message - end of topic.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2012, 04:45 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
Gerry__'s Avatar
I didn't appreciate the rolling eyes.

unsubscribed.
Last edited by Gerry__; Oct 13, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Oct 13, 2012, 09:47 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__
Low voltage cutoff

Thanks Gerry
Oct 14, 2012, 09:25 AM
Closed Account
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL morning here... had some pretty rough storms last night. Was out at daybreak, zero wind but prediction is for 10+ mph and it's beginning now. No flying for this novice today... maybe next weekend.

Recharging my two Lipos... maybe it will calm later in the day.
Oct 14, 2012, 09:29 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__
I didn't appreciate the rolling eyes.

unsubscribed.

Don't quit over such nonsense.

Most of your input has a whole lot of value and most of us certainly appreciate it. I know I have.

Come back and let's all just yak about this great little trainer.
Oct 14, 2012, 04:26 PM
Always, against the wind
Thetis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy
Don't quit over such nonsense.

Most of your input has a whole lot of value and most of us certainly appreciate it. I know I have.

Come back and let's all just yak about this great little trainer.
+1, I agree
Oct 14, 2012, 07:46 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
JayY's Avatar

High Speed, Low Altitude Flying


While I'm still a beginner, my skills and confidence have grown since the last time I posted. Here's a link to a video of me flying our Firebird Stratos at high speed, mostly full throttle, around the field at low altitude this afternoon. I love that the Firebird can float along at half throttle and glide so well with no power at all, but will also really move along if you ask it to.

Jay

High Speed, Low Altitude (0 min 58 sec)
Oct 14, 2012, 07:54 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY
While I'm still a beginner, my skills and confidence have grown since the last time I posted. Here's a link to a video of me flying our Firebird Stratos at high speed, mostly full throttle, around the field at low altitude this afternoon. I love that the Firebird can float along at half throttle and glide so well with no power at all, but will also really move along if you ask it to.

Jay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2b3QhdPJ-s
Nice! I love making it dive at full trottle and hearing the motors scream.
Oct 15, 2012, 09:36 AM
Accidental Kamakazi
RunninKurt's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__
Word of advice: be prepared to make an effort. It takes all of 6-seconds to copy and paste with a mouse, but a lot longer with a small iPhone screen and big fingers.
Funny, the amount of time you spent on sassy remarks you could have easily provided a link. iPhone has a nice "Select-All" "Copy" "Paste" function.

Quietguy, your withdraws cannot be too bad. Friday I got home from work to see the flags at the front of my neighborhood were standing straight out. 10mph steady breeze. I flew the Stratos anyways haha. It had a bit of trouble controlling itself in the wind, but I had 3 complete take-offs and landings with zero damage. It's all about how bad you want to fly, and what your expectations are in my opinion. I think I'm ready to move on to something brushless with more guts behind it. I sure wish I could make this thing BL!
Oct 15, 2012, 10:46 AM
Registered User

I'm stumped


Went out this morning to fly my Stratos and it generally flew pretty well. The problem I'm having is sometimes it won't respond to right rudder! Seems like there is absolutely no response and then sometimes it responds just fine???? Search me! I have noticed on landing when the plane approaches close to me, the left hand motor is not spinning as if it stopped. Right motor is spinning and left motor-nothing, I wonder if it is cutting out in flight and causing the problem. I sure would appreciate some ideas!
Thanks
Don
Oct 15, 2012, 11:01 AM
Closed Account
Oh, I wanna fly, Kurt, without a doubt. But at my skill point, anything above 5 mph will probably result in me planting the Stratos tail up...

king - I wonder if the esc/programming is acting up causing the variable thrust feature to fail. Are your trims set low? Meaning, not trimmed fully to the left? If they are at max, that may cause some issue.

Good luck with that, king.

... Lennie
Oct 15, 2012, 12:32 PM
Registered User
Ginohio's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by king1522
Went out this morning to fly my Stratos and it generally flew pretty well. The problem I'm having is sometimes it won't respond to right rudder! Seems like there is absolutely no response and then sometimes it responds just fine???? Search me! I have noticed on landing when the plane approaches close to me, the left hand motor is not spinning as if it stopped. Right motor is spinning and left motor-nothing, I wonder if it is cutting out in flight and causing the problem. I sure would appreciate some ideas!
Thanks
Don
That would be the rudder assist, look back in this thread for the flight test video and they explain that mix.

Greg
Oct 15, 2012, 09:04 PM
Registered User
Thanks for the help. I will search back and read up on the rudder assist. I solved my motor problem. Stupid me...when I glued the nacelle back on after a crash I was too liberal with the glue. Too much glue slows down motors really well!! Anyway, removed excess and motors now run fine,
Don
Oct 16, 2012, 02:33 AM
Registered User
King1522 Also do a ground check that the pushrod is moving cleanly through the little white plastic guide that is close to where it comes through the fuselage. if that has moved due to a knock, it can cause it to rub and not move smoothly.

With the wings off I have noticed that the pushrods can sometimes flex internally which limits the amount of throw they will give your surfaces.

I would recommend fully testing the movements of all surfaces at home just to make sure its not going to happen to you again, if you need to make a quick landing for some unforseen event and your right rudder is failing, it could end up in a mess you might have easily avoided.
Oct 16, 2012, 10:45 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Nighthawk74's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY
While I'm still a beginner, my skills and confidence have grown since the last time I posted. Here's a link to a video of me flying our Firebird Stratos at high speed, mostly full throttle, around the field at low altitude this afternoon. I love that the Firebird can float along at half throttle and glide so well with no power at all, but will also really move along if you ask it to.

Jay
Nice flying there, Jay

What camera are you using? Damn fine video quality


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion HobbyZone Firebird Commander 2 jakob98 Electric Sailplanes 0 Sep 09, 2011 05:48 PM
Sold Hobbyzone Firebird Phantom parts - $30 take all PACubFlyer103 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Sep 07, 2011 05:34 AM
Sold Hobbyzone Firebird Outlaw RTF - Great for kids and/or beginners baddb1 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 May 08, 2011 07:36 PM
Discussion Why was HobbyZone Firebird Freedom RTF dicontinued? cschrein Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 2 Apr 19, 2011 07:15 AM
Sold Hobbyzone Firebird Commander 2 Plus Extras banjo_nc Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Apr 01, 2011 07:49 PM