Sep 16, 2012, 08:59 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by black6088 View Post
Do the spinners on the Stratos provide any function, or are they just for looks? I seem to lose them on any "rough" landing, and have flown without them on several occasions without any noticeable change in flight characteristics (at least noticeable to me). Also, since the props are just pushed onto the shafts (with great effort, I might add), has anyone ever lost a prop in mid-flight?

Tom
My guess is those "spinners" are simply there for looks...
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2012, 09:00 AM
Closed Account

Aborted maiden...

Planned to maiden my new Stratos this morning at first light... but as luck will have it, it's raining here in north Texas

So... perhaps next weekend.

... Lennie

Sep 16, 2012, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post

Out of the box, they say the TX defaults to low rates.

I noticed during my run of the motors and control surfaces this morning that the rudder and elevator sure seemed to have a heck of a lot of throw - almost like it was set on high rates...

Anybody else experience this.

Fortifies chuck's suggestion to go real easy on the sticks.

... Lennie

From memory, I think the Tx LED flashing = low rates and solid = high.
Sep 16, 2012, 11:57 AM
Closed Account
You're absolutely correct, Gerry... and during my testing that's how the transmitter was showing, flashing for the low rates.

Rudder and elevator exhibited about 1/8" throws to either side which seemed to be quite a lot. But I'm no Stratos expert.

... Lennie
Sep 16, 2012, 12:16 PM
Quote:
You're absolutely correct, Gerry... and during my testing that's how the transmitter was showing, flashing for the low rates.

Rudder and elevator exhibited about 1/8" throws to either side which seemed to be quite a lot. But I'm no Stratos expert.

... Lennie
As long as they move less than when on high rates all should be fine. Switch to high rates and check.
Sep 16, 2012, 02:31 PM
Closed Account
Slight difference which tells me low rates may be just about 80% of full... (guess)
Sep 16, 2012, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by black6088 View Post
Do the spinners on the Stratos provide any function, or are they just for looks? I seem to lose them on any "rough" landing, and have flown without them on several occasions without any noticeable change in flight characteristics (at least noticeable to me). Also, since the props are just pushed onto the shafts (with great effort, I might add), has anyone ever lost a prop in mid-flight?

Tom
I have replaced props on my Stratos but left the spinners off. I can't see a prop falling off on this plane. Like you said they are on tight, actually a pain to swap oldies for new ones.
Sep 17, 2012, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsaturbulence View Post
I actually have about a ten foot touch down zone, and if i come in an inch or 10' too high, I have an 80 degree full throttle climb to make a go-around. It is sporting, but forces concentratition, and NO landing ABOUT in this general area. I committ and stick, or crash in a skip or can't pull off an 80 degree climbout. No guts, no glory. Makes for positive and dedicated glideslopes and finals. My champ would just stall and float down. If I pull the nose up on the Stratos to try and bleed off speed and lose altitude, the forward speed makes the plane follow the nose, and I am having a hard time with a late flare, cause the forward speed actually causes a new flight path that follows the nose. Learning in progress. 100 landings in a 100' wide yard despite wind direction. I have dislodged the wing about 3 times, and tore the battery hatch catch out once in a really stuck pancake landing. Every other one may not have been pretty, put have been acceptable. I am proud of at least half... and learning.... The 17 oz of the Stratos lets me fly when the 1 oz Champ was grounded, But the forward inertia of 17 oz, especially with a tailwind, is a thinking, or dumb man's game. I have the second half covered, practicing to perfect the first, Low intermediate is my HIGH goal... :-) Lord. please let them progress the Statos brick to DSM2 so I can use a real controller, and stop guesing at time, which I keep accurate, plus or minus 30 minutes???? I love my Stratos..... just want the company to make it better, since I am an assembler, which is world's different than a builder, and I KNOW it....
I just set the timer on my cheap Casio watch to go off after 7 mins. This is what I did when I was using a DX5i before graduating to a DX7. I actually like the little red controller for the plane as I hold it in one hand and fly this thing with ease. Plus, I am much more willing to leave it in my car at all times copmared to my DX7. BTW, I call this plane my "Hangover" plane as I could fly this thing even with a bad hangover.
Sep 17, 2012, 10:49 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp73 View Post
BTW, I call this plane my "Hangover" plane as I could fly this thing even with a bad hangover.
I got a chuckle out of that one... very good.
Sep 17, 2012, 11:46 AM
Quote:
I got a chuckle out of that one... very good.

Glad I could make someone smile on this Monday morning.
Sep 17, 2012, 06:15 PM
Closed Account

My "virgin"

Thought I'd immortalize my bird while she's still a virgin...

Name: DSC00067.jpg
Views: 104
Size: 70.3 KB
Description: Plane with a brain #1

Name: DSC00068.jpg
Views: 104
Size: 80.5 KB
Description: Plane with a brain #2

Name: DSC00069.jpg
Views: 111
Size: 90.0 KB
Description: Plane with a brain #3

... Lennie
Sep 18, 2012, 08:01 AM
Greetings, does anyone have a shot what kind of payload the stratus would be able to cope with on the nose, given I would offset the CG by moving the battery aft (put it on the fuse if necessary)?

Thanks

Btw. there's a sale coming up for the EU buyers, €85 at Lindinger on the 21. & 22nd.
Sep 18, 2012, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMoron View Post
Greetings, does anyone have a shot what kind of payload the stratus would be able to cope with on the nose, given I would offset the CG by moving the battery aft (put it on the fuse if necessary)?

Thanks

Btw. there's a sale coming up for the EU buyers, €85 at Lindinger on the 21. & 22nd.
I have one of those visor flash lights velcro'd to the battery hatch and it has absolutely to effect on the plane.
Sep 18, 2012, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp73 View Post
I have one of those visor flash lights velcro'd to the battery hatch and it has absolutely to effect on the plane.
If you could tell me the weight of those, I'd very much appreciate it
Sep 18, 2012, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMoron View Post
If you could tell me the weight of those, I'd very much appreciate it
I am not sure. It is plastic with 2 watch type batteries in it. It cannot be all that much.

Quick Reply