Oct 16, 2003, 12:46 AM
Landings are not optional
Thread OP

So THAT"S why it was so slow!

So, I posted the thread a few days ago about looking for more power on my Ele-Bee flying wing, and a few people mentioned that I should have more power, even stock speed 400. So, as I started stripping for the re-build (look for a thread soon) of the plane, I took the power system off and decided to replace the stock speed 400 with a re-timed, rewound one (Zagi motor). So when I took out the old motor, it had a rattle ! So I pulled the back of the motor off, and what do I find? A washer form somewhere is sitting, loose, on the stator! Below is a pic of how it came out. That can't be good for power.

My guess is that this was the thrust bearing in the motor, and somehow an impact (but it's a pusher... A crash would have pulled it out...?) or something knocked the solder joints off the washer and it came loose, and proceeded to rattle around on the stator for who knows how long.

It obviously had broken solder joints, and the inside has chipped edges, and looks like it's been bouncing on the shaft awhile, as it's a good 1/16th of an inch bigger than the shaft it is supposed(I think) to fit on.

I haven't had a chance to fly again (I'm rebuilding the plane lighter and smoother), but I did do a bench test of the new motor and prop, and while the thrust (from memory) wasn't all that different, it certainly was quieter. So thanks to all that made suggestions on the other thread, I'm going to try it like this and with all my new mods and see what happens.

BTW - this is a close-up picture of the armatures, stator, and the washer which was bouncing on them. The prop would have run on the far right end of the shaft just visible, and the force was pressing the (melted looking) plastic stator arm against the end of the motor under power.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2003, 08:25 AM
Single-task at best...
That looks nasty!

I'll move this thread to Power systems, so others can see it and make derisive comments............

tim
Oct 16, 2003, 08:31 AM
Honorable native of Kekistan

ZAG MOTOR...

Duece...well at least it was an inexpnsive item..I know people in my club flying the same Spd 400 motor for 3 years before they burn out..!!Tell us about that new ZAGI motor....I wonder if it is any hotter than the retimed ones from Nippon Dave...

Quick Reply