Thread Tools
Feb 23, 2012, 04:40 PM
DWTRIAC23
Discussion

3 Channel vs 4 Channel


Is it just me or is 4 channel much more difficult to fly than 3 channel? I have tried a few different 4 chnl. heli's and just can't seem to get the hang of it. I never was good at video games either. I think I am just going to stick with 3 chnl. Does anyone else feel this way?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 23, 2012, 06:37 PM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
4 channel is significantly more difficult, as well as being quite different. The number of 3 channel threads shows there are many who share your views.
Feb 23, 2012, 06:50 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
RoboHeli's Avatar
Don't let it discourage you. Yes, 4 channel coaxials are more challenging than the 3 channel ones but they can both be a lot of fun for different reasons. Speaking purely for myself, I enjoy the 3 channels for quick fun flights around the office when I want to take a break from work or when I'm flying with my kids. The 4 channels are good for when I actually schedule time for flying as an actual activity and not just something to do as a break. They're more challenging but I find them very rewarding because of the difficulty involved. That's just me though.

What I really like about the 3 channels is the variety of the different models and the difference in flight performance. Between my tiny S110Gs, rock-solid S107Gs, dual-mode JXD 339s, and the total funbucket S026G (gotta get me another one of those) there's a lot to love.
Feb 24, 2012, 12:04 PM
OldCuss
AxlMyk's Avatar
Took me a week to do more than hover in place.
Took a month to stop breaking so many parts on it.
I've never flown a 3 channel, except for my AH pocket copter.
Feb 24, 2012, 02:27 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
4ch is more difficult to pay for. It will do more than 3ch but that includes getting itself into trouble faster.

The current generation of stability-enhanced 4ch singlerotors are 'less harderer' than their predecessors. As pilot skills go mine are just better than "impaired" yet I've been flying a 120 size singlerotor in breeze, including some 'unscheduled' landings, for a year and busted exactly $2 worth of parts. How hard can it be?
Feb 24, 2012, 02:43 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab
4ch is more difficult to pay for. It will do more than 3ch but that includes getting itself into trouble faster.

The current generation of stability-enhanced 4ch singlerotors are 'less harderer' than their predecessors. As pilot skills go mine are just better than "impaired" yet I've been flying a 120 size singlerotor in breeze, including some 'unscheduled' landings, for a year and busted exactly $2 worth of parts. How hard can it be?
Hey i like this guys thinking! Good for you. I just got a small mini 3ch and it works fine. I have much bigger ones but they are much harder to fly. Busted some parts for big ones and repaired them. Wait till later and get some stick time.
Dan
Feb 24, 2012, 02:59 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
SoloProFan's Avatar
The main problem with 4 channel is that you have to learn to control one function on a stick, without unintentionally altering the position of the stick on the other axis, so the other control function doesn't get disturbed, and on both sticks. In mode 2 this means being able to alter altitude without the heli starting to yaw, and the other way, not having the heli make an unintentional climb or descent when simply making a turn.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Feb 24, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Feb 24, 2012, 04:12 PM
OldCuss
AxlMyk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro
, and the other way, not having the heli make an unintentional climb or descent when simply making a turn.
Which is my biggest problem.
Feb 24, 2012, 05:32 PM
Master Of My Universe
scotsoft's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxlMyk
Which is my biggest problem.
It is just patience and practice.

Don't be in a rush, learn to hover first then move forwards and back.
When you get more comfortable with those try side to side but always come back to your start point.
Circuits will come but learn the basics first and give yourself a good grounding to more advanced flying.

One big thing to remember - THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN
If it is getting frustrating take a break and go back later to try again.

I've been flying helis for over 30 years and I am still learning new things to try

cheers John.
Feb 24, 2012, 05:41 PM
OldCuss
AxlMyk's Avatar
Sometimes I wonder if it's the heli itself. Flying a GW9958.
I give it rudder, and it just takes off. Waiting for the snow and wind to settle down so I can take it outside, where there is more recover area. I've been taking too many leaves off wife.life.mates' plants.
Feb 24, 2012, 05:47 PM
Master Of My Universe
scotsoft's Avatar
I don't own that heli and since it is a single rotor you should be over in the Micro Heli forum

This the link to it, they are just as mad there as they are here so don't worry
I linger in there as well lol
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1454770

You will find a lot more info about the rudder over there

cheers John.
Feb 24, 2012, 06:21 PM
OldCuss
AxlMyk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft
I don't own that heli and since it is a single rotor you should be over in the Micro Heli forum

This the link to it, they are just as mad there as they are here so don't worry
I linger in there as well lol
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1454770

You will find a lot more info about the rudder over there

cheers John.
Yep. I know that. Just remarking on the learning curve for 4ch.
I have 2 co-axials that are a breeze to fly, once you get your brain wrapped around right/left, fore/aft, throttle up/emergency off.
Feb 24, 2012, 11:51 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtriac23
Is it just me or is 4 channel much more difficult to fly than 3 channel? I have tried a few different 4 chnl. heli's and just can't seem to get the hang of it. I never was good at video games either. I think I am just going to stick with 3 chnl. Does anyone else feel this way?
I got highly addicted to my 3-ch Blade Scout CX, but finally pushed myself out of my comfort zone and picked up an mCX2. It's really quite a docile heli, at least as long as you keep the Tx on the slow response curve setting. I taught myself in stages, first learning how to trim the heli so that it would do a hands-off hover if I got into a panic situation. I've now gotten to the point where I can navigate around our cramped apartment without a crash, and find that while cutting figures with the 4-ch is a little more challenging, the reward is that with aileron control you can do more precise take-offs and landings.

You don't say which 4-ch helis you've tried, but I'd recommend the mCX2. It's very forgiving, and took a few crashes without breaking a single part.

Don't get discouraged; I'm no game whiz either, but am managing to get pretty comfortable with the 4-ch thing.
Feb 25, 2012, 01:17 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
SoloProFan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxlMyk
Sometimes I wonder if it's the heli itself. Flying a GW9958.
I give it rudder, and it just takes off. Waiting for the snow and wind to settle down so I can take it outside, where there is more recover area. I've been taking too many leaves off wife.life.mates' plants.
That's not a common problem for a 9958. Most of these small single rotors tend to climb slower than their coaxial versions. If you want a really twitchy throttle, try a Nine Eagles 210a Solo coaxial. It's barely 27g, so lighter than the 9958, and both rotors provide lift, while on a single rotor part of the battery's power is used for the tail rotor, which provides no lift. Making rudder turns while not changing altitude unintentionally with that heli, is great 4 channel training.
Feb 25, 2012, 10:16 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro
If you want a really twitchy throttle, try a Nine Eagles 210a Solo coaxial.
Yep, I had one of these for a short while and found that out. The Blade mCX2 seems to be at least a little less sensitive in this regard.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion turning a 3 channel to a 4 channel on my supercub?? dutch2081 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 8 Jul 26, 2011 08:35 AM
Discussion Making a 3 channel respond like a 4 channel immelguy Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 18 Jun 10, 2011 06:17 AM
Discussion 4 channel vs 3 channel questions APJudson Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 3 Sep 22, 2010 08:33 AM
Question 3 channel vs 4 channel pgls421 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 12 Jan 29, 2010 02:04 PM
Discussion New B 4 channel vs 3 channel mcfallows Electric Plane Talk 28 Aug 14, 2007 07:00 PM