Oct 15, 2003, 06:49 PM
Thread OP

Miles Sparrowhawk free plans now available to download

Following on from successful flight testing last month, I am happy to announce that plans for my 52" span Miles Sparrowhawk for 10 cells/buggy motor/Master Airscrew gearbox are now freely downloadable from my website. This is a lovely-flying little model which I'm sure is going to give many hours of enjoyment.
The plan is available in both Design Cad .DW2 format (the original design format) and Autocad .DXF. I would very much appreciate feedback from anyone who downloads the .DXF version to know if the file conversion was acceptable.

My web address is:

www.users.bigpond.com/greddin

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Graham Reddin
Last edited by greddin; Oct 16, 2003 at 11:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2003, 07:23 PM
Plans came through just fine in .dxf format.

Thanks for sharing the nice work!

Jerry Holcomb
Oct 15, 2003, 07:36 PM
Thread OP
Thanks very much, Jerry. Sometimes the conversion process loses the curve smoothness and line-type info (e.g. dotted,centre-line etc.). Glad these ones have converted okay.

Cheers,
Graham Reddin.
Oct 15, 2003, 07:40 PM
Greddin

Thanks for posting your amazing work.
The lippisch is tremendous.

Sincerely,

Helge
Oct 16, 2003, 08:35 AM
Thread OP
Thank you, Helge. So many aircraft, so little time...

Cheers,
Graham.
Oct 16, 2003, 07:19 PM
Visitor from Reality
Hi Graham
Downloaded the DCAD version fine.

only snag - the text came up in a wierd graphical symbol font instead of regular readable writing - easily fixed!

Thank you for your efforts.

Now - why do I keep eyeing up my "units" command and wondering how much 24 cells will haul ...?

Dereck
Oct 16, 2003, 10:37 PM
Thread OP
Hmmm.....that's peculiar, Dereck. I can only think that the font I used on the original plans (Technic) is not installed on your computer?? As you say, the fix in this case is simple. If anyone else has this problem with the .DW2 version, simply open the drawing then use the following menu selections:

EDIT - ENTITY SELECT - TEXT then double click on the selection to bring up the dialog box which enables you to select another font applicable to the existing text.

For information, when I opened the .DXF version of the plan on my computer to check it, it changed the Technic font to Arial.

Thanks for reporting the bug! Twenty-four cells; now that would create quite a balsa overcast.....

Cheers,

Graham.

P.S. This is what the font should look like...
Oct 17, 2003, 01:32 AM
Hi Graham!

What a nice selection or airplanes you've got on you web site! I am really interested in the MBB Bo 209 MONSUN which seems a perfect fit for my Mega S7 motor, I have lying around. I bought this motor a few years ago, when there were no cheap brushless motors available, with intention to use it in one of my sport/aerobatic designs.
Anyway, I am unable to unzip the DXF file (the program tells me, the file is not a valid zip archive!?) and would appreciate if you could mail the DXF file to me?
I would like to save it and one day I just might build it ... to many airplanes, no time!

Cheers,
Bostjan
Oct 17, 2003, 05:58 AM
Thread OP
Hi Bostjan,

Thanks for the kind remarks! I've just checked the Monsun .DXF zip file on the website and it has been corrupted. I posted a new one in its place, which should be O.K. !!

I am still happy to send you this file by email, or the unzipped .DXF file (1.4mb) if you prefer. Please let me know your email address and I'll send the data.

Cheers,
Graham.
Last edited by greddin; Oct 17, 2003 at 08:43 AM.
Oct 17, 2003, 09:01 AM
Visitor from Reality
HI Graham
That's my fix! Not sure why Technic came up in graphics, it appears to be on my list of fonts, but no great sweat.

Best thing about the Miles at any size is that its a superbly clean aircraft, structurally and in detail. My favourite type is the Ford Flivver, but the amount of 'stuff' hanging around that 22 foot span aircraft is staggering - from the dummy radial back to the steerable tailwheel built into the rudder (or maybe that's the other way around ? ). Sparrowhawk, OTOH, is clean from one end to the other.

I'm just suffering from an urge to have something that really is "IMAA Legal" - must be getting pompous in my old age The 84" Cub is really only a parkflier according to big bird types, and the "Winter Project" is looming on the horizon.

Still looking, but there's a new kit out there of something big, bad, fat and fast in red and white ...

Regards

Dereck
Oct 17, 2003, 09:27 AM
Thread OP
...big, bad, fat and fast in red and white...??? That's either got to be a Gee Bee or Santa Claus.....

Cheers,
Graham.
Oct 17, 2003, 04:10 PM
Visitor from Reality
Hi Graham
Don't believe in Santa, ever since I asked him for a date with Tina Turner and he didn't come through Yeah, it's the baddest of the bad - Adrian Page's new 1/4 scale R1/2, at 75" span and FAT If my calculator program (ask Tom Cimato at MaxCim, he's always been right ) says it will go on 24 and a deep geared MaxCim 13Y, it could be this winter's big one.

By one of life's little ironies, just after I get back from four days in Orlando, I find out that the replica R is heading to the Fantasy of Flight museum just south of Orlando

Your Sparrowhawk at 82" is 1300 squares! Now, where did you get your documentation from, I wonder? It's a lot sleeker than the Gee Bee and at that size, true scale is no sweat. Mind you, neither was my 52" Chilton and it flew fine.

There's something deeply weaselly about picking prototypes without bits of engine hanging out of the front end - but it saves a bunch of time

Regards

Dereck
Oct 17, 2003, 06:59 PM
Thread OP
Hi Dereck,

I had always thought the shape of those Gee Bees was based on a can of Budweiser beer - a raw material no doubt used in great quantities during the design and flight-testing phases of these aircraft...

I used Phil Kent's 3-view of the Sparrowhawk in the May/June 1998 RC Scale International to prepare my plans - he says it's the most accurate around. There are some good colour-scheme references in that article too, including G-ADWW.

My belief in Santa disappeared when he failed to bring me Angie Dickinson....

Cheers,
Graham.
Oct 17, 2003, 07:18 PM
Guys,
If there's no Santa, who is it drinks all my booze every Xmas? The wife swears it isn't her and I know it isn't the dog because she can't get the tops open.
More to the point, who keeps leaving me all these damn socks?

Pete
Oct 19, 2003, 05:09 AM
Hi Graham,

Thanks for your help! I downloaded the new DXF file and it unzipped without any difficulties. I have just downloaded all the Monsun construction photos and saved them on my computer. If I ever get to build it, I promise to send you some photos.

Cheers,
Bostjan

Quick Reply