This thread is privately moderated by KCV6, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 23, 2012, 09:20 AM
lurking in the HOLE :)
Thread OP
Build Log

Hybrid Droidworx Quad Part 2. Booms

Decided to split the build into sections:

This section will detail the booms motor mounting and wiring of ESC's so each boom can be unplugged and unbolted as a complete unit. I used this same approach on the Octo. While it means there are a lot of power connectors, wiring from the speedie to the motors is hard wired.

I decided that a motor spacing of 800mm would be a good starting point so I cut 4 spare 500mm 20mm diameter carbon booms back to 400mm being careful to cut from the existing motor end so the through holes used by the inner boom mounts were left.

I drilled and tapped out the motor mounting holes to M4. These are spaced at 25mm. The SK 3548 970Kv motors come with M3 mounting holes standard.

Rather than buy or fabricate round motor mount blocks I decided I would use the spare boom mounts from an un-used crash cage in conjunction with the standard heavylift mounting plates from Droidworx. The hole spacing on the boom clamps is 26mm so I decided to drill them out to 5mm to make for a tight fit. The slotted motor mount plate was then screwed to the base of the motor with 2 x CSK M4 fasteners and longer M4 cap heads would be used to hold the motors and plate to the boom clamps. This worked out quite well and there is no flex at all in the motor clamping to the boom. The Long M4 bolts thread into the motor end by about 1D (4mm) so this should be enough thread to make for reliable mechanical strength.

I will probably purchase some new mounts once I decide on the final configuration. I can already see this growing to CX4 or Hexa

I had eight spare boom Nacelles. These sit in the prop wash and present a more streamlined shape than a round boom. I tried these on the Octo and they did make a small improvement in flight time so decided I would give them a go on the Quad.

Below are pics of the completed booms and one in pieces showing the assembly steps.

I always put red or day-glow orange on my rear booms and band it with some prismatic sticker sheet. This makes orientation a lot easier to determine in the air. Some prefer to do the front I prefer the identification at the back. I will put a light coat of clear on the booms once they are all finished to bring out the "bling of the carbon weave. Weight is not too much of an issue with this build. I want it heavy so it will have simular characteristics to the Octo.
Last edited by KCV6; Feb 24, 2012 at 10:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply