This thread is privately moderated by KCV6, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 23, 2012, 08:56 AM
lurking in the HOLE :)
Thread OP
Build Log

Hybrid Droidworx large Quad build

Decided I'd start a build log on my latest multirotor.

I had a lot of spare Droidworx bits left over from the build of our Droidworx SkyJib 8 last year. The Big Octo is problematic in getting it out regularly to fly for several reasons. When being used for work it's classified as a UAS and requires a certified UAS operator and even when it isnít being used for work it is awkward to transport in one piece.

Anyway I happen to have a bunch of Droidworx bits and pieces spare. The main parts I am missing are the center plates and motor mounts. I figured I would 3D model up my own plates to accept the 20mm diameter booms and boom holders I had and make the mounts out of boom holders and the spare coax plates I had. I could always invest in 4 coax mounts later and convert this frame into a CX4. I also have a full set of fixed extended landing gear spare. I'm not sure if I will use these or make up a new shorter set as this Quad is more for fun and possibly to do some training with for some of the guys I work with.

Anyway I guess the first decision was what motors and props to run. Once I sorted this out I could make a decision on what length to cut the spare 500mm booms back to. I decided to use Turnigy 3548 970Kv motors (I had a couple already) spinning APC 14"x4.7" SF props. This made sense as the Octo was already using these props and I had plenty of 4S LiPos which would power these motors fine.

Next choice was to pick ESCís. I had a spare Plush 60A in my spares box along with 4 40A Plush. I decided I would rather fork out for more 60ís then run close to the limit with the 40ís, so I ordered 3 more 60A Plush. They should be here next week.

Pics below are of the Octo which to date has lifted a dead weight on the AV200 camera gimbal of 6.5Kg on 2 x 5000mAh 4S in parallel for 3 minutes.

Octo specs are:

Hoverfly Pro and GPS (GPS isn't fitted in the pics below).
Droidworx SkyJib 8 without crash cage.
AXi 2820/14
APC 14x4.7 SF
AV200 camera mount
Photohigher retracts (these are great )
various 4S LiPos (always 2 in parallel)
Last edited by KCV6; Mar 14, 2012 at 04:35 AM. Reason: 14x4.7 not 4.5
to remove ads between posts
Feb 23, 2012, 09:04 AM
hey man this is very nice.

im building my own but would love to see what you think of my plan.

its made out of 2mm carbon fibre and cnc cut would love your thoughts
Feb 23, 2012, 09:26 AM
Thread OP
2mm carbon is perfect for the center plates. I'm going to use 1.6mm glass fibre for the plates on the quad as I have a heap of it (PCB Substrate). I'm struggling to find big enough sheets of CF.

Mark
Feb 23, 2012, 11:00 AM
same its acualy very hard to find anything relli is the 1.6mm glass fibre strong enough for my boom idea do you think?

also carbon is insane expensive and know that fiberglass is less then half the price just thought to get same strenth as 2mm carbon i would have to use 6mm fiberglass could be wrong tho
Feb 23, 2012, 04:15 PM
Thread OP
It all depends on how you support the booms between the middle mounting plates. If there are enough hard mounting points spread between the two plates the load will be distributed enough across the plates to allow for thinner material. I had a look at your concept and will comment on it over on your blog. The main comment I would make is if you are gluing CF sheet, consider using CA rather than epoxy. It will be lighter and probably stronger providing the surfaces are cleared of the top coating of Epoxy. One of the Prism series of Loctite CA will work really well.

Mark

Quick Reply