haven't flown an rc plane in 4 years. am i flight worthy? - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Feb 23, 2012, 01:53 AM
Closed Account
Question

haven't flown an rc plane in 4 years. am i flight worthy?


i have been using the simulator g3 6.0 and its a breeze. BUT still im throwing this thread out there maybe someone has had a similar experience.

my past experience in planes:
-3 hours real flight g35
-parkzone spitfire 12 successful flights, weak tail kinks easily)
-sapac eurofighter edf (7 flights then trade for heli, FUN, but waay too much tinkering)
-bananahobby eurofighter edf (over 15 successful flights, i was dared to fly at night and was offered a replacement should anything go wrong, flight lasted 3-4 min lol not bad)

note: all planes were belly landers. ive never landed on wheels in real life.

is it safe to say i should be able to handle an aerobatic 3d plane? 60" WS electric 5s.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 23, 2012, 06:09 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
bartricky's Avatar
Should be good.
Low rates and daytime only...
Feb 23, 2012, 08:53 AM
Registered User
Well, I'm going to give my opinion because you asked. NO!

I am quite sure you'll do it anyway. Most folks that ask this kind of question have already made up their mind and are just looking for someone, even us strangers, ANYONE to provide the excuse to do it. There are exceptions, but I don't know you or your capabilities. Even with some experience, that is a pretty big jump. You have bought/ordered it, right? Good Luck!
Don
Feb 23, 2012, 09:25 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
dedStik's Avatar
I'd have to agree with dkrhardy. If you have to ask then you are already aware the answer which is probably no.

I'm just getting back into the sport myself after a 20 year hiatus. I've well over 200 hours stick time flying both gliders and high wing electric trainers. In no way shape or form do I think I'm ready to fly anything other than those, without an experienced pilot next to me.
Feb 23, 2012, 09:26 AM
Registered User
Disarray's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of stock

is it safe to say i should be able to handle an aerobatic 3d plane? 60" WS electric 5s.
Do you want to really get back into the hobby, or are you just having a bit of fun? What are you going to do if you crash it on its first flight? Are you going to quit and say never again? If you don't care, fly it. If you want to develop back into the hobby, find someone to trim it out, test fly and give you a bit of help.
Feb 23, 2012, 10:32 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy
Well, I'm going to give my opinion because you asked. NO!

I am quite sure you'll do it anyway. Most folks that ask this kind of question have already made up their mind and are just looking for someone, even us strangers, ANYONE to provide the excuse to do it. There are exceptions, but I don't know you or your capabilities. Even with some experience, that is a pretty big jump. You have bought/ordered it, right? Good Luck!
Don
you are absolutely RIGHT! im definitely going to fly it. as far as my capabilities mr dkrhardy, im capable. would you agree that flying an rc plane becomes a 2nd nature?
Feb 23, 2012, 10:34 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disarray
Do you want to really get back into the hobby, or are you just having a bit of fun? What are you going to do if you crash it on its first flight? Are you going to quit and say never again? If you don't care, fly it. If you want to develop back into the hobby, find someone to trim it out, test fly and give you a bit of help.
i wouldn't be too upset if i crash it. just build another one. im really getting into the hobby. theres no point giving up IMO. thanks
Feb 23, 2012, 10:35 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky
Should be good.
Low rates and daytime only...
yes sir!
Feb 23, 2012, 01:17 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
I flew allsorts ... gliders, pylon race, scale, helicopters etc. for about 20yrs .... then stopped in mid 90's ...

I returned to the hobby only about 3yrs ago ... so that was a long period away ....

My return to RC was an RTF ME109 ..... which only retired out about 6 months ago.
I now fly EDF, Hk Parkjet which on it's maiden flight hit 222 kph !! ... aerobatic biplanes, Cessna etc. and Trex 450 clones.

Did it come back like riding a bike ? First flight was unsteady but surprisingly the 'feel' came back quickly.
Did I use a sim to do it ? No ... I actually bought the sim after my return maiden flight.

Good luck to original poster ....
Feb 23, 2012, 06:46 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
I flew allsorts ... gliders, pylon race, scale, helicopters etc. for about 20yrs .... then stopped in mid 90's ...

I returned to the hobby only about 3yrs ago ... so that was a long period away ....

My return to RC was an RTF ME109 ..... which only retired out about 6 months ago.
I now fly EDF, Hk Parkjet which on it's maiden flight hit 222 kph !! ... aerobatic biplanes, Cessna etc. and Trex 450 clones.

Did it come back like riding a bike ? First flight was unsteady but surprisingly the 'feel' came back quickly.
Did I use a sim to do it ? No ... I actually bought the sim after my return maiden flight.

Good luck to original poster ....
congratulations on that! i just maidened today and it was a breeze! thanks for your input people!
Feb 23, 2012, 08:04 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
bartricky's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of stock
congratulations on that! i just maidened today and it was a breeze! thanks for your input people!
A BIG congrats.

We all knew you could do it

They say bigger planes are easier to fly...

Good luck, Bart
Feb 23, 2012, 09:04 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky
A BIG congrats.

We all knew you could do it

They say bigger planes are easier to fly...

Good luck, Bart
thanks a mill. i was nervous! im shocked i dint have any wet spots lol
Feb 23, 2012, 09:09 PM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
Planes like that are easy to fly because they fly really well. So if you take the time to make sure it's all set up right and go easy on the controls, you can learn a plane like that in a few flights. Problem is... they are not very crashable., a 60-inch plane hits pretty hard at any speed.
Feb 23, 2012, 09:14 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501
Planes like that are easy to fly because they fly really well. So if you take the time to make sure it's all set up right and go easy on the controls, you can learn a plane like that in a few flights. Problem is... they are not very crashable., a 60-inch plane hits pretty hard at any speed.
jasmine if this is you, i dont have your number. my phone slid off the roof my car. (my apologies if this isnt the jazzy j i know)

yes absolutely! this plane is too easy it scares me lol.
Feb 23, 2012, 09:32 PM
Registered User
My name is Don, that is why I posted it. I am very surprised you did that well, but good on ya!

Did you in fact maiden that 60" plane, or something else? Details, my man, details!


BTW, where are you. As in what country? I have not seen you here, so you are new to me.
Last edited by dkrhardy; Feb 24, 2012 at 09:36 AM.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Haven't started Nitro Sport in...years TexasXD1 Nitro and Glow Power Cars 2 Sep 24, 2011 02:55 PM
Rant Memorial Day and I haven't flown yet! MajorMal Chit Chat 3 Jun 08, 2011 03:21 AM
Discussion If you haven't joined an RC club... Pretorian435 Electric Plane Talk 42 Mar 22, 2011 02:26 PM
Discussion I Haven't Done This In Years - Awful Video, Even Worse Audio Buzz_Man Aerial Photography 0 Jun 25, 2010 09:21 PM
Discussion Am I crazy spending on a heli I haven't flown? Sky_Dancer Micro Helis 3 Sep 02, 2006 01:42 PM