Mar 06, 2012, 10:14 PM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
Monday's Sortie.
F-14 TOMCAT Rebuilt.mov (6 min 48 sec)
Last edited by bobdaeronort; Mar 07, 2012 at 09:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2012, 09:18 PM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
Only worked a 1/2 day at my new job today so I came home and video'd my Five Easy Piece F-14 TOMCAT build sequence. Included is my new "Elevons-On-A-Stick" method for the F-14, F-15 and soon to be rendered F-18 planes.

F-14 TOMCAT "Five Easy Piece" BUILD.mov (19 min 25 sec)
Mar 08, 2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the vid, I need to cut out another KFm strip, for some reason I was thinking of only one KFm strip. I do not think it will matter much with the motor I have in mind... but it will make inversion flying possible...with both strips ..
Mar 08, 2012, 05:01 PM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsfixit
Thanks for the vid, I need to cut out another KFm strip, for some reason I was thinking of only one KFm strip. I do not think it will matter much with the motor I have in mind... but it will make inversion flying possible...with both strips ..
You are very welcome.
I'm glad it helped.
Now I wanna see pics and vids of you flying the TOMCAT.
Mar 08, 2012, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdaeronort
You are very welcome.
I'm glad it helped.
Now I wanna see pics and vids of you flying the TOMCAT.
I am trying to find my micro balloons to fill some voids that resulted from me not cutting out of the parts exactly right. And I have to put some camouflage or better yet, plain grey paint airbrushed on.. I would also like to stiffen the nose LE and vertical stabs with some real aircraft fabric. much lighter than fiberglass.

I have a question about thrust angle of the motor/prop.. If tractor setup is down and to the right. is a pusher up and to the left? I do not have a lot of experience building pushers... except one spaFFFnutz flying wing, which I think is neutral in the thrust angle.
Mar 08, 2012, 10:13 PM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
Quote:
I am trying to find my micro balloons to fill some voids that resulted from me not cutting out of the parts exactly right. And I have to put some camouflage or better yet, plain grey paint airbrushed on.. I would also like to stiffen the nose LE and vertical stabs with some real aircraft fabric. much lighter than fiberglass.

I have a question about thrust angle of the motor/prop.. If tractor setup is down and to the right. is a pusher up and to the left? I do not have a lot of experience building pushers... except one spaFFFnutz flying wing, which I think is neutral in the thrust angle.
You want to be totally neutral on the thrust angle. you want it straight down the centerline of the main wing.
May I suggest that you just toss the F-14 in the air and get the feel of the plane. Then build your second one better with paint, etc.
Mar 09, 2012, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the info on thrust angle. I am going to get some work done on it today, I will post up a video, either from the plane or from the ground view. It is just a matter of when the winds will cooperate down here in Florida.
Apr 08, 2012, 11:12 PM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
Another romp with the Tomcat.

F-14 Tomcat Sunday (6 min 50 sec)
Apr 08, 2012, 11:14 PM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
Sunset fligt of my five easy piece F-14 Tomcat

F-14 TOMCAT's Sunset Spin.mov (5 min 31 sec)
Apr 09, 2012, 08:19 AM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
More sorties with my Tomcat
Tomcat's Prowl.mov (2 min 52 sec)
Apr 14, 2012, 09:13 AM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
Clear blue skies calm winds.....you know where I'm going with this.

Five Easy Piece F-14 Tomcat Sortie.mov (6 min 5 sec)
Apr 14, 2012, 10:14 AM
I did some work on my F14, but got side tracked by a .60 stroke nitro to electric conversion.. and recovering the wing with Koverall. The scraps of which will be used on the f-14 to strengthen some areas of the foam joints..
Apr 14, 2012, 11:03 AM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
Quote:
I did some work on my F14, but got side tracked by a .60 stroke nitro to electric conversion.. and recovering the wing with Koverall. The scraps of which will be used on the f-14 to strengthen some areas of the foam joints..
My whole build thing is sidetracked too as between work and helping my Babe get her house ready to sell there is no time to ponder.
I have build and flown two of my FEP F-14's now and I can tell you a weak point in crashes is a line parallel to the fuse and about an inch offset extending from the motor mount forward. The foam wants to split there upon a nose in type impact.
I didn't carry the KF airfoils over to the fuse because I liked the prototypical look of them stopping at the Nacelle line. I'm going to add a 12" piece of Carbon rod just behind the motor mount to stiffen this area. The Koverall might do the trick there too.
Apr 16, 2012, 07:59 PM
The Koverall works great with a 5 minute epoxy, thanks for the tip, it won't add but a few grams here and there. This motor I plan to use for the F14 should make have it unlimited vertical !
Apr 17, 2012, 09:36 AM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
Quote:
The Koverall works great with a 5 minute epoxy, thanks for the tip, it won't add but a few grams here and there. This motor I plan to use for the F14 should make have it unlimited vertical !
You're welcome.
I have flown my F-14 with the Grayson hobby Micro-Jet v3, Super-Sonic v2 and the Super-Mega-Jet v2. I prefer the SMJv2. Although it does well with the SSv2 and a 7x5 prop.
Please post a video when you take her up.

Quick Reply