Feb 27, 2012, 06:00 PM
Thanks Bob, I got the plans printed out and I am going to start trimming the tiles hopefully later tonight. I am going to review your videos and take a look at your hinge design...
to remove ads between posts
Feb 27, 2012, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsfixit
Thanks Bob, I got the plans printed out and I am going to start trimming the tiles hopefully later tonight. I am going to review your videos and take a look at your hinge design...
When you trim ScaleAndTile3-generated tiles, be sure you leave all of the border line intact. The tiles are designed so that the joined border lines have the same line weight as the crosses at the corners.

This is the intended work flow for assembling tiles:

1. Start with the top row, upper left hand corner, i.e., row1, col1. Don't trim.
2. Trim the left edge of the next tile in the row, i.e., row1, col2, just to the border line on its left edge, being careful not to remove any of the border line.
3. Position the tile from step 2 so the left edge border line just touches the right edge border line of the tile in step 1, and tape in position. The joined borders should have a line weight the same as the lines that make up the crosses at the corners.
4. Repeat above steps until you finish a row.

Next and remaining rows, until done:

1. Trim the top edge of each tile, as well as the left edge of all but the first in the row, just to the border line.
2. Repeat steps 1 to 4 above, joining matching borders.

Cheers,
Bill Segraves

P.S.

Simpler procedure:
1. Trim the left and top edge of every tile.
2. Assemble as described above.

I'll send Bob a PDF of the assembled tiles, if desired.
Last edited by segraves; Feb 28, 2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Simpler procedure
Feb 27, 2012, 11:52 PM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
Since I posted the Tomcat's PDF Pattern friday there have been 48 downloads of the untiled PDF (45 today alone) and 8 of the tiled version since I posted it this afternoon.
Feb 28, 2012, 12:09 AM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
Quote:
The Taileron hinge is a piece of cake. take a 3mm carbon rod and lay it in the tail notches and cut it so 1/4" sticks out past each side of the nacelle. Cut the straws the length I show on the plan of the taileron and slip them over the carbon rod.
i just hot glued the rod in the notches. You can also add a strip of the hinge tape to hold the rod in but the Hot Glue does the job. I put a bead of hot glue on the hinge edge of the Taileron and attach it in position to the straw with the straw just a hairs width past the inside edge of the taileron so that the straw edges touch and not the foam.
Then I put a piece of hinge tape over the straw and onto the taileron. There should be enough gap between the nacelle and the taileron to attach a control horn and clear the control rod.

The CG is 8.5" back along the leading edge of the wing from the wings intersection with the side of the nacelle.
With a GH SMJv2 (2550kv) motor the 2200mah Li-Po ends up hidden by the intakes. With the smaller GHMJv3 (2200kv) motor a 1600mah Li-Po is just past the front of the intakes.
Feb 28, 2012, 12:11 AM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by segraves
When you trim ScaleAndTile3-generated tiles, be sure you leave all of the border line intact. The tiles are designed so that the joined border lines have the same line weight as the crosses at the corners.

This is the intended work flow for assembling tiles:

1. Start with the top row, upper left hand corner, i.e., row1, col1. Don't trim.
2. Trim the left edge of the next tile in the row, i.e., row1, col2, just to the border line on its left edge, being careful not to remove any of the border line.
3. Position the tile from step 2 so the left edge border line just touches the right edge border line of the tile in step 1, and tape in position. The joined borders should have a line weight the same as the lines that make up the crosses at the corners.
4. Repeat above steps until you finish a row.

Next and remaining rows, until done:

1. Trim the top edge of each tile, just to the border line.
2. Repeat steps 1 to 4 above.

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
Excellent!
Thanks Bill
Mar 03, 2012, 12:35 AM
Hi, I am curious as to how you fold the nacelle parts. Do you cut out a 45 degree wedge from the inside of the dotted line fold lines? Or do you cut then glue the nacelle to form the intakes and battery storage area...

Pieces are cut, just wanted to clarify before I did something I would regret. Also, I have a Turnigy C3530-1700kv with a wide choice of props, do you think that is too low of a KV for this scratchbuild?
TIA
Mar 03, 2012, 07:49 AM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
Quote:
Hi, I am curious as to how you fold the nacelle parts. Do you cut out a 45 degree wedge from the inside of the dotted line fold lines? Or do you cut then glue the nacelle to form the intakes and battery storage area...

Pieces are cut, just wanted to clarify before I did something I would regret. Also, I have a Turnigy C3530-1700kv with a wide choice of props, do you think that is too low of a KV for this scratchbuild?
TIA
Editing again 4-pm 03/03/12: I just now understood what you meant by the wedge. Yes you cut that out extra bit of interior intake panel. I should have indicated on the plan that was a cut out. Sorry. It's not needed. You can leave them in if you like. it's just that they extend so far back that there is no good way to glue the back edge in.
Also I typically score the dotted line on the nacelle halves with my razor knife then gently fold them. I then add reinforcing tape to the inside of the fold. After I install the nacelles and check to be sure they are square with the fuse I run a bead of hot glue down the joint and cover that with a half strip of tape for good measure. The same with the interior nacelle intakes. Do not glue the nacelle halves together at the centerline just tape them together on the outside surface only as the center of the belly of the nacelle folds up to the bottom of the fuse.
This makes the gizmo hatch have a bend down the middle so I hinge it from the side. I also add a bead of hot glue down the center of the hatch to stiffen it.
It is best to glue the fuse perpendicular to the main wing then attach the nacelle.
I maidened my F-14 with a Grayson Hobby Micro-Jet v3 @ 2200kv with a 6x4 prop (which I think generates around 22oz of thrust), and 1600mah Li-po. Check the Video. I think it flew just fine. I put the bigger motor on Cuz I wanted to see how fast I could make her fly.
My F-14's maiden flight weight was around 12-13 oz.
So your 1700kv should put her through her paces just fine.
Last edited by bobdaeronort; Mar 03, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Mar 05, 2012, 12:15 AM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
last Tuesday's flights.

TOMCAT's Tuesday .mov (4 min 17 sec)
Mar 05, 2012, 08:08 AM
Ouch ! Then the flights look great.... This might be a redundant question but, how does the scored and folded ends of the nacelle join to the fuse? I get the intakes but It seems I have to fold the ends of the nacelle up forming a wide "v" depression on the bottom of the plane to join them to the fuse. In a previous post, you said those pieces were not necessary to form the gizmo box shown on your plans? I guess I need a picture of the bottom to show me how yours is setup. None of the videos or pics show that area..
TIA
Brett
Last edited by bsfixit; Mar 05, 2012 at 08:17 AM.
Mar 05, 2012, 06:33 PM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
Today's Tomcat sortie.

F-14 TOMCAT Rebuilt.mov (6 min 48 sec)
Mar 05, 2012, 06:37 PM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
Quote:
Ouch ! Then the flights look great.... This might be a redundant question but, how does the scored and folded ends of the nacelle join to the fuse? I get the intakes but It seems I have to fold the ends of the nacelle up forming a wide "v" depression on the bottom of the plane to join them to the fuse. In a previous post, you said those pieces were not necessary to form the gizmo box shown on your plans? I guess I need a picture of the bottom to show me how yours is setup. None of the videos or pics show that area..
TIA
Brett
The rectangular panels of the nacelles DO fold up to meet the fuse tabs an make a depressed gizmo box lid.
I am going to do a construction video as I build a new one. I will also go over the differences on the F-15 and F-22.
Sorry for the confusion.
Mar 05, 2012, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdaeronort
The rectangular panels of the nacelles DO fold up to meet the fuse tabs an make a depressed gizmo box lid.
I am going to do a construction video as I build a new one. I will also go over the differences on the F-15 and F-22.
Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks! BTW the Turnigy C3530-1700Kv motor, also known as TR35-30A-1700, should be a real blast of power, I plan on running a 7x5 pusher prop with it, 2200mAh lipo.. Just need to find the time to finish her...
Mar 05, 2012, 09:20 PM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks! BTW the Turnigy C3530-1700Kv motor, also known as TR35-30A-1700, should be a real blast of power, I plan on running a 7x5 pusher prop with it, 2200mAh lipo.. Just need to find the time to finish her...
She should be a real screamer then,
I love flyi'n mine. Took her out today again.
It's just a wonderful aircraft to spin around the sky.

Please post your Vid when you get her up.
Mar 05, 2012, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdaeronort
She should be a real screamer then,
I love flyi'n mine. Took her out today again.
It's just a wonderful aircraft to spin around the sky.

Please post your Vid when you get her up.
I might do one up on that... video from a #11 720p HD keychain video camera mounted on the wing... like this ..
P-51 Mustang (3 min 31 sec)

My Parkzone p-51 mustang with corsair landing gear added. Stock motor/prop
Sorry about the crappy music audio...
Mar 06, 2012, 10:11 PM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
Quote:
I might do one up on that... video from a #11 720p HD keychain video camera mounted on the wing... like this ..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4riGCzDHhus

My Parkzone p-51 mustang with corsair landing gear added. Stock motor/prop
Sorry about the crappy music audio...
Here's my last inflight video with my Kodak DVR on my RCP F-22v2 over Meadows field in Hautiaville.
Raptor Cam .mov (5 min 29 sec)

Quick Reply