NEW *** Pro Boat Westward 18 Sailboat - Page 10 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 19, 2015, 04:32 PM
Your customer
Picked up a Westward 18 a few weeks ago, and am now looking for a better vang for it. Has anyone seen a good idea that might be implemented on this micro yacht?

Also both booms on my model literally cracked in pieces. The plastic used was brittle. I've since replaced both booms with carbon tubes. Works much better now since I went with fuel tubing bands for adjustments - which the originals lacked.

I'm having loads of fun with this little guy. I travel for business, and this boat fits nicely in the backseat of every rental car that I've gotten.

----------------------------
Issues out of the box....
1. Boomvang mount glued on with an offset from the gooseneck.
2. Lack of adjustments for the sails
3. Both booms warped.

----------------------------
Info:
1. Boomvang
The Boom Jack or Boom Vang (8 min 5 sec)
Last edited by Silverexpress; Jun 08, 2015 at 05:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2015, 07:57 PM
It's size is what attracted me at first. It fits easily in the passenger seat.

I'm planning to sail tomorrow. Conditions are bad for my umx air squadron but good for the Westward.
Oct 16, 2015, 11:25 AM
I've been sailing the Westward a lot recently. Lots of fun and has been easy for me, especially to set-up.
May 18, 2017, 11:23 AM
What did they improve on the Westward V2?
May 18, 2017, 01:14 PM
Where's the lift?
There's an updated version? Hadn't heard. Headed to the Horizon website now....
May 18, 2017, 02:23 PM
Where's the lift?
Looks like an upgrade to the radio...
May 28, 2017, 09:29 AM
Resistance is futile
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgliderguy
Looks like an upgrade to the radio...
I hope so. The V1 has a TERRIBLE radio in it! Lost my Westward multiple times before replacing the radio.
Latest blog entry: New SOLING project arrives!
May 28, 2017, 07:20 PM

Just bought one, DOA

I just received mine. I can't say that the radio is any better because, after putting in fresh batteries, the receiver LED blinks rapidly and the servos only twitch.

Receiver says ECX13003; transmitter, PRB13004.

I have an email outstanding to Horizon Hobby, but I suspect it's a bad unit. I can't believe they all act this way.
May 28, 2017, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraba2
I just received mine. I can't say that the radio is any better because, after putting in fresh batteries, the receiver LED blinks rapidly and the servos only twitch.

Receiver says ECX13003; transmitter, PRB13004.

I have an email outstanding to Horizon Hobby, but I suspect it's a bad unit. I can't believe they all act this way.
Try re-binding the tx to the rx.
May 28, 2017, 09:09 PM
Ok, this is interesting. I unplugged the servos (just to get the receiver out to press the button easier) and this time the light stayed on. When I plug in a single servo, the light blinks erratically and the servo starts jumping.

I'd say that maybe the current to drive the servo was dragging down the receiver, but it's a fresh pack.

Ideas?

thanks for the reply, btw
May 28, 2017, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Ok, this is interesting. I unplugged the servos (just to get the receiver out to press the button easier) and this time the light stayed on. When I plug in a single servo, the light blinks erratically and the servo starts jumping.

I'd say that maybe the current to drive the servo was dragging down the receiver, but it's a fresh pack.

Ideas?

thanks for the reply, btw
Try plugging in a different servo if you have one. If the problem goes away then you have a bad servo. If not the then the rx is bad. Since it's under warranty still, I would call Horizon Hobby.
May 29, 2017, 09:31 AM

Fixed

The battery pack came from the factory plugged in backwards. Not sure why it needs a servo plugged in to tell you this, or why HH's Troubleshooting section doesn't mention it, but there it is. Off to try it in a buddy's pool...
May 29, 2017, 09:37 AM
One other piece of advice: (re: Another addition for the manual) Turn the range for the winch side all the way down, then work up as you trim the sails. The rudder side appears to do fine all the way up, but likewise, feel free to start small and work up.
May 29, 2017, 10:05 AM
Quote:
The battery pack came from the factory plugged in backwards. Not sure why it needs a servo plugged in to tell you this, or why HH's Troubleshooting section doesn't mention it, but there it is. Off to try it in a buddy's pool...
Cool! Glad you got it working.
May 31, 2017, 10:01 PM
Bought 2.....Enjoy...

Westward 18 Sailboat Sessions (4 min 48 sec)